2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Tired I know but, once again I question all this velcro strapping stuff, especially when run into or over.

Having used both "leather" straps and velcro straps, I don't really think it does much for weight. The velcro always feels too snug, or not quite right to me whereas I can dial in the straps consistently in the same holes.

Also; this never happens with buckles.

59 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

Having used both "leather" straps and velcro straps, I don't really think it does much for weight. The velcro always feels too snug, or not quite right to me whereas I can dial in the straps consistently in the same holes.

Also; this never happens with buckles.

the whole concept of it being such a big weight drop is stupid. the reason they should say elastic>leather is that it makes it quicker to put pads on, and like @TheGoalNet said u can wear them snug and still have them rotate since elastic can strech

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Tired I know but, once again I question all this velcro strapping stuff, especially when run into or over.

I feel like every time I've seen a video of the incident in which the pad has come off due to contact that it's a prime example of a severe knee injury that would have occurred if the pad didn't release. Obviously purely anecdotal as we've been getting ran into forever but my gut tells me it's prevented some bad things from happening.

I have no issues with leather straps though, it's what a lot of us are used to and know. I for one will never go back to traditional strapping but that's due to ease of use and nothing else.

1 minute ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I’ve had no incidents with the elastic on my PVEs yet but always felt leather straps to be more snug. However having these pads cuts my getting ready time in half 😂

Absolutely. I have 20 mins for when I arrive at my 5 PM skate on Wednesdays to get geared up and on the ice and the elastic and quick toe straps on my G4 Sr's is a godsend.

2 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Absolutely. I have 20 mins for when I arrive at my 5 PM skate on Wednesdays to get geared up and on the ice and the elastic and quick toe straps on my G4 Sr's is a godsend.

Yeah I use toe hooks too which I know half of the forum hates but it literally takes seconds for me to put them on and I love it. 

If this is the only advantage, it is a clear advantage. I haven't come around to 'no leather straps', but the less there are, the faster the process becomes. 

4 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

2 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

I feel like every time I've seen a video of the incident in which the pad has come off due to contact that it's a prime example of a severe knee injury that would have occurred if the pad didn't release. Obviously purely anecdotal as we've been getting ran into forever but my gut tells me it's prevented some bad things from happening.

I have no issues with leather straps though, it's what a lot of us are used to and know. I for one will never go back to traditional strapping but that's due to ease of use and nothing else.

Although I dont feel like I have done proper research on the subject, I tend to share this opinion. I don’t these think pop offs are causing harm. 

I think Velcro might act like a quick release ski binding. 

All it will take is something like Holtby or Quick to get run and have the pad cause a knee injury and everyone well denounce leather straps 

24 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Although I dont feel like I have done proper research on the subject, I tend to share this opinion. I don’t these think pop offs are causing harm. 

I think Velcro might act like a quick release ski binding. 

All it will take is something like Holtby or Quick to get run and have the pad cause a knee injury and everyone well denounce leather straps 

Happened to Price, twice, yet he still remains with straps. I think there's as much risk with a pad getting ripped off as in the pic. Goalie gets caught in a run-in, still managed a save but pad pops off, either A) the rebound is shot through traffic and hits the unprotected part of the leg, B) amidst the chaos, a skate blade finds its way to the unprotected part of the leg. It can happen regardless.

I like your binding release example but sometimes evolution can only add more to the problem. I might give it a try anyways as I'm aiming for the GT pads, but I so wish straps were an option, even if they were sold separately as a package option.

7 minutes ago, Murray said:

So...what's the big deal with the No 5 Hole stuff? Ex-pro gets Vaughn to make him custom set of V8 gear?

Am I supposed to be impressed?

No5 5 hole is his merchandise, (yeah no shit I know), but him being the leader I guess for it it’s just cool to see the different materials on there other than jenpro also was intended to be sort of a tribute to some of the setups he wore and Vaughn did a fantastic job. 

Nope. You were just supposed to see it. 

The message of his company (paraphrased) is : everybody has weaknesses and vulnerabilities. On goalies one vulnerability is the 5Hole. Don't let that stop you or prevent you from your goals. Accept your vulnerability,  adapt, improve,  and move forward.

That should impress you :)

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

Nope. You were just supposed to see it. 

The message of his company (paraphrased) is : everybody has weaknesses and vulnerabilities. On goalies one vulnerability is the 5Hole. Don't let that stop you or prevent you from your goals. Accept your vulnerability,  adapt, improve,  and move forward.

That should impress you :)

I assume this is a response to me, and yeah, sure. That's an inspirational message.

But.

The hype leading up to this was "Kevin Weekes is launching his own line of No5Hole equipment (the InGoal Mag headline being "KEVIN WEEKES DEBUTS NO5HOLE EQUIPMENT LINE"). But, it's not really a line of gear with any special features or innovation, nor is it positioned as equipment that could make goaltending more accessible. It's just a one-off set of (very) customized V8s. Vaughn certainly outdid their usual custom work, but I don't see how this set warranted such hype.

Also, appearing on "Fox & Friends" is a hard oooooof.

1 hour ago, Murray said:

I assume this is a response to me, and yeah, sure. That's an inspirational message.

But.

The hype leading up to this was "Kevin Weekes is launching his own line of No5Hole equipment (the InGoal Mag headline being "KEVIN WEEKES DEBUTS NO5HOLE EQUIPMENT LINE"). But, it's not really a line of gear with any special features or innovation, nor is it positioned as equipment that could make goaltending more accessible. It's just a one-off set of (very) customized V8s. Vaughn certainly outdid their usual custom work, but I don't see how this set warranted such hype.

Also, appearing on "Fox & Friends" is a hard oooooof.

Fair enough. 

It is a debut, which means there's more to come.  We'll have to wait and see.

Weekes is a good guy who gives a lot.  I'm looking forward to where this goes.

Archived