Skate Cut Repair

TheGoalNet

This new Loctite worked like a champ!

I applied this in about 30 seconds, coated it on thick because of the severity of the cut, and wiped off the excess. 

Dried fast and survived a bunch of poking and flexing 

Anyone else have a good method? Who here can sew?

4B056646-89DA-41C4-BD1B-A782A3BE6E4C.jpeg

A3A94F09-65CD-475D-8DFD-D8A760E2357D.jpeg

0CF04297-4632-4DEA-8090-096B9FC51AFF.jpeg

DE2F595E-23BB-41A8-AC05-D45617E106C1.jpeg

FE8104A2-3820-473C-BC9E-A8FAEA14A2DB.jpeg

18 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

This new Loctite worked like a champ!

I applied this in about 30 seconds, coated it on thick because of the severity of the cut, and wiped off the excess. 

Dried fast and surved a bunch of poking and flexing 

Anyone else have a good method? Who here can sew?

4B056646-89DA-41C4-BD1B-A782A3BE6E4C.jpeg

A3A94F09-65CD-475D-8DFD-D8A760E2357D.jpeg

0CF04297-4632-4DEA-8090-096B9FC51AFF.jpeg

DE2F595E-23BB-41A8-AC05-D45617E106C1.jpeg

FE8104A2-3820-473C-BC9E-A8FAEA14A2DB.jpeg

Not playing the blame game or anything because a skate is a skate but is it possible the weave material is weaker than the standard GenPro or even SpeedSkin?

10 minutes ago, Awgoalie164 said:

Not playing the blame game or anything because a skate is a skate but is it possible the weave material is weaker than the standard GenPro or even SpeedSkin?

Some will say yes, others will say no. 

It’s the same material, but weave has a pattern embossed on it. It’s possible the extra step weakens or thins the Jenpro a bit. 

19 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Some will say yes, others will say no. 

It’s the same material, but weave has a pattern embossed on it. It’s possible the extra step weakens or thins the Jenpro a bit. 

I think weave is guilty of flaking, but it should be any more or less susceptible to skate cuts 

@Chenner29 - I trust the Shoe Goo works well, this was kinda a job I wanted to to do today and this glue was readily available. We will see if this glue lives up to the advertisement 

0D85E705-B013-4EFD-87D5-0AC80DF61B70.jpeg

@TheGoalNet good repair. Check out the video below for a similar method. Main difference is she adds a subpatch of material to glue the top layer to. You could prob use jenpro as a subpatch. Also at 3:20 she demonstrates a sand paper method with superglue for blending in. Not sure that would work well with weave but seems like it would fit regular jenpro.  

5 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@TheGoalNet good repair. Check out the video below for a similar method. Main difference is she adds a subpatch of material to glue the top layer to. You could prob use jenpro as a subpatch. Also at 3:20 she demonstrates a sand paper method with superglue for blending in. Not sure that would work well with weave but seems like it would fit regular jenpro.  

I was going for as minimal as possible, so I avoided the patch idea. A piece of Pad Skinz over a cut it probably the best idea. I did that on 1S and it worked like a champ. 

I am going to use a red sharpie and see if I can blend the glue in even further. 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I was going for as minimal as possible, so I avoided the patch idea. A piece of Pad Skinz over a cut it probably the best idea. I did that on 1S and it worked like a champ. 

I am going to use a red sharpie and see if I can blend the glue in even further. 

Just to be clear - this method is using a patch UNDER the cut, not over. Using the underpatch gives you something to glue the two sides of the cut to so it strengthens the repair.

17 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Just to be clear - this method is using a patch UNDER the cut, not over. Using the underpatch gives you something to glue the two sides of the cut to so it strengthens the repair.

ahhh, didnt watch the video. That makes more sense. 

My concern with that is that I would have had to open the hole up more to slide in a patch? A skate cut is like a razor blade. 

I am not knocking that method, it is probably a more permanent fix. I am just sharing my rationale for what I did. 

I currently use this on any cuts and tears on my 1S pads with a little glue if there is something to glue it together.  It doesn't look as clean as just glue but it does get the job done and it never peels.  Real quick and easy.  I'll post some pictures of the pads when I get home from work.

71e2odAvhYL._SL1500_.jpg

• 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, old but slow said:

That's in the cordora? I'd probably stitch then glue then throw a nylon tape over the top. I never have much luck stitching cordora.

It’s the shiny nylon. The cordura is more of a matte canvas material. I don’t know if that changes your suggestion

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

It’s the shiny nylon. The cordura is more of a matte canvas material. I don’t know if that changes your suggestion

I believe it's the construction of the nylon/cordora that causes the issues, for me. My stitches tend to pull/open the fabric unless I use a denser material as a backing on both the top and bottom of my stitching. But then again, I may just not be very good at executing.

19 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Glue is fine. Shoe Goo is ideal. Put it on the inside where that black HD foam is.  Put some tape over it to make sure it dries in place. You can take the tape off in a couple hours. 

Stitching that area is an awful idea.  If there’s any stress in that area, the stitching you put down will pull the threading on the red nylon. You can see it pulling apart a bit already. 

On 7/6/2018 at 7:41 AM, slade037 said:

I currently use this on any cuts and tears on my 1S pads with a little glue if there is something to glue it together.  It doesn't look as clean as just glue but it does get the job done and it never peels.  Real quick and easy.  I'll post some pictures of the pads when I get home from work.

71e2odAvhYL._SL1500_.jpg

I use  this stuff on the inside boot bindings on ever pair of pads I have had for the last 15 years. It never comes off and never wears through. It's stays on when pucks hit too. It's a great product for for pads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Reviving an old thread, but i noticed a beautiful skate cut on my pads last night after being ran into during my game. I was going to try the pad skinz route and wanted to know if anyone has seen the brown/ antique gold in person and which one matches retro tan/ tan better. I have tan simmons pads and the tan is more red than brown and it looks like the AG might be slightly better as a match.

Archived