2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

39 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

This is referring to the thing he said on Facebook publicly when someone made a comment about a disabled kid, which is obviously not cool to make fun of someone like that but he could’ve said it differently

I googled it. I get it; heat of the moment, the target of his ire was some kid or dude being a piece of shit, but in this day and age you're going to be reprimanded for less. Especially if you're a pro athlete. And specifically, this kind of talk probably went over well in 2016: 

"God you sound like a 13 year old girl"

"Girls don't even whine as much as this guy does"

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

Matches the f'ing mess on his mask too. Have no friggen clue what it is or what it has to do with the st.pats or st.patricks day.

jHL0TDGqm3Gwp60E-H3eB-gsY0ZKbBGrJgDBy_OB9D8.jpg

Yea that looks equally as shitty

19 hours ago, Moose75 said:

It's a visual interpretation of his facebook group. 

Hahaha well played

23 hours ago, AG37 said:

The pattern is called "Hounds Tooth", according to Joz at Brian's, Sparks has wanted to incorporate that design for some time. I agree that is does NOT look visually awesome and the bucky is a bit out of place. I was hoping the St. Pats would be wearing 'vintage' brown gloves, helmets, and pants, IMO I think these would look great with some brown mixed in the uniform. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and Sparks comes up with some pretty unique and different designs.

4 hours ago, AG37 said:

Sparks mask is supposed to be the 'Fortnite Dinosaur skin', yes, really.  Pretty odd design to consider for something as simple and traditional as the St. Pats color scheme and uniforms. In this case, give the player what they ask for. I agree the mask could have been way cooler, but this is what Sparks wanted. Clover skin and Maple Leaf teeth are incorporated well I think considering the request.

fortnite delete later.jpg

Stop being so precisely on subject and let us have our fun and ridicule this loser with us lol

4 hours ago, Moose75 said:

What is this referring to?

With that stinker against Ottawa, a career .8XX% save percentage, and what he just said to the press, I think he just beat himself into a pulp.

Its from this-

50820921_Screenshot2019-03-17at6_21_03PM.thumb.png.a1c57e5a01485e7e6be7355b82281ce8.png

39270618_Screenshot2019-03-17at6_22_15PM.thumb.png.be7457e854d260cb1978ef46fd4ca0e1.png

He was trying to be the "good guy" sticking up for someone disabled and shot his mouth off

8 minutes ago, MTH said:

Won't be long until quickslide is banned.

And then it will be left to the likes of Warrior to create a better sliding pad without a fancy material. In turn this will likely lead to other companies having their own takes on AirSlide.

44 minutes ago, MTH said:

Won't be long until quickslide is banned.

Brian's Primo is Legal, Bauer CORTech is legal, CCM Speedskin is legal. Why would 'Quickslide' (which is the same as Brian's Primo) ever be banned?

37 minutes ago, AG37 said:

Brian's Primo is Legal, Bauer CORTech is legal, CCM Speedskin is legal. Why would 'Quickslide' (which is the same as Brian's Primo) ever be banned?

You see Griess stats? This is the N.H.L. we're talking about. They hate goalies.

(I used quickslide name like 'rollerblades' - all this material that helps goalies slide)

6 minutes ago, MTH said:

You see Griess stats? This is the N.H.L. we're talking about. They hate goalies.

(I used quickslide name like 'rollerblades' - all this material that helps goalies slide)

Then teams will just start recruiting speedskaters with their tree trunk thighs to play goalie and a new "this is what a goalie should look like" prototype will be born!

35 minutes ago, MTH said:

I hear after this next lockout that they will be banned. To slow down extra talented goalies that have defied all their gear changes (like Gibson or Vasy) they will require a stucco-like texture on the inside of their sliding area. It'll be like Harrison Bergeron handicaps, but for goalies. 

1 hour ago, AG37 said:

Why would 'Quickslide' ever be banned?

Because the vast majority of goalies are suffering from paranoia resulting from a persecution complex 🙃

All jokes aside, I'm genuinely curious — why would people care so much if something like SpeedSkin is banned in the NHL?

