2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/17/2018 at 12:05 PM, RichMan said:

The Iafrate info is based on the All-Star win I remember watching when he played.

The Beliveau info could be almost true. What I heard in dressing room talks and post-game conversations is how huge Guy Lafleur's hands and forearms are, which could most likely be the contender for hardest wrist shot. That's an event I wouldn't mind seeing at the All-Star. How many times have we seen a wrister hit the top corner but had to watch the replay a few times in real slow-mo cause no one actually was able to see it go in, announcers and refs alike lolll.

105.2 and 102.7

His hair is/ was legendary.

On 11/20/2018 at 3:23 PM, chakal said:

I didn't noticed it before, but it seems like NIemi is wearing Warrior Ritual knee pads. Looks like stock knee pads too. I know many wears composite reinforced knee pads but I'm curious to know how many wears stock ones.

1435646490_ScreenShot2018-11-20at16_24_27.png.f2cd6afbc5e956d63bf7f44864ec2e66.png

2075089609_ScreenShot2018-11-20at16_20_30.png.756ffc93c88cb4c88abc15e8a7afa852.png

220180176_ScreenShot2018-11-20at16_20_11.png.0ec100f8c3cb9ea6765cf1f87ffd501a.png

Ryan Miller wears these too. I think he also wears legal thigh boards over them 

On 11/22/2018 at 3:06 PM, TitanG said:

Nilsson back in style:

He fractured a finger a few weeks back so I wonder if there will be any obvious mods to his gloves (not sure if it was catcher or blocker side).

Snow's pads were great.

I wish the new players would get their own style though. Do something like this but different. Different in that it's your own style not a tribute to a player's style a few seasons ago.

Come on man!

55 minutes ago, MTH said:

Snow's pads were great.

I wish the new players would get their own style though. Do something like this but different. Different in that it's your own style not a tribute to a player's style a few seasons ago.

Come on man!

Agreed... had the same thought when I saw this set on IG. I mean these guys are all doing throwbacks to guys we grew up watching... but what are the kids who are watching them going to do? Get a "Nilsson" set? Digital graphics by Bauer (and continued amazing cut and sew work by Brian's) should be ushering in an era of originality... but the sets that get the most press look like the ones we wore or coveted when we were 12.

I would say this problem is akin to movies and TV lately... bring back shows from before instead of having an original idea. Makes me applaud the few NHLers who actually have a unique graphic... and look overseas at what's going on with some cool setups in Europe.  

19 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I would say this problem is akin to movies and TV lately... bring back shows from before instead of having an original idea.  

The older shows were just better anyways ( A-Team and Dukes of Hazard are still my favorites). It may be difficult for new goalies to design a nice set without accidentally copying others. The other day I used to Brian's Gnetik IV customizer to design some pads I would like for my team. I ended up creating an almost identical set to Senators goalie Andersen. With so many awesome designs already out there it's difficult to find something original using the factory color layout.

6 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

The older shows were just better anyways ( A-Team and Dukes of Hazard are still my favorites). It may be difficult for new goalies to design a nice set without accidentally copying others. The other day I used to Brian's Gnetik IV customizer to design some pads I would like for my team. I ended up creating an almost identical set to Senators goalie Andersen. With so many awesome designs already out there it's difficult to find something original using the factory color layout.

I would agree on the use of stock colorways... and I'm speaking more specifically to full custom graphics. Beast set like above, Whale Tail, Potvin Cat, Kidd Checkerboard... you see some great original sets for beer league clients and European leagues. Maybe it's just these NHL guys finally getting the gear they always wanted... but like I said... doesn't leave today's kid's much to dream about that is truly unique to the guy wearing it. Then again maybe I'm just being old and cranky.

IMO... true originality here... not tribute or imitation...

image.png.6ae1eb189cdbd9ec8b9ac58bb839e783.png

11 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Maybe it's just these NHL guys finally getting the gear they always wanted... but like I said... doesn't leave today's kid's much to dream about that is truly unique to the guy wearing it.

