2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw these on SidelineSwap, as some of you may have already. Interesting use of materials with Nash on the outter roll. Not sure if it was used for the color or just for the vintage feel, but I think it gives them some good character (not $2000 worth, but they're worth what someone will pay.)

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie-leg-pads/604584-vaughn-johnson-heritage-night-goalie-pads

93eda40eb4869c8b_large.jpeg

9bdc251af9e11f4b_large.jpeg  c1c789ce48e5d9de_large.jpeg

7b83bcb3840ea73f_large.jpeg  3b30c9511d53af68_large.jpeg

ca8b6c1f07b1ad20_large.jpeg  2d715287e630e7b7_large.jpeg

f7f9c73b8bf9dff8_large.jpeg

8 hours ago, seagoal said:

I'm 4 skates into bungee chords coming from a 2 inch slacked skate lace and I'm not convinced yet.  I'm mostly indifferent, but I can definitely feel the boot of my pad more connected to my skate.  I guess I'm just not convinced that's a good thing, yet.   I'm also using dramatically different pads now, so there's a lot of new going on at once.  

Question, what do you used to use and what are you now using?  I'm kind of in the same jam as you are, been wearing Bauers forever and just got to start wearing some Koho (Lefevre) and the feel is mighty different.  I also want to go to bungee, just gotta get around to it.  I'll most likely start them on my Bauers as I know what to expect from them as far as behaviour goes.

56 minutes ago, Math. said:

Question, what do you used to use and what are you now using?  I'm kind of in the same jam as you are, been wearing Bauers forever and just got to start wearing some Koho (Lefevre) and the feel is mighty different.  I also want to go to bungee, just gotta get around to it.  I'll most likely start them on my Bauers as I know what to expect from them as far as behaviour goes.

I switched from all leather straps V6 with skate lace ties and thigh wraps to stock strap VE8 with bungee chord ties and connecting my knee strap at the calf.

This was all a big jump for me.

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

I switched from all leather straps V6 with skate lace ties and thigh wraps to stock strap VE8 with bungee chord ties and connecting my knee strap at the calf.

This was all a big jump for me.

I hear ya.  I tried the knee elastic to the leg channel and didn't like it, at least not the one time I tried it.  Still figuring out the strapping for the straps themselves so maybe once I get that down, I'll give the knee elastic to the leg channel another go, we'll see.  I'll probably give the bungee chord a go before that though.

5 minutes ago, Math. said:

I hear ya.  I tried the knee elastic to the leg channel and didn't like it, at least not the one time I tried it.  Still figuring out the strapping for the straps themselves so maybe once I get that down, I'll give the knee elastic to the leg channel another go, we'll see.  I'll probably give the bungee chord a go before that though.

I went down to the calf because my Warrior knee pads are huge and with the professor strap on my VE8s, it was just way too much pressure on my knees from all the things in that area. Went down to the calf and I instantaneously knew it was perfect.

It was super comfortable and also not redundant as it was at the knee. 

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Saw these on SidelineSwap, as some of you may have already. Interesting use of materials with Nash on the outter roll. Not sure if it was used for the color or just for the vintage feel, but I think it gives them some good character (not $2000 worth, but they're worth what someone will pay.)

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie-leg-pads/604584-vaughn-johnson-heritage-night-goalie-pads

93eda40eb4869c8b_large.jpeg

9bdc251af9e11f4b_large.jpeg  c1c789ce48e5d9de_large.jpeg

7b83bcb3840ea73f_large.jpeg  3b30c9511d53af68_large.jpeg

ca8b6c1f07b1ad20_large.jpeg  2d715287e630e7b7_large.jpeg

f7f9c73b8bf9dff8_large.jpeg

Wow, I love these.

The outdoor game St Louis gear is so beautiful. 

Jake Allen's might be my favorite set ever....he's my wallpaper on my work computer :)

4 hours ago, cwarnar said:

World Junior gear rolling out... Mike DiPietros Bauer 2X gearIMG_20181215_102306.jpg.b93d31e6b6f4a3288c11db7848123de3.jpg

Good mix of retro and modern. I’m a fan. 

I’ve never seen him play before, but a goalie coach was ripping him the other day. Said he’s acrobatic and that his technique is lacking. Felt his game is great at junior and won’t transition to pro. 

Anyone watch him play? 

9 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I’ve never seen him play before, but a goalie coach was ripping him the other day. Said he’s acrobatic and that his technique is lacking. Felt his game is great at junior and won’t transition to pro. 

Anyone watch him play? 

