2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

I felt it was kind of a lazy cop-out.

I mean, that's pretty much what the Winter Classic is. Pump out two teams with virulent fanbases in order to sell more merchandise and tickets.

To be a total Debbie downer here: I can't remember the last time the league was teeming with this much incredible talent, and yet this is the most boring the NHL has been in a while. And this is from someone who grew up as a kid/fan during the late 90's trap era. At the same time, the league seems strained for additional talent ever since Vegas came in. It's stretched the league a little thinner, and impacted the quality of the AHL as well. Maybe it'll balance out in a few years after the next lockout? 

Here's cool KHL goalie picture to stay on topic, somewhat:

juha-metsola.jpg

3 hours ago, stackem30 said:

I just couldn't wrap my head  eyes around the black-and-white Hawks uniforms. I generally like/appreciate black-and-white art and designs, but in this case, I felt it was kind of a lazy cop-out. And while they do look sharp at a glance, I found the appeal was short-lived, and I think they were one of the more forgettable Winter Classic jerseys.

Color is so key to how these games play out, visually. Remember how good Toronto vs. Detroit looked when both teams wore color-based jerseys? It was really appealing, and it underscored the rich heritage of this sport's visual aesthetic. The only color on the ice yesterday was gold, and it wasn't even the primary color on the Bruins jerseys. Two teams wearing mostly black and white on a white ice surface stranded in the middle of a field in an enormous stadium didn't hit the visual mark at all, and it felt like a wasted opportunity.

Most of all, these black-and-white jerseys underscored just how important colors are to a team's identity -- I actually found myself forgetting (albeit for a fraction of a second) who the Bruins were playing a few times. My brain had to keep performing the extra step of having to recall that this black-and-white team was the Chicago Blackhawks. "Oh right, there's Patrick Kane, this team is the Chicago Blackhawks." The NHL just has such an illustrious history of uniforms, and colors are so crucial to the mix. What are the Bruins without gold, or the Rangers without some blue? The black-and-white jerseys were not only a snooze-fest, they also undermined the Hawks' identity. I mean, I know the Hawks aren't exactly hard-up for promotion after the last 10 years, but wouldn't you want to really rep your team colors at an event like this, and let everyone know exactly who you are?

I didn't mind them, but personally I find it hard to complain when a team uses throwback jerseys from their early history, even if they're boring black and white.

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

It's a shame too . The Blackhawks have the most color in the league on their regular jerseys.

Agreed, and thats why I chose them for our team.

57 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I didn't mind them, but personally I find it hard to complain when a team uses throwback jerseys from their early history, even if they're boring black and white.

It ain't a throwback if they never wore them to begin with! ;)

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yep yep. Late 1920s. 

I stand corrected — I'd looked at NHL uniform database (wonderful site) when these jerseys were released to see if they were indeed throwbacks, and I could have sworn that there were no black and white variations. Obviously, I couldn't have been more wrong (or maybe I just missed the entire top row). My bad, Freely.

13 hours ago, stackem30 said:

I stand corrected — I'd looked at NHL uniform database (wonderful site) when these jerseys were released to see if they were indeed throwbacks, and I could have sworn that there were no black and white variations. Obviously, I couldn't have been more wrong (or maybe I just missed the entire top row). My bad, Freely.

All good man. It seems a lot of people didn't know, based on comments when they were unveiled. They're from around the same era that the Bruins unis were based on, too. The ones they wore a few years ago with the black base, cream, and red stripes would have actually been more correct if they were trying to match eras but they used those already.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, Moose75 said:

I mean, that's pretty much what the Winter Classic is. Pump out two teams with virulent fanbases in order to sell more merchandise and tickets.

To be a total Debbie downer here: I can't remember the last time the league was teeming with this much incredible talent, and yet this is the most boring the NHL has been in a while. And this is from someone who grew up as a kid/fan during the late 90's trap era. At the same time, the league seems strained for additional talent ever since Vegas came in. It's stretched the league a little thinner, and impacted the quality of the AHL as well. Maybe it'll balance out in a few years after the next lockout? 

Here's cool KHL goalie picture to stay on topic, somewhat:

juha-metsola.jpg

Nice jersey potential for Seattle. 

3 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Mike McKenna. One word. WOW!

83873B3A-1634-4746-B3EE-BE350089C6AA.png

Amazing setup. So simple.

1 hour ago, Moose75 said:

That's some fine ass Pad Skinzin'! Dear lord do I hate those jerseys and their oversized arm numbers though.

I’d like the jerseys if the numbers were the right size. Definitely prefer these over the awful safety vest orange.

5 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Amazing setup. So simple.

I’d like the jerseys if the numbers were the right size. Definitely prefer these over the awful safety vest orange.

I wish they would just go back to these and ditch the creamsicle jersey. 

cut.jpg

6 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

I'm not being a jerk here.😁 What don't you get about red, white and black pads on a Hawks goalie?

no no i mean the design of it lol its a custom graphic just not sure what its supposed to represent 

16 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Got ya. I have no idea either. Personally, I don't really like the graphic either.

its not that i dont like it, i think its an interesting concept, just dont really understand what its representing lol

i loved his red heritage set last year 

Archived