2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That just reminds me of this clip from Sergei Kostitsyn:

Reminds me of this travesty from... (does math. Does math again, not believing the result)

...almost 15 years ago...? Faaawwwk. But yeah, selfish reaction to a situation, then as a bonus he takes out Souray who was trying to get back and cover for him.

Kovalev in a single series - hell, single game sometimes - could at once be the most exciting AND infuriating player to watch!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Reminds me of this travesty from... (does math. Does math again, not believing the result)

...almost 15 years ago...? Faaawwwk. But yeah, selfish reaction to a situation, then as a bonus he takes out Souray who was trying to get back and cover for him.

Kovalev in a single series - hell, single game sometimes - could at once be the most exciting AND infuriating player to watch!

@Lucky Pucker good equivalent to what I felt Rask did. And yeah man, that "chop" was even lighter than I remember it being! I'm not saying it felt good, but wow, that's Downy soft.

For the record, I learned this the hard way when I was playing in a fall travel league as a teenager. Was getting a bit pushy with a player who was screening me / backing me into my crease, and I turned and appealed to the ref for a call (might have even put my hands up, like 'What the hell?'). Meanwhile, a savvy defenseman on the other team lobbed a wristshot right by me. I immediately knew what I'd done, and I felt like an idiot. I had enough shame to not even bother arguing with the ref when he was taking the puck out of the net. 

You can appeal to the refs and yell about whatever you want when the play's dead. But until the whistle blows, do everything you can to help your team. There's only so much you can do when the puck's in the back of your team's net and everyone's looking at you, wondering what the hell you were thinking.

8 minutes ago, icedog57 said:

I don't think anyone has posted this yet...saw it on twitter.

Saros looking great at practice this morning

Image-1.jpg

Wow. I literally gasped.  Looks so good....with that practice jersey.  Not so sure how that's gonna look with the dark jerseys, the white jerseys......awesome.

Nice find Icedog57

Needs a bold mask now. Solid navy with gold cage and a few gold stripes. Bold. Not that artsy fartsy paint he has now.

Something like this - with painter tape edges between stripes and without the 100 ghosted images and crap they now have to put in every mask.

Tape, paint and few beers. Sack up!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqwXHyRjAkb4uToYo29qY

19 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

I wonder who is more nervous: the guy shooting, the GM, or me watching this, all hoping he doesn't get hit in the head...

He looks good though!

Completely agree. It looks like the shooter is really trying to keep shots low, so much so that some of the power of the shots is just going into the ice. I assume it's an organisation-wide thing now not to shoot at his head... Makes me also wonder how many times a goalie will keep going out with no improvements to his mask and expect a different outcome. Obviously he has an endorsement deal with CCM and nothing can prevent concussions, but he should at the very least be testing alternative foams and padding other than the straight-from-the-80's VN foams.

On a related note, Tim Thomas apparently accrued brain damage during his career that only started showing symptoms at the end of his career. Whatever you think of the guy (and I'm a Vancouver fan so...), it's terrible to see the effects of repeated hits, even just small and, in isolation, nothing-type shots to the mask.

Jakub Kovar in the KHL all-star game doing his best Rick DiPietro impression (beard + SK2000). Also in the M4G Hockey gear which could be a topic for the clones thread... Most of their stuff appears to be a clone of either Reebok/CCM or Vaughn gear.

For reference:

InGoal update: More on Dipietroâs combo-cage and Hasek head shots

17 minutes ago, TitanG said:

Jakub Kovar in the KHL all-star game doing his best Rick DiPietro impression (beard + SK2000). Also in the M4G Hockey gear which could be a topic for the clones thread... Most of their stuff appears to be a clone of either Reebok/CCM or Vaughn gear.

For reference:

Jakub Kovar! Dumb question, but does anyone know why the hell the Flyers never gave this guy a shot after drafting him? I mean we know he likely would have been a bust then great for another team, but still. His numbers look good almost in every league/year? Did he just have no interest in going to the AHL?

1 hour ago, TitanG said:

For reference:

As SK2000j with no dangler/flapper could be one of the dumbest things I've seen a goalie wear in the modern game. That's insane.

With some of the euro guys I think they have zero interest going to the A to ride buses for 50-100k a year in their early 20s, when they can command at least double that if they're in the KHL / NLA / SHL where they're already comfortable and treated well. Interesting to see guys like Ramo / Sateri / Francouz / Koskinen move over as they get towards 30 and have had a good run in europe though. I think these guys have been quite savvy that they've found places where they've got a good shot at least been third string for their NHL clubs. 

Elvis Merzlikins is another good example - CBJ draft pick, could of joined the CBJ system a couple of years ago but chose to sign a contract extension for Lugano in the NLA so plays at a higher level than the A as a almost guaranteed starter for another two years. His NLA contract expires this year and he's already told the team he won't be back, so he's played his situation to perfection given the impending departure of Bob this summer (or sooner!) will mean he'll be most likely splitting time with Korpisalo for the big club next year. 

Ugh, I'm jealous of the vibrating foam roller... that must be nice.

This 'Theracane' is my latest gear addition (recommended to me by the doctor who oversaw my recovery from a separated shoulder). Really great for working out tight spots in the shoulders/back, I've been using it after every skate, and I'm fairly addicted. It is rather... intimating looking. My wife asks me to put it away when we have guests.

51Yb3SIbP6L._SY355_.jpg

Archived