Chest Proctector Buying Decisions

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I get the occasionally stinger in the bicep area of my R/GT. Aside from that I have zero stinger issues.

So good chance you'll feel them a big more being a senior unit, but it should be similar.

Thanks!  That’s what I was wondering.

I may have an opportunity to get a cheap original E flex Shield Pro. So it would be between the Senior G4 and the E shield Pro. I’m concerned with mobility in the E shield which is why I’d prefer the G4 but the stingers concerned me. 

8 hours ago, cwarnar said:

@Teezle really great review thread here: 

A lot of my thoughts and modifications are in this thread as well... amazing chesty as long as you have the bend in the elbow properly aligned and you check and maintain the laces that hold the elbows together. It doesn't take much, but you can save yourself some grief by just checking them every now and again. I used the G1 version for a number of years and now onto the G4. Never had a second thought about staying in this unit.

Do you have any specific questions about this chesty..?

16 hours ago, diyas prawara said:

do you have any recommendation of c/a that is huge but great mobility? currently im playing in senior league. i am 173cm tall but thin. my current c/a is brown 2300 custom but lately i feel that its just too small rather than my friends. 

Brians GNetiks - I am sure you can get last years model if you ask for it my son's is on his second one.

Light/ mobile and huge try to find one and try it

I played in a tournament this weekend using my G4 senior c/a for the first time. I must say I was very happy with the unit. So mobile from the minute I began playing with it and protection was not an issue after 4 games. I didn’t have any slap shots to test it though I still faced some hard shots and I don’t have any concerns with this unit. I’m coming from a 2009 Reebok AB Pro-spec chesty that I couldn’t move in so this is a nice change.  Depending on the level you are playing, this may a good option for an all around unit at a good price point. 

2DA0B2FC-4F24-4163-979E-58B0FEB78E8C.jpeg

I have the Warrior R/GT and have been using it a year now. Offers solid protection. Reasonably light but not the lightest. Adjustability is excellent. I have had one plastic buckle get broken from a slap shot on the arm so now using hockey tape to keep that strap in place. The weakest area are the arms. I’ve taken some stingers on the upper and upper side arms.  I look huge in this chesty and it does cover a lot of net which is a plus but head and arm flexibility is better on some smaller chest protectors.

If I do upgrade I think I’ll go with a Pro Vaughn Velocity Carbon which is what many NHL Goalies wear. Incredibly light, very protective, more form fitting on the shoulders. I think the Vaughn offers better mobility and flexibility but you would give up a little with the shoulder foaters.

With the Warrior I find it more difficult to look side to side and behind me when there is a guy behind the net. 

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Chest Proctector Buying Decisions
On 10/2/2018 at 11:36 AM, TheGoalNet said:

@thebigm Are you still active? Any insights?

Yes I am alive!

Been busy with some new products and Website/Booking stuff!

They are very close to the same in design I believe the foams are slightly different as the pro unit haves a higher density foam throughout.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to be looking to upgrade my Warrior Senior Ritual GT Chest Protector.  I like the weight of it, the size and the flexibility but I'm getting lots of stingers in my arms.  Based on some preliminary reviews and research the models that look interesting to me would be:

• CCM Premier Pro (front runner based on size, weight and protection)
  • CCM Extreme Shield II (as per @Vogilny#25 question why no NHL goalies are wearing this unit)
  • Warrior Ritual G2 Pro SE (Clearance for $219 on Goalie Monkey seem like a steal and keeps me in a similar model that I'm comfortable in). Love the arm protection.
  • Warrior Ritual G4 Pro. This thing is a beast.  Need to compare weight with other models.  I would worry this could affect my movements.
  • Vaughn Velocity VE8 Pro Carbon.  Love the weight and mobility in this unit but I found the shoulders underwhelming, build quality looked cheap with lots of plastic buckles that could break like my current Warrior R/GT and I hear protection the arms do not have the best protection.  Not a fan of the elbow pads and how they put them in loose material. (dropping off my original list)

Let me know what many of you think.

On 6/26/2018 at 4:40 PM, Vogilny#25 said:

I dont know how the eflex is but after my premier pro chest i will never ever use a ccm chesty anymore. I must say i like the look and the shape of the new eflexy chesty. So here two pics of my arms in the premier chesty. I took also some bad stingers in the belly.

