Attack of the Clones

TheGoalNet

1 hour ago, jeff da goalie said:

And I don't mind that they copied it.  That's for the other manufacturer to deal with.  it was the incessant carping about how the other manufacturers sucked and "we're better because we're made in Canada" crap that bothered me.  

Jeff, I agree with you 100%.  Their loudmouth antics and poor customer service (in my one and only experience with them anyway) are the largest reason I'm glad they're gone.   However, DL specifically disputed that Simmons ripped off other companies, which is totally laughable when you consider their entire body of work.

2 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Jeff, I agree with you 100%.  Their loudmouth antics and poor customer service (in my one and only experience with them anyway) are the largest reason I'm glad they're gone.   However, DL specifically disputed that Simmons ripped off other companies, which is totally laughable when you consider their entire body of work.

Is that like getting caught cheating on your spouse and saying it was only 1 time in 30 years? "My body of works proves I'm not a cheater"

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Hate to bump up an old thread, but this came across my facebook feed...

Screenshot_20200302-205007_Facebook.jpg

Don't feel bad about bumping old threads.  That is the desired procedure.  Otherwise we have 10 threads covering the same topic and I have to go and merge them all.  So someone is knocking off 'Dillas now?  @Don Straus you see this?

I know that's the guy that gets replica paint jobs and gets pros to sign them and then sells the masks.

12 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Don't feel bad about bumping old threads.  That is the desired procedure.  Otherwise we have 10 threads covering the same topic and I have to go and merge them all.  So someone is knocking off 'Dillas now?  @Don Straus you see this?

I know that's the guy that gets replica paint jobs and gets pros to sign them and then sells the masks for ridiculous prices.

Fixed that for ya!

I think Don was tagged on a FB post about this.

9 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I think a different B company came up with this one... how does battram not get sued for this?

0C9D93C5-2CB5-40A9-9957-4C3A8E9693FB.jpeg

I'd be embarrassed as the owner of these gloves too. It's like putting a BMW emblem on a Dodge Avenger. When Brian's will literally build whatever you want, why would you go for a less expensive knockoff......

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

They’ve been doing this for a while, they try to use “well the customer asked me”, excuse. They don’t have common sense. 

4 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

I'd be embarrassed as the owner of these gloves too. It's like putting a BMW emblem on a Dodge Avenger. When Brian's will literally build whatever you want, why would you go for a less expensive knockoff......

Me and some other guys commented on the post and Battram took it down and reposted it with a different caption saying something along the lines of, “nice looking set of gloves to match the owner’s current pads”🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

9 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

Hell if you’re going for less expensive then why even buy custom gloves? Just padskinz the crap out of a retail pair like I did with my “heritage” G4 glove and blocker 😂

8C48C9C9-1AA1-4A19-B8B6-CF465FF21697.thumb.jpeg.1cdda42d2a5b0630e7534d5e17acb944.jpeg

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 1

see this doesn't bother me, 

designers have been ripping designs off each other for years, look at the professor strap and its varying incarnations dont see anyone bashing kenesky cos they copied vaughn

hell id love to drop $4k on custom gear like people do every year but its not viable, when there asking $700 for a catcher that may be some ones entire glove budget

i cant remeber who it was but ive seen potvin designs and the like fly about etc. just dont see the big deal, everyone jumps on battram because he was a bit of a tit in like 2004 and has been judged ever since

I did business with Scott in the late 90's or early 2Ks and found him to be personable and dedicated to his craft.  The gear I got from him turned out great and held up well.  I don't really know what happened with him later as I took a few year break from the online hockey scene and missed all the drama.

However, with all that said, he's gotten REALLY egregious with copying other companies designs.  When I worked with him he wasn't willing to come anywhere close to a graphic that might be mistaken for someone else's.  It's very disappointing to see him stray from that ideal.

• 2 months later...

Back in 2006 a company that I was working with produced a diving Drysuit called Fusion. Interesting to see that JRZ is using the same logo on their Fusion pads. Coincidence? I wonder if someone who works there is/ was a diver.

B90C2853-2B61-42FF-994D-59B84E69B8AB.jpeg

2388EB4A-67EB-4AFF-9417-7FA515D67727.jpeg

2FA7EE41-F437-4C92-91F9-AEF5F2E19E9B.jpeg

979609A5-5D5B-414F-B933-26833DD0820A.jpeg

CBB64267-17B0-4F74-B9AD-2657C52B473C.jpeg

27C38C8E-1342-4281-84AE-434C509CB041.jpeg

Edited by Ross

10 hours ago, Ross said:

Back in 2006 a company that I was working with produced a diving Drysuit called Fusion. Interesting to see that JRZ is using the same logo on their Fusion pads. Coincidence? I wonder if someone who works there is/ was a diver.

I can confirm at almost 100% that it is purely a coincidence. When you are making a logo for the name Fusion, the obvious thing that comes to mind is an atom.

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I have a feeling that’s not unintentional 

Why?  I may be an idiot (ok, I AM usually and idiot but that doesn't matter at the moment) but I really don't see how copying a logo from a scuba company would benefit JRZ almost 15 years later.   In the mid 90's I had a college psychology professor had us do a group project where all the groups had to design a logo for an imaginary company (Tomcat Trucking in the case or our class).  The logos would be judged by another class based on which company you'd most like to do business with (and we'd judge their submissions) and the winner got the only A on the project.  Back then you couldn't just whip something together by stealing images from Google and Photoshopping them into something cool.   Out of 8 groups, 6 of use turned in something similar.  The only really unique one was super abstact and it was made by a group of art students.  It also finished DEAD LAST in the voting.  One of the 6 similar, boring "safe" logos was voted the winner, and it proved the professor's point perfectly.  Generally speaking people want logos that get the point across simply, aren't threatening, and don't require too much thought.   I'd say the Fusion logo fits that perfectly, and to me it's not at all surprising that in it's generic-ness it comes close to another logo for a product using the same name.

35 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Why?  I may be an idiot (ok, I AM usually and idiot but that doesn't matter at the moment) but I really don't see how copying a logo from a scuba company would benefit JRZ almost 15 years later.   In the mid 90's I had a college psychology professor had us do a group project where all the groups had to design a logo for an imaginary company (Tomcat Trucking in the case or our class).  The logos would be judged by another class based on which company you'd most like to do business with (and we'd judge their submissions) and the winner got the only A on the project.  Back then you couldn't just whip something together by stealing images from Google and Photoshopping them into something cool.   Out of 8 groups, 6 of use turned in something similar.  The only really unique one was super abstact and it was made by a group of art students.  It also finished DEAD LAST in the voting.  One of the 6 similar, boring "safe" logos was voted the winner, and it proved the professor's point perfectly.  Generally speaking people want logos that get the point across simply, aren't threatening, and don't require too much thought.   I'd say the Fusion logo fits that perfectly, and to me it's not at all surprising that in it's generic-ness it comes close to another logo for a product using the same name.

My bad I misread the earlier reply. I thought it meant the battram logo vs the Brian’s logo