Scott will be Canada’s #1 anyways,  I’ve watched him with the PA Raiders and he’s the real deal.  Leafs just gave him an entry level deal

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone watch him play? 

I was actually at the 67s vs. Gatineau game last Saturday, and saw him close up for 2/3 periods.

I’m not a real goalie myself, but he looked technically sound to me. Maybe a few “oh shit” moments, but he recovered well. Moreover, despite him being brand new to the 67s at that point, the team played very confidently in front of him, and the vibe and body language suggested they were good with him.

the Gatineau goalie (no idea of his name) was weird, and looked really off to me. Bold prediction: he will not make the NHL. But then neither will I - lol!

8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Said he’s acrobatic and that his technique is lacking.

Didn't seem to hurt Quick (until he got into his mid thirties) 

This Ian Scott guy is intriguing. He has a lot of power. I see why people are excited, especially once he gets groomed for pro action (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZqdxEoZUtA). Granted it is only three minutes and condensed highlights, but if we're gonna evaluate, I noticed a few common occurrences:

-A lot of his "big" saves come from him putting the puck back out into the slop. Often via a flailing leg, or off of his chest due to him having such a forward, low crouch.

-He is pretty quick, tracks the puck well and is big, so that's a modern scout's easy pickin's

-High energy goalie. This can be both good and bad as you can tire yourself out, or lose focus as your energy flatlines in the many ups and downs of a game.

-He over-lunges a lot. Pros will get that puck off quicker than junior kids. I see groin injuries and lots of them (sources: I've done this quite a few times in my playing career days). 

-I see a strange mix of Korpisalo and Matt Murray in his style. Korpi's intensity and Gumby-ness. Murray's game looks quite similar to this: no real discernible speciality (i.e.: strong skating, mental game, or whatever), just athletic, big, and excellent when the timing and momentum swings in his favor.

13 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

It doesn't matter how good you play, how acrobatic you are or high energy. It's how you handle the AHL and them the NHL and at what age. The NHL is a whole different game. I've seen too many goalies fail in the last 20 years, up and coming prospects. 

With the addition of the 31st team I've noticed the AHL is a hot mess since the talent pools have been spread even thinner. I think letting guys simmer in Europe like Petterson or Matthews is a possible future of development. Some guys are just too good for major junior, and maybe too good for AHL, yet just shy of NHL.

2 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

With the addition of the 31st team I've noticed the AHL is a hot mess since the talent pools have been spread even thinner. I think letting guys simmer in Europe like Petterson or Matthews is a possible future of development. Some guys are just too good for major junior, and maybe too good for AHL, yet just shy of NHL.

I agree, the AHL is a joke. Perhaps Europe is ideal but the major turn in a goalied career or a player is the nhl and sure it takes time but it's how you develope. We hope for the best but with goalies, it's tough. 

6 hours ago, Moose75 said:

YES!!! I still got a chance :P lolll

6 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I agree, the AHL is a joke. Perhaps Europe is ideal but the major turn in a goalied career or a player is the nhl and sure it takes time but it's how you develope. We hope for the best but with goalies, it's tough. 

i wouldn't got that far, but having watched the Wolfpack in person, it looks more like Major Major Junior at times. It's chaotic, there are often low amounts of shots due to over passing and turnovers. Guys fighting to "prove" themselves. It's just kinda sloppy.

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Beat me to it. That was a common scouting report for Quick and even his goalie coach when he came into the NHL made a similar statement about how his technical skills were lacking. 

And they still are. I wish he would just put a little into his game. He'd be like Kipper 2.0 if he did. Also it would help keep him healthy. It's easy to teach technique to an athlete than it is to teach athleticism to a robot.

46 minutes ago, RichMan said:

YES!!! I still got a chance :P lolll

I'm from the future. RichMan wins his debut since the NHL hires amateurs because of the ongoing 7th lockout. He plays for the Phoenix Arizona Kansas City New Mexico Atlanta again? Anywhere but a logical Canadian City New York AlleyCoyotes. Due to pay being very low, he also doubles as a Blade Runner in his spare time to pay the bills. Certainly New York City's third franchise can't.

1 hour ago, raucebyalien said:

Brians posted up Tyler Parsons new gear on their IG, he's one of very few pros using thigh wraps (Quick is the only other one I can think of offhand). 

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 02.16.05.png

You forgot the best goalie in the league wears them.

anaheim-usa-6th-mar-2018-anaheim-ducks-g

Also; the best goalie in NCAA too. There might be something to this...

ncaa-hockey-minnesota-duluth-vs-notre-da

Archived