• It's not a protective feature, so nobody's safety is at risk
  • It's something that didn't exist until recently, and goalies certainly never 'needed' it
  • If it's banned across the league, no goalie is losing a competitive advantage — level playing field
  • It's not something that will fundamentally change the position/gear, like making pads 8" wide or making goalies use players' sticks.

I'm sure SpeedSkin is a nice feature and may help a bit, but at the end of the day... it's a minor bells-and-whistles feature that a company created/named/marketed to get your money, and then every other company rushed to make their own version so they could sell their pads. These companies want goalies to think that these materials will make a big difference in how they play, and that they're essential to being a successful goalie. It looks like these companies have done such a good job marketing this little feature and convincing goalies that it's a game-changer that people actually think it's partially responsible for an NHL goalie having a great week, or are worrying about whether the league will take it away from everyone... banned or not, it's not a big deal.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:51 AM, stackem30 said:

Because the vast majority of goalies are suffering from paranoia resulting from a persecution complex 🙃

All jokes aside, I'm genuinely curious — why would people care so much if something like SpeedSkin is banned in the NHL?

• It's not a protective feature, so nobody's safety is at risk
  • It's something that didn't exist until recently, and goalies certainly never 'needed' it
  • If it's banned across the league, no goalie is losing a competitive advantage — level playing field
  • It's not something that will fundamentally change the position/gear, like making pads 8" wide or making goalies use players' sticks.

I'm sure SpeedSkin is a nice feature and may help a bit, but at the end of the day... it's a minor bells-and-whistles feature that a company created/named/marketed to get your money, and then every other company rushed to make their own version so they could sell their pads. These companies want goalies to think that these materials will make a big difference in how they play, and that they're essential to being a successful goalie. It looks like these companies have done such a good job marketing this little feature and convincing goalies that it's a game-changer that people actually think it's partially responsible for an NHL goalie having a great week, or are worrying about whether the league will take it away from everyone... banned or not, it's not a big deal.

I'm not going to make the most solid argument here, but banning it would be stupid. Imagine if they went ahead and banned something bigger, like composite player sticks, and the backlash would be absolutely immense.

9 hours ago, keeperton said:

I'm not going to make the most solid argument here, but banning it would be stupid. Imagine if they went ahead and banned something bigger, like composite player sticks, and the backlash would be absolutely immense.

I'm going to agree with the first clause of the first sentence haha — comparing banning SpeedSkin to banning composite sticks is apples and oranges (as you alluded to, by saying it's something bigger). Composite sticks have have fundamentally changed the speed and control of the game, and have taken puckhandling, passing, shooting, scoring, and accuracy to a whole other level. They've also been around for what, 20 years now? SpeedSkin is a fairly gimmicky feature that maybe (maybe) allows goalies to slide a little bit faster. It hasn't been around long at all, and it hasn't had an iota of the impact that composite sticks have had. I don't think they're really comparable.

2 hours ago, MTH said:

It's like Nascar on ice. 

Race team starts winning a bunch of races and Nascar immediately works to figure out how and why and stop it.

And they wonder why the stands are empty anymore.

Oh yeah, totally the same thing...

Except for the fact that the last ten years of the NHL have been more or less dominated by the same handful of franchises that keep winning Cups.

Oh, you meant goalies are the ones who were winning races and are now being stopped by the NHL? And you think 'seats are empty' because chest pads are being streamlined and SpeedSkin might be taken away? You think the people who buys tickets even know that, let alone care? NHL attendance is down because the NHL is secretly working to hamstring the goalies? What?

Seriously, the whole "Goalies are being punished! Why is everyone out to get us?" thing is so tired at this point. Some people here love to complain and feel victimized — but seriously, it borders on paranoid narcissism after a point. If anyone really wants to feel screwed over by the conspiring powers that be, you can open a newspaper and read about real-life adult problems, like jobs, the economy, education, healthcare, the voting system, housing, the criminal justice system, etc. But SpeedSkin? Get over it, people.

It's easier and cheaper to change goalie equipment to increase scoring that doing something like making the ice surface larger, or other "non-traditional" things that would actually render the seats empty.

Also; There's a reason the stands are emptying. The current NHL level of play since Vegas was added has been a sloppy clusterf...err gongshow at a lightspeed pace. And having franchises in who-gives-a-crap cities for hockey doesn't help. You basically have to throw a small circus at the end of a game for Carolina fans to get involved. 

Also; none of the good goalies have really been affected by the rule changes because they are good and can evolve. There's just less good young guys who "have it", more nameless-faceless guys tethered to a narrow list of robotic responses. Then there's whatever Jake Allen does. 

To Stackem's point (somewhat): goalies that were good before SpeedSkin will still be good without it.

Also to his conspiratorial points: NHL is a corporate business, not a game. The corporate goal is about money and making lots of it. These owners don't care about what gets in the way of cashflow; player safety, quality of play, goalies. They just want rube fans like us to eat it up and spend our money on it. Then there's the Jeremy Jacobs. The 481st richest dude in the world, owner of the Bruins, likely rigger influencer of Bruins related things. He was the main supporter behind Bettman's extension, and basically has that grubby worm in his bill-filled back pocket.

2 hours ago, Moose75 said:

It's easier and cheaper to change goalie equipment to increase scoring that doing something like making the ice surface larger, or other "non-traditional" things that would actually render the seats empty.

Also; There's a reason the stands are emptying. The current NHL level of play since Vegas was added has been a sloppy clusterf...err gongshow at a lightspeed pace. And having franchises in who-gives-a-crap cities for hockey doesn't help. You basically have to throw a small circus at the end of a game for Carolina fans to get involved. 

being an anaheim ducks fan this hits close to home. our fanbase is awful, and so is our team, but jeez, we've been contenders for years and this is the fanbases reaction to it i guess...

In no particular order... @MTH@Moose75, @keeperton, @AG37@stackem30, @southpawtendy48, @ThatCarGuy... some food for thought in regards to the current scoring situation in the NHL... love it or hate it... and for a number of combined reasons... scoring is up.

"A total of 7,748 goals (including 86 shootout-deciding goals) were scored during 1,282 regular-season NHL games during the 2018 calendar year, an average of 6.04 per game. The 7,748 goals were the most-ever scored in one calendar year in NHL history, shattering the previous mark of 7,410 set in 2006." - https://www.nhl.com/news/facts-and-figures-for-2018-in-nhl/c-303446112

Sliding surfaces (Warrior's case less applicable to an NHL argument but included nonetheless) aren't gimmicky at all. Each does reduce the amount of force to get a pad sliding (overcoming static friction) and the amount of force to keep a pad sliding (overcoming kinetic friction.) These materials and configurations simply aim to reduce the coefficients of friction, which is only one factor of these equations. In our case the resulting leg strength it takes to overcome these forces of friction largely resides in the mass being applied. Two things the NHL cannot regulate, the size of a goaltender and how strong their legs are. So while materials like composites and to a degree sliding surfaces are a constant arms race... I can't see the NHL making a case for these materials to be banned. It just doesn't add up to significant advantage for the goaltender.

Static Friction: Fs max being the amount of force it would take to overcome Static Friction

Fs max=μsFn... where μs=Coefficient of Static Friction and Fn=Force Normal (Mass * Force of Gravity)

Fs max=(0.2)(100 kg)(9.8m/s2)

Fs max=196N So a goalie at 100kg (220 lbs) would need to exert 196N of force to overcome Static Friction and make his pads slide.

Drop 9 kg (20lbs) vs. μs Reduction

177.8N =(0.2)(90.7 kg)(9.8m/s2) vs. 186.2N =(0.19)(100 kg)(9.8m/s2)

26 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

In no particular order... @MTH@Moose75, @keeperton, @AG37@stackem30, @southpawtendy48, @ThatCarGuy... some food for thought in regards to the current scoring situation in the NHL... love it or hate it... and for a number of combined reasons... scoring is up.

"A total of 7,748 goals (including 86 shootout-deciding goals) were scored during 1,282 regular-season NHL games during the 2018 calendar year, an average of 6.04 per game. The 7,748 goals were the most-ever scored in one calendar year in NHL history, shattering the previous mark of 7,410 set in 2006." - 

I mean, what are there... 48 teams in the NHL now?

Odds are that goal scoring when there were 6 NHL teams was a lot less than the 7748 goals last year.

I'm not a mathematician, but I do wear glasses.

23 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Oh yeah, totally the same thing...

Except for the fact that the last ten years of the NHL have been more or less dominated by the same handful of franchises that keep winning Cups.

Oh, you meant goalies are the ones who were winning races and are now being stopped by the NHL? And you think 'seats are empty' because chest pads are being streamlined and SpeedSkin might be taken away? You think the people who buys tickets even know that, let alone care? NHL attendance is down because the NHL is secretly working to hamstring the goalies? What?

Seriously, the whole "Goalies are being punished! Why is everyone out to get us?" thing is so tired at this point. Some people here love to complain and feel victimized — but seriously, it borders on paranoid narcissism after a point. If anyone really wants to feel screwed over by the conspiring powers that be, you can open a newspaper and read about real-life adult problems, like jobs, the economy, education, healthcare, the voting system, housing, the criminal justice system, etc. But SpeedSkin? Get over it, people.

How this post ended at Stackem's office...

giphy.gif

@BadAngle41 I suppose I could have been a bit more clear with my phrasing — the term "gimmick" is a bit loaded, and I didn't mean it in an entirely dismissive way.

I don't think SpeedSkin (and the like) is a gimmick in the sense that it has no effect on sliding (dude, nice physics work... brings me back to high school). I'm sure there is some benefit to them, and if I were a professional goalie, I'd almost assuredly want it on my pads. Why not? It can't hurt, and at that level, you want every single competitive advantage.

I think it's a "gimmick" in the sense that it's a pretty minor feature that gear companies will try to sell as essential, groundbreaking, etc. I'm not faulting them — that's how marketing works, especially in a market like goalie gear where (let's take off our gear nerd glasses for a second) everything is pretttty much the same. Every year, there are a few new features (bungees, velcro straps, loops, a new foam) that these companies need to sell people on in order to convince them that this year's pad better than last year's pad — or that it's slightly better than the competitor's pad.

CCM isn't going to sell lots of new, expensive leg pads by saying, "So we put SpeedSkin on these pads — in theory, this could help you slide faster. Not sure how much of a difference it will make, but can't hurt, right?" No way, they've got to say that this is going to make moving around easier, faster, and will be the difference between you making a save or not. They want to convince people that SpeedSkin will give them a legitimate competitive advantage, and make them a more successful goalie. 

I'm not saying SpeedSkin is snake oil, or that it doesn't do anything. I'm saying it's a feature that companies need to sell people on, and that it's value inevitably get overhyped. I don't think SpeedSkin is giving anyone a distinctive competitive advantage, or that it's responsible for an NHL goalie having a great week of hockey. Personally, I'd be skeptical as to whether SpeedSkin was the sole difference in a goalie making a save vs. allowing a goal this season. Either way, I don't think it's elevating the position, and I don't think it would be a loss that would set goalies back if it were to be banned in the future. And I certainly don't think it has anything to do with NHL attendance...

1 hour ago, MTH said:

napoleon-dynamite-ss2.jpg?itok=fxX4iecB

Statics skills gets the babes.

I'm not sure if you meant Statistics or Static Friction... but either way I've done more than alright.

1 hour ago, MTH said:

I mean, what are there... 48 teams in the NHL now?

Odds are that goal scoring when there were 6 NHL teams was a lot less than the 7748 goals last year.

I'm not a mathematician, but I do wear glasses.

With 1 team added since the 2006... and removing the 86 shootout deciding goals... goals/game is nearly identical at 5.977 for  2018 and 5.976 for 2006. So yes adding a team has increased regulation scoring almost exactly by the factor of teams added. How about Goal/Regular Season Games Played (G/GP) and Goals/Team (G/Team)... since 2005-2006 season... there has been an increase in scoring in the past decade... no matter how you're slicing it...

image.png.5d751ec082cbb614de8dcea8feac7fa4.png

Archived