2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

Never really understood the disconnect between what many of the guys in the pros/minors do to their pads and what many of us would do.

Does it come down to us wanting to really spice up a set of gear as we don't have much turnover?

Or does playing sports for a living stifle and sort of creativity?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always figured there's a wide range of answers, ranging from practical ones to my own pontificating:

• Many pros just get sent a bunch of mockups to pick from, and they choose what they like. Some companies are probably inclined to show them some weird (bad) options, just because they want people to see the versatility of the graphic — in theory, I'd imagine this happens more with guys who aren't NHL stars
  • They just want something that nobody else has. Despite the fact that today's graphics provide more options, there still aren't that many variations you can do, especially since most goalies are working with 2-3 colors, and already have self-imposed rules (white-based pads only, etc.)
  • Some guys participate in competitions where they let fans vote on the design of their new pads. If anyone wants to look at the tastes of the masses, look no further than the 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' ratings, Top 40 radio, or certain democratic countries' leaders. It sounds elitist, but a lot of people just have bad taste.
  • To Coop's last point: Not to paint with a wide brush, but most of these guys have spent the majority of their youth in a locker room, on the ice, or on the bus — they're probably not taking art classes, reading about design, or even spending a lot of their spare time looking at goalie pads and thinking about the aesthetics. To put it bluntly, these guys do nothing but play hockey, and a lot of them haven't necessarily have the time or inclination to develop their own good taste in design. Anddd that could be why they're playing hockey for a living, and we're all here =D
  • Some guys just do not care what their pads look like, and they just throw together something and move on. I know, it's sacrilegious, but it happens.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Never really understood the disconnect between what many of the guys in the pros/minors do to their pads and what many of us would do.

Does it come down to us wanting to really spice up a set of gear as we don't have much turnover?

Or does playing sports for a living stifle and sort of creativity?

Me neither.  I think some just don't care what the stuff looks like so long as they're comfortable.

3 hours ago, stackem30 said:

I've always figured there's a wide range of answers, ranging from practical ones to my own pontificating:

• Many pros just get sent a bunch of mockups to pick from, and they choose what they like. Some companies are probably inclined to show them some weird (bad) options, just because they want people to see the versatility of the graphic — in theory, I'd imagine this happens more with guys who aren't NHL stars
  • They just want something that nobody else has. Despite the fact that today's graphics provide more options, there still aren't that many variations you can do, especially since most goalies are working with 2-3 colors, and already have self-imposed rules (white-based pads only, etc.)
  • Some guys participate in competitions where they let fans vote on the design of their new pads. If anyone wants to look at the tastes of the masses, look no further than the 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' ratings, Top 40 radio, or certain democratic countries' leaders. It sounds elitist, but a lot of people just have bad taste.
  • To Coop's last point: Not to paint with a wide brush, but most of these guys have spent the majority of their youth in a locker room, on the ice, or on the bus — they're probably not taking art classes, reading about design, or even spending a lot of their spare time looking at goalie pads and thinking about the aesthetics. To put it bluntly, these guys do nothing but play hockey, and a lot of them haven't necessarily have the time or inclination to develop their own good taste in design. Anddd that could be why they're playing hockey for a living, and we're all here =D
  • Some guys just do not care what their pads look like, and they just throw together something and move on. I know, it's sacrilegious, but it happens.

So I know a tiny bit about this, but am NOT an expert. Hopefully my comments help, but don’t take them as gospel. . .

Generally the thoughts above are pretty accurate. 

1. Like with everything, there are extremes. Some guys care and some don’t. Its pretty simple there. In our world, this would be similar to some of Us spending  extra and ordering custom compared to others buying whatever is on sale or just feels good. I think as a general rule of thumb, the average guy at least puts some effort into the custom designs and has fun some fun with it. 

2. It’s my understanding guys have access to the customizer. I believe they typically  usually make their own mock ups or work with a rep to get them done. For the guys that care less, they will take suggestions from the reps. Other guys say “I like Bobs set, can you can get me something like that in my team colors”

3. Regardless of its the “looking bigger myth” or if it’s a trend of “looking clean”, it’s just a reality that the average pro wants a mostly white set right now. A lot of guys coming up see the top guys of today in basic sets and want to continue with that “professionalism”. hockey is a conformist sport and people don’t want to standout too much. Who was the last guy to win a Vezina or Cup with a crazy setup? 

I heard a story that one guy designed his own set and showed up to the PR shoot for a new product line. The set he designed was there for the photo shoot. The other pros there ripped him relentlessly for having bad style. He immediately ordered a new set with feedback from the rep / product design team and never wore the “ugly set”. 

I’ve also heard that when guys have a slightly mismatched set, like a glove graphic not matching the rest of the rest, it’s their choice. They’ll want more white on the glove or don’t like the way the pad graphic translates to the glove, etc etc 

So, I had openly speculated on Instagram that Georgiev was/is trying the Optik 2 from Brian's, and that the appearance of the outer gusset seemed much flatter...almost as if it was printed on - leading me to believe that the Optik 2 would be Brian's first entry into digitally printed gear, with the caveat that the stock graphic would also be offered in the traditional cut/sew.

My reply to this guess from someone in-the-know was a smiley, winky emoji.

I think I'm onto something.

54 minutes ago, Murray said:

So, I had openly speculated on Instagram that Georgiev was/is trying the Optik 2 from Brian's, and that the appearance of the outer gusset seemed much flatter...almost as if it was printed on - leading me to believe that the Optik 2 would be Brian's first entry into digitally printed gear, with the caveat that the stock graphic would also be offered in the traditional cut/sew.

It would make sense. Brian's has done printed for custom graphics before, I just think they prefer cut and sew as you can make gear pop more. The printing I'm speaking of is used minimally in high detail areas on certain custom graphics.

3 hours ago, Murray said:

I think you are misinterpreting what the ? meant ?

Archived