2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Moose75 said:

I think one of the shops near me has a Brian's pad like that with horse hair in it. Looks gross.

I know I'm generalizing, but it's funny what the average hockey dude around my age listens to compared to the weird shit I tend to like. When I used to do part-time work in game day operations for a junior team I used to get headaches from all the EDM tracks. During showcases I'd get to play my own stuff. Naturally I'd slip in some more out-there stuff lol.

On topic: I feel like this set hasn't gotten enough love. One of the best Bauer printed graphics so far. That minion shit has got to go, though. Ullmark12.jpg

So far, I am seriously unimpressed by Bauer's print graphics. It sounds good on paper, and the some of the designs are cool — but I've seen so many pads that don't even match the colors to the jerseys. What a miss on that Buffalo set... "Durrr, did the printer run out of ink? 🤣" But seriously, the yellow and navy are way off. The navy looks so... flat. What's the excuse for that? They're not even ordering swatches of leather... it's a matter of choosing from an infinite amount of colors on Adobe Photoshop or some other design program. And I don't want to hear, "It's a new technology, they're still working on it." People have been saying that for 3 seasons now.

I dunno, if I'm working for Bauer and I saw those, I'd tell the person in charge of design to try again... I wouldn't even send those to an NHL client. 

18 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

So far, I am seriously unimpressed by Bauer's print graphics. It sounds good on paper, and the some of the designs are cool — but I've seen so many pads that don't even match the colors to the jerseys. What a miss on that Buffalo set... "Durrr, did the printer run out of ink? 🤣" But seriously, the yellow and navy are way off. The navy looks so... flat. What's the excuse for that? They're not even ordering swatches of leather... it's a matter of choosing from an infinite amount of colors on Adobe Photoshop or some other design program. And I don't want to hear, "It's a new technology, they're still working on it." People have been saying that for 3 seasons now.

I dunno, if I'm working for Bauer and I saw those, I'd tell the person in charge of design to try again... I wouldn't even send those to an NHL client. 

Agreed.  I don't think I'll ever appreciate real things as images on goalie gear.  It just looks too fake for me, like plastic or construction paper.

19 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Agree with this 100%.  There really is no excuse for a crap job of a colour match.  Too many sticks are this way as well.

19 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

The only benefit of the doubt I can give them on this set is maybe they printed them off in the true colours and it just looked too loud/bright.  I think the latest 2X sets with darker bases look way better than the darker based Supreme sets, so maybe they were actually still running some pro gear off of the older, shittier printing lines?

Even as an admitted Bauer fan, there are some graphics that just don't look great printed.  There's like a happy medium between something like this where there is no attempt at creating depth, and the throwback prints where they try to create so much depth that it just shows even more how flat they really are.  The Dubnyk, Markstrom graphics, or the Supreme that has kind of a cell shaded look as opposed to the Andersen/McKenna graphic are the best looking ones so far.

2 hours ago, stackem30 said:

So true. I’d rather get a stock graphic that’s stitched on than have crap quality 3D printed graphics that just look copy and pasted. 

I don’t see the appeal in bauer anything and I never will, except maybe their skates and helmets

4 hours ago, stackem30 said:

To be fair, it's still a newer technology. And to your point:

Weyrick_Blake_action_vs_RIT_11_13_18.jpg

Also Brian's does it better and they do it with jenpro. 

3 hours ago, cwarnar said:

BLACK BASED SET ALERT!!!

Overall strong 7 out of 10. Set up is actually pretty sweet. Helmet is a modern generic look. Good lord what a brutal tape job. Get some black tape on that blade and ditch taping up the shaft.

19 hours ago, Moose75 said:

To be fair, it's still a newer technology. And to your point:

Weyrick_Blake_action_vs_RIT_11_13_18.jpg

Also Brian's does it better and they do it with jenpro. 

Billington's set is more my style, and Nilsson's set is decidedly not my style... but I think it still looks pretty sweet. My only 'fear' is that the Senators jerseys will make the whole package look way too busy. But they look great with the practice jersey, and they would have looked great with the jersey Billington is wearing. IMO, that's the best jersey they've ever had, and they would be smart to revert to it next year. Apparently, they're getting a full refresh next year, so I'm holding out hope*

*Foolish and naive, given how most of the recent Adidas jerseys have looked.

32 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

OMGMAFLMFAOBBQ

So I am watching the Nashville vs. Florida game with the home, Florida feed.

Whoever the analyst commentator is just made a ridiculous, inaccurate assessment of Saros' pads.  It went like this, all while showing a close-up of Saros and the Preds winning 3-1:

-So back in the Ken Dryden days the pads were all leather, like a brown leather color

-And then the goalies all went to solid white pads, and there's a reason for that

-You know how white attracts the eyes? Your eyes are drawn to white.

-And tonight it seems like these yellow pads have attracted more eyes than not.

Just an absurd line of reasoning in the whole commentary and an inaccurate explanation of the idea behind solid white gear, which is of course because it allows the goalie to blend in the the surrounding more and blurring the lines of where the open net is in a split second when the shooters are looking up...making goalies look "bigger."

20190201_183752.jpg

20190201_183805.jpg

On 2/1/2019 at 6:45 PM, seagoal said:

Just an absurd line of reasoning in the whole commentary and an inaccurate explanation of the idea behind solid white gear, which is of course because it allows the goalie to blend in the the surrounding more and blurring the lines of where the open net is in a split second when the shooters are looking up...making goalies look "bigger

The Florida broadcast team is pretty retarded. https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/denis-potvin-apologizes-for-calling-daniel-sedin-a-low-life/

If you ever watch a handful of their games, you'll see that the above incident isn't exactly uncommon. They are a very odd pair and some of the crap they spew is Mike Milbury esque dumb.

34 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The Florida broadcast team is pretty retarded. https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/denis-potvin-apologizes-for-calling-daniel-sedin-a-low-life/

If you ever watch a handful of their games, you'll see that the above incident isn't exactly uncommon. They are a very odd pair and some of the crap they spew is Mike Milbury esque dumb.

Yeah, they're cringe worthy, for sure.

I guess it doesn't matter for a team that has about 200 fans and only 47 seats filled at the arena.   It's stunning that the Panthers still exist.

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I guess it doesn't matter for a team that has about 200 fans and only 47 seats filled at the arena.   It's stunning that the Panthers still exist.

Wow, I just searched up some pictures and never realized how small the fan base was lol. Luckily the Stars probably aren't going anywhere because the fan base here is only getting bigger. Arena is packed pretty much every game.

Archived