2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three things and a meme.

Thing 1: Vaughn needs to make that a graphic option. Looks great!

Thing 2: Never realized how forgettable and filler team the Canes looked until they donned some identifiable jerseys. Those came out nice. 

Thing 3: I'm so disappointed in the Bruins, who I also greatly dislike, for not winning.

Meme:

DvGwAEEWsAAlaDo.jpg

15 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

He did NOT change pants or C&A or mask or stick 

only pads, glove, and blocker 

Any ideas why he changed? Minus the stick it was only the visible gear that changed.  There's gotta be a story there.

I wish we had more reports on pros and the behind the scenes of their gear.

P.s. what'd you think of the Carolina Whalers uniforms? Good basis for Seattle colors??

That mask is a mess. Only upside is that it's black and white - so that's less painful on your eyes.

Theater (theatre) of the mind...

Imagine that mask in a white base with just the black/gray ducks logos on the sides. Nothing else. Now that would be sharp.

Lose the palm trees (tired), the 25th logo (corny) and the flag. Then you'd have something you'd say wow at.

Or, just go with a California flag mask. Who's ever done that in the NHL?

With the nearly 60 degree weather in Philly yesterday, I totally forgot about the Winter Classic.

Ward-o's gear looked like a street hockey set from Dick's. Sorry.

ccm-goalie-street-kit-stock-jr.jpg

I am super happy nobody went with the fake retro set this year. Refreshing. I'm sure dudes still rocked the toques though and eye black.

1 hour ago, MTH said:

With the nearly 60 degree weather in Philly yesterday, I totally forgot about the Winter Classic.

Ward-o's gear looked like a street hockey set from Dick's. Sorry.

I am super happy nobody went with the fake retro set this year. Refreshing. I'm sure dudes still rocked the toques though and eye black.

None of the starters you mean. ;)

Untitled.png.4e5d928e10e2d1018babd896047bb5e9.png

I just couldn't wrap my head  eyes around the black-and-white Hawks uniforms. I generally like/appreciate black-and-white art and designs, but in this case, I felt it was kind of a lazy cop-out. And while they do look sharp at a glance, I found the appeal was short-lived, and I think they were one of the more forgettable Winter Classic jerseys.

Color is so key to how these games play out, visually. Remember how good Toronto vs. Detroit looked when both teams wore color-based jerseys? It was really appealing, and it underscored the rich heritage of this sport's visual aesthetic. The only color on the ice yesterday was gold, and it wasn't even the primary color on the Bruins jerseys. Two teams wearing mostly black and white on a white ice surface stranded in the middle of a field in an enormous stadium didn't hit the visual mark at all, and it felt like a wasted opportunity.

Most of all, these black-and-white jerseys underscored just how important colors are to a team's identity -- I actually found myself forgetting (albeit for a fraction of a second) who the Bruins were playing a few times. My brain had to keep performing the extra step of having to recall that this black-and-white team was the Chicago Blackhawks. "Oh right, there's Patrick Kane, this team is the Chicago Blackhawks." The NHL just has such an illustrious history of uniforms, and colors are so crucial to the mix. What are the Bruins without gold, or the Rangers without some blue? The black-and-white jerseys were not only a snooze-fest, they also undermined the Hawks' identity. I mean, I know the Hawks aren't exactly hard-up for promotion after the last 10 years, but wouldn't you want to really rep your team colors at an event like this, and let everyone know exactly who you are?

Archived