Makeoverrr! CCM E-Flex III Stick Edition

stackem30

I've been using the black Sherwood 9950 for years — classic looking stick, always worked for my game. But as much as I want to keep buying them, it's become all too obvious over the last two years that these have become second-rate sticks, with their quality dipping considerably compared to years past. Paint flies off with every shot they take, and they chip and splinter easier than any stick I've used. I wanted to support Sherwood and keep getting my trusty stick, but I felt I had to upgrade.

I ended up buying a CCM E-Flex III (25" Crawford), and I saw some potential to make it look a bit more like my all-time favorite stick, the Heaton Helite III. I was never really a fan of sticks that had 'natural' paddles and dark shafts, and I like the look of a natural wood shaft (there are absolutely no jokes to be made here, I'm sure). My father used to take sticks like this and sand them down so that they'd look like this (that's me, age 12), so I decided to do the same with this new CCM. My wife and I just bought a new dining room table that I've been resurfacing, and I had too much sandpaper lying around not to have some fun with my gear ?

I used 100-grit sandpaper to take off the labeling, and smoothed it out with some 220-grit sandpaper. I gave it one more run with 0000 steel wool, but I don't think it was necessary — the shaft is still 'laminated' (or whatever you want to call it), and is probably smoother now than it was when I bought it. I think it came out pretty cool! I didn't expect those thin black stripes to stay, but I think they look great. 

Fun little project that took all of 20 minutes. I figured I'd throw it on here, in case anyone liked the idea and wanted to do it themselves.

IMG_1762.thumb.JPG.2a6c751b1c3a00dd8692890815917b33.JPGIMG_1766.thumb.JPG.b6a1c4e1f52adc1258ca46da059f985a.JPGIMG_1768.thumb.JPG.3b0cae4b19808cc6e50d555a8ee5c835.JPGunnamed.thumb.jpg.38f7b1c9f2f33dce98ee401997d17b82.jpg

@stackem30 great post! I love the look.

When you say the stick is still "laminated" do you mean even once you removed the black paint there was still a clear coat over the fiberglass reinforcements? Or is that bare wood w/ Fiberglass reinforcements that is smooth enough to not be concerned with splintering?

If the latter, I'd suggest a coat of spare varnish to just seal it up and keep from either splinters or discoloration.

21 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

@stackem30

If the latter, I'd suggest a coat of spare varnish to just seal it up and keep from either splinters or discoloration.

You know, I was thinking of giving it a coat of varnish because you're right, I'm pretty sure the 'laminate' I was referring to is the fiberglass. It's still incredibly smooth, but between a few shots and tapping the post with my stick, splinters can always happen... and fiberglass splinters are the worst. Good advice.

Looks like I'll have to extend my little project into this evening - thank you!

Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

I always apply a layer of clear packing tape to the shafts of my wood sticks.  It helps with splintering and keeps a nice smooth surface to avoid wear on my blocker palm.  Food for thought.

No kidding, that's one way to do it. I think I'm going to go with Bad Angle's idea, though ... I have more little jam jars and mason jars filled with varnish than I know what to do with, and it'll be nice to put some to use.

3 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Wow, this looks very nice! Those black stripes that you kept on there make the stick look awesome! Nice work!

Thanks. The stripes are there whether I wanted 'em or not — they're under a layer of fiberglass, like the rest of the design on the paddle. I'm happy they stayed on as well. Pretty cool to see how these things are layered.

13 hours ago, stackem30 said:

No kidding, that's one way to do it. I think I'm going to go with Bad Angle's idea, though ... I have more little jam jars and mason jars filled with varnish than I know what to do with, and it'll be nice to put some to use.

When I used wood sticks I did the same, only with "helicopter tape".  A little heavier than packing tape, but it held up very very well.  

https://www.amazon.com/ISC-Helicopter-OG-Surface-Guard-Tape/dp/B000O65W9Y?th=1

8 hours ago, stackem30 said:

FWIW, I took BadAngle's advice and applied two thin coats of varnish to the shaft I sanded. I gave it a quick scrub with 0000 steel wool, and now it's even smoother and shinier than before. All dry and ready to go for tonight.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.72b6c8ecf8276df42f44fb149292313b.jpg

Looks great and poke checks like ⚡... that's a twofer!!

On 6/26/2018 at 11:45 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Looks great and poke checks like ⚡... that's a twofer!!

Yessir, came out great. One of my teammates even said, "Hey man, that's a cool-looking stick." I was fairly surprised, as I've showed up with brand new, custom leg pads and a brand new mask, and nobody's ever noticed! I guess that's why we come here to show off our gear and fish for compliments hah...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived