2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

He has NOT set the A on fire this year. I hope philly shows patience with him and doesn’t rush him to the show 

It's true.

Hard to say what the problems are, but you have to figure with his talent and success in juniors and internationally that he will find his rhythm soon.

It's neat how both he and Pickard are in the Philly system given their teams were bitter rivals in the Seattle area WHL, only 30 miles or so apart .

I've seen many amazing duels between those two.

23 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I would say this problem is akin to movies and TV lately... bring back shows from before instead of having an original idea. Makes me applaud the few NHLers who actually have a unique graphic... and look overseas at what's going on with some cool setups in Europe.  

Part of making something that is memorable is whatever it is - actually sticking around a while.

Snow's pads weren't amazing. Different for sure, but nothing off the wall. But he wore them for a whole season or two. 

Current players burn through gear month to month. Even those Whalers themed pads will only see a few games (if any). You need it to stick around.

Same as the tv shows. The networks are so fast to kill a show off. I don't even bother watching 'new' shows anymore. They're so rushed together and usually don't last more than one season. Same tv actor retreads. It's like tv show parody. How many classic shows got no ratings when they started? None of them would have survived in today's environment.

That said, there are a bunch of current shows that are iconic. We just have so many other outlets for entertainment that we don't all have to watch them.

14 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

He has NOT set the A on fire this year. I hope philly shows patience with him and doesn’t rush him to the show 

Everett had a goalie who had an eerily similar career trajectory from lighting up the "Dub" to being an okay-to-solid AHL/European guy. Anyone else recall Leland Irving?

Not that there's anything wrong with that though, unless you're Philadelphia banking off ONE goalie. Goaltending is always a big issue, but they also have other problems a guy like Hart, if successful, still won't mask.

32 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

Everett had a goalie who had an eerily similar career trajectory from lighting up the "Dub" to being an okay-to-solid AHL/European guy. Anyone else recall Leland Irving?

Not that there's anything wrong with that though, unless you're Philadelphia banking off ONE goalie. Goaltending is always a big issue, but they also have other problems a guy like Hart, if successful, still won't mask.

I remember Irving, for sure.

Honestly, i was pretty bummed to see both Hart and Pickard land in Philly.  It's just not a good organization for developing or maintaining goaltenders.  The Hockey Guy has a video on youtube about "goalie graveyards" and while Philly is not nearly as bad as we would think it is (he simply looks at numbers of goalies teams blow through), it just remains a constant problem: goaltending for the Flyers is a tough gig to land.

29 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I remember Irving, for sure.

Honestly, i was pretty bummed to see both Hart and Pickard land in Philly.  It's just not a good organization for developing or maintaining goaltenders.  The Hockey Guy has a video on youtube about "goalie graveyards" and while Philly is not nearly as bad as we would think it is (he simply looks at numbers of goalies teams blow through), it just remains a constant problem: goaltending for the Flyers is a tough gig to land.

Mason was fantastic there until Hakstol kept pushing Neuvith in net.

There's way too much pressure on Hart regardless of what franchise he's on. Likewise, a lot of goalie prospects in the last five years. Look at Comrie, Campbell, Fucale, or even a fellow Flyer in Stolarz. Hyped to no end only to be lukewarm or duds. People expect them to be instant elite goalies. Not everyone can be Henrik Lundqvist. 

31 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

Mason was fantastic there until Hakstol kept pushing Neuvith in net.

There's way too much pressure on Hart regardless of what franchise he's on. Likewise, a lot of goalie prospects in the last five years. Look at Comrie, Campbell, Fucale, or even a fellow Flyer in Stolarz. Hyped to no end only to be lukewarm or duds. People expect them to be instant elite goalies. Not everyone can be Henrik Lundqvist. 

Good points.

That's a lot of pressure on any goalie who can't yet buy himself a beer in the U.S., regardless

17 hours ago, seagoal said:

Hands down my least favorite Flyers goalie of all time

image.png.dd2cfb8d485e6f4d0b7fd3e068d5bfd8.png

image.thumb.png.56af0654686ddedb684724e13c944e75.png

Hands down the greatest goalie the Flyers ever had.

But if you listen to people, he was terrible because in a playoff game when they were getting rolled by the Sabres he yelled at his bench.

You think he wasn't good? Let alone the best the Flyers ever had? Chew on these stats:

Played just three seasons before the 'we need a goalie' dopes got him traded. In those three years he had a goals against of 2.01, 2.05 and a then NHL record 1.83 in his final "he stinks" season. Save percentages of .921, .921 and again in his "worst season", .925.

No other Flyer goalie was that good. Not Bernie, Pelle, Hextall, Favell, Phyl Myre, Niitimaki or Bruce Hoffort. Nobody.

Yet, everyone here will say he stinks because that's what they were told. 

By the way, in Cechmanek's last season here - and why he was ran out of town - he only won the Jennings trophy. 

What a bum!

17 minutes ago, MTH said:

...No other Flyer goalie was that good. Not Bernie, Pelle, Hextall, Favell, Phyl Myre, Niitimaki or Bruce Hoffort. Nobody.

In 73/74 (Flyers first cup) Parent posted 1.89/0.932 - not quite as good as him, but he played 73 games that season behind a ridiculously highly penalized team (by their nature). I I think "best" can't be defined in absolutes

Archived