Re-foaming Knee Blocks?

raucebyalien

My Gnetik2's are just about to turn three years old and the knee block foam is showing signs of compression wear (I tend to land towards the bottom of the stack not flush in the centre which makes it worse I guess). Being in the UK makes the logistics and expense of sorting direct replacements more difficult albeit from Brians or from somewhere like PAW, and with them being a custom set just buying a generic black replacement set wouldn't be ideal.

So I figured an alternative and inexpensive fix would just be to open up the existing ones, get some closed cell foam off eBay and replace the internals. This also gives me the option of possibly making the block a bit stiffer than the stock Gnetik stack - has anyone already done this type of job and what sort of foam did you use??

You sure you couldn't get a set shipped from Canada ? I order a lot of stuff from the dart stores over in the UK to Canada and shipping is pretty cheap from the UK to me here. Normally it takes 4 to 7 days and I have it. Alot quicker then ordering from the US. Also if you wanted to order a set I can help you get them over there 

1 hour ago, raucebyalien said:

My Gnetik2's are just about to turn three years old and the knee block foam is showing signs of compression wear (I tend to land towards the bottom of the stack not flush in the centre which makes it worse I guess). Being in the UK makes the logistics and expense of sorting direct replacements more difficult albeit from Brians or from somewhere like PAW, and with them being a custom set just buying a generic black replacement set wouldn't be ideal.

So I figured an alternative and inexpensive fix would just be to open up the existing ones, get some closed cell foam off eBay and replace the internals. This also gives me the option of possibly making the block a bit stiffer than the stock Gnetik stack - has anyone already done this type of job and what sort of foam did you use??

If you go the DIY route, I’ve found fitness mats to be a good source of cheap foam. Lots of different thicknesses and densities out there too. 

Thanks for the offer @Snowman30 - shipping tends not to be too bad, it's the customs and VAT charges that kill us for importing stuff from NA to the UK. I ordered some food supplements from the US worth approx £30 last week and got stung for an additional £17 in charges just to give you an idea of the proportions!

I'm hoping to get some firmer foam too to help recreate the seal and stability of the stack in my old P4's  

8 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

Thanks for the offer @Snowman30 - shipping tends not to be too bad, it's the customs and VAT charges that kill us for importing stuff from NA to the UK. I ordered some food supplements from the US worth approx £30 last week and got stung for an additional £17 in charges just to give you an idea of the proportions!

I'm hoping to get some firmer foam too to help recreate the seal and stability of the stack in my old P4's  

That is the chief reason why my wife and I don’t send hardly anything home any longer. Every once in awhile we send her mum a “$5 jumper”, but the package is small and (somewhat) light. But it still can cost a king’s ransom to send it; G’d knows what the duty would be if we told the truth about value!!!! We wait until she goes home (I have few relatives back home these days) to give family gifts and such. My sister-in-law does send spice packets for meals and we don’t get tagged (mmmmm... savoury mince!) here in America.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an update to this topic; I decided to give it a go, crack open the existing Brians stacks and get some replacement LD45 foam ordered.

The Brians stack is made up of two unglued pieces of 10mm and 15mm foam, but ideally I wanted to increase the size of the stack slightly to make it more like a CCM block. Made a mock up with the existing foam sandwiching a piece of 5mm camping mat off cut (the camping mat has been used in a wide variety of other projects!) and tried it in the stack cover; went in without too much stress and felt good on the pad so went ahead and ordered some new 10mm and 20mm sheets off eBay.

Thinking of potentially putting a sheet of 1mm plastic in between the foams too, to give them a