The power of pad wrap compels us. I guess I'll go ahead and let my idea for pads out of the bag since nobody here seems to be from Texas and therefore has no reason to copy it:

78658977_Screenshot2018-10-22at11_36_02AM.png.6cda0c66b89529583fd48f7496233fc0.png

Boom. Made using google Drawings and perfectly achievable using pad wrap on my Vaughn pads

1 minute ago, ThatCarGuy said:

The power of pad wrap compels us. I guess I'll go ahead and let my idea for pads out of the bag since nobody here seems to be from Texas and therefore has no reason to copy it:

78658977_Screenshot2018-10-22at11_36_02AM.png.6cda0c66b89529583fd48f7496233fc0.png

Boom. Made using google Drawings and perfectly achievable using pad wrap on my Vaughn pads

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Snow's pads were great.

Come on man!

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

Agreed... had the same thought when I saw this set on IG. I mean these guys are all doing throwbacks to guys we grew up watching... but what are the kids who are watching them going to do? Get a "Nilsson" set? Digital graphics by Bauer (and continued amazing cut and sew work by Brian's) should be ushering in an era of originality... but the sets that get the most press look like the ones we wore or coveted when we were 12.

I would say this problem is akin to movies and TV lately... bring back shows from before instead of having an original idea. Makes me applaud the few NHLers who actually have a unique graphic... and look overseas at what's going on with some cool setups in Europe.  

I agree -- an original design would be better. But at least it's an improvement over all white.

Personally, I like something as simple as Hellberg's GNetik IV's with the added star from his team logo:

kazan-russia-01st-sep-2018-kazan-russia-

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

...I mean these guys are all doing throwbacks to guys we grew up watching... but what are the kids who are watching them going to do? Get a "Nilsson" set? Digital graphics by Bauer (and continued amazing cut and sew work by Brian's) should be ushering in an era of originality... but the sets that get the most press look like the ones we wore or coveted when we were 12....

Yeah I still see a lot of Potvin mask copies or near copies - and the owners still think they are the most original thing out there

image.png.01bd1d926d57271a100259f4acc20b45.png

4 minutes ago, Colander said:

Yeah I still see a lot of Potvin mask copies or near copies - and the owners still think they are the most original thing out there

image.png.01bd1d926d57271a100259f4acc20b45.png

I'm guilty... not of Potvin... but did a Lalime Marvin the Martian. Made it "my own" by doing so in green and making the glove and blocker in the image of my Koho 580s. Steered clear of tribute masks ever since.

36 minutes ago, Colander said:

Considering that I've seen one custom paint job in the beer leagues, I'd say any graphic design on a helmet would be original, even if it's a Potvin rip off.

Hell, I have two Lion Rampant's of Scotland on my bucket and I'm rocking more style than 99% of the guys I see on a day to day basis.

Thing is, cost barriers are a real thing if I'm going to drop a ton of cash on a custom graphic, it's a lot easier to stomach knowing a design looks good and will get a positive reaction. Nothing worse than spending $600 on a paint job for it to be jeered at.

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Thing is, cost barriers are a real thing if I'm going to drop a ton of cash on a custom graphic, it's a lot easier to stomach knowing a design looks good and will get a positive reaction. Nothing worse than spending $600 on a paint job for it to be jeered at.

Just a little suggestion; try finding a template of your helmet (or if you over-complicate things like me, find an image of your helmet from the front, left, and right sides and crop out the actual color of the helmet) and try sketching or drawing up any idea you have. To see if people like the design, just put it out on the internet for all to see. Listen to the feedback and make improvements from there. Kind of basic marketing. Here's an example of what I mean:

1953409524_Helmetconcept.thumb.png.4c1ff8ee2f4a5556019898dc50d59c8b.png

This is my over-complicated version using Bauer 960X images.

Archived