20180626_223557.jpg

Ouch, I guess the CCM Premier is now off my list. Those are nasty bruises. I’ve never been bruise that bad before. Then again I’m playing against lower level players. 

On 10/2/2018 at 10:43 AM, Deltadre said:

Ok. I just purchased the Senior G4 so I have the traditional arms but have yet to use it on the ice. I’m curious how much protection I’ll have in those arms.   They look similar to the G2 Pro classic and the R/GT Pro arms so if there are no complaints, maybe it’ll be fine. I’m not a fan or the robot arms or I would have considered the Pro G4. 

I get stingers in the R/GT arms. I’m looking to upgrade to a pro model either Warrior or CCM. 

16 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Why not upgrade to a Pro GT? I have no issues with my arms for what you are describing in your senior model

I think that is certainly an option that I'm leaning towards. Just curious if others have thoughts on the CCM's vs. Warriors.  Why are no pro goalies really wearing Warrior but a good chunk of NHLers are big into the CCM Premier?  Similarly, the Extreme Shield II looks like a great chesty (seems to be selling well and good reviews online) not aware of any pros going with that model over the Premier.  

Well, today I had some fun on my day off trying on different chest protectors at Prohockey Life and Duke’s Sports. 

Here is my ranking of the four below on my short list:

1. CCM Extreme Flex Pro Shield II

- amazing fit for me with good balance of size, mobility and protection.

- best looking of the four and great arm protection to replace my Warrior Senior R/GT.

- really like all the Velcro strapping and customization 

2. Vaughn Velocity VE8 Pro Carbon 

- incredibly light and mobile in the arms. Best  movement of any chest protector ever.

- costs $100 CAD more than the others 

- shoulders seemed small to me and did not like all the plastic buckles that could break  

- I thought the materials and design seemed higher end in the CCM’s and Warrior.

3. CCM Premier Pro

- this thing is a beast

- shoulders and arms are massive and amazing protection with D30 foam in those areas

- it so big I don’t thing my current jerseys would be big enough

- mobility is an issue at least until it’s broken in

- love the fit on the body and arms

- this thing will block everything 

- I feel like I would be cheating wearing this thing

4. Warrior Ritual G4 Pro

- lighter than I thought 

- arms I found to be uncomfortable 

- I did not like the flexibility in the arms

- more for a blocking style goalie 

- good size to it and exceptional protection

288CB619-F461-41F7-AD8E-CFBFFB4444D7.jpeg

6906DB5E-F169-4D58-A186-8A113D62AA18.jpeg

F64A256F-0A45-4568-BF41-5BD13BF2752E.jpeg

303CF125-8CB4-4F48-9E4A-497534AFF133.jpeg

Funny enough I tried on all the same C&As today as well. I ended up going with the VE8 since Staubers Goalcrease hooked me up with a good deal and I love the mobility of it. Had I not gotten the deal on it though I think I would’ve gone with the eflex. I was really surprised by how comfortable it was and the way it wrapped the body. Of note though I would’ve got a medium in the CCM where as I got a large Vaughn. 

Wow that’s too funny!  Well if you got a deal that’s a solid chesty. If you are a mobile goalie that wants speed, dexterity and agility that chesty is amazing. If I was more athletic and in shape I’d probably go with the Vaughn. 

We’ll see if I change my mind over the next several weeks before I make the dive into buying a new one. Thanks for sharing. Let us know how it works out after a couple games.  

11 hours ago, Adam Cooper said:

- I feel like I would be cheating wearing this thing

This^^

I couldn't imagine all the break in time I'd have to put in on one of those, I'd probably end up going a size smaller than I'd wear in anything else. 

Played one game in my 2S so far. Took a couple solid slap shots to the arms from one of the top teams in our league. I felt them for sure, but I'd feel them in any c/a I've used before. 

Still have to dial in the shoulder straps a bit, and now I remember what a non-Vaughn c/a feels like before its broken in. My SLR pro carbon didn't need any break in, just getting the arms and floaters adjusted properly. 

Overall I'd describe it like wearing an exo skeleton vs. a super beefed up sweater. More air inside the 2S, but I don't feel any larger over all. Will go into a bit more detail in another post after a few more skates. 

Fun Fact: there's a loop on the back of the 2S to tie down to your pants

Archived