2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

Yes, that's correct. Mike Vaughn is part of Brian's ownership group. He says a little bit about it on his LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mike-vaughn-a697709b/

Personally, I've always thought it was ironic that Brian's has such a cutting edge reputation and they're owned (partially at least) by the one of the more conservative companies in the industry. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Wow, looks like the ledge off the inside of the outer roll is really shallow. I thought it was strange that the graphic extended onto the roll, unlike the VE8, but there's a drastic difference in the depth of that inner edge.

yup. don’t like it. one little thing too is the logos on the thigh as opposed to the lower break

7 hours ago, seagoal said:

Man, the yellow helmets on the skaters looks so bad.  Beautiful jerseys and socks ruined by those helmets.  Murray looks awesome

Personally, I think they go quite nicely. 

I *hated* when Nashville switched from their navy helmets to yellow helmets with their home uniforms. Now when I see old pictures of them in the navy helmets, I can't believe how goofy they look compared to the yellow helmets. Maybe you'll experience the same thing here (or maybe not 😎). I am almost always initially skeptical about most changes to uniforms (with good reason — the NHL trots out a lot of terrible stuff). But a lot of them grow on me over time, and eventually I'll admit that the change was a smart move. 

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

Personally, I think they go quite nicely. 

I *hated* when Nashville switched from their navy helmets to yellow helmets with their home uniforms. Now when I see old pictures of them in the navy helmets, I can't believe how goofy they look compared to the yellow helmets. Maybe you'll experience the same thing here (or maybe not 😎). I am almost always initially skeptical about most changes to uniforms (with good reason — the NHL trots out a lot of terrible stuff). But a lot of them grow on me over time, and eventually I'll admit that the change was a smart move. 

Fair enough.

Here's what my brain does, starting from the bottom:

the sequence of colors is never repetative of any color except at the shoulder/helmet, and that looks odd and needs correction.

It just looks too continuous of yellow at the head, it's screaming at me for another boundary.  How Murray's mask is black-based, that looks like good color harmony and a natural sequence of color to color. 

19 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Bobby Hull supposedly hit 118mph with a wood stick.

Downhill, with the wind at his back. 

One of the oldest stories of an unbelievably fast slap shot surround NHL legend Bobby Hull. Popular Mechanics did a story on the science of sports back in February of 1968. In the story Bobby Hull was reported to have a slap shot recorded at 118.3 MPH. For years that was accepted as scientific fact.

Unfortunately I have yet to be able to find the original article to see what their methodology was, what they were actually measuring and how they did measure it. I would guess they were measuring something much different than what gets measured at today's hardest shot competition.

The same study reported Jean Beliveau had a "wrist" shot that reached 105 MPH. If true, he would have possessed in the '60s a wrist shot harder than any modern slap shot but Chara's. That's an obvious absurdity.

2 hours ago, Chester said:

Downhill, with the wind at his back. 

One of the oldest stories of an unbelievably fast slap shot surround NHL legend Bobby Hull. Popular Mechanics did a story on the science of sports back in February of 1968. In the story Bobby Hull was reported to have a slap shot recorded at 118.3 MPH. For years that was accepted as scientific fact.

Unfortunately I have yet to be able to find the original article to see what their methodology was, what they were actually measuring and how they did measure it. I would guess they were measuring something much different than what gets measured at today's hardest shot competition.

The same study reported Jean Beliveau had a "wrist" shot that reached 105 MPH. If true, he would have possessed in the '60s a wrist shot harder than any modern slap shot but Chara's. That's an obvious absurdity.

The Iafrate info is based on the All-Star win I remember watching when he played.

The Beliveau info could be almost true. What I heard in dressing room talks and post-game conversations is how huge Guy Lafleur's hands and forearms are, which could most likely be the contender for hardest wrist shot. That's an event I wouldn't mind seeing at the All-Star. How many times have we seen a wrister hit the top corner but had to watch the replay a few times in real slow-mo cause no one actually was able to see it go in, announcers and refs alike lolll.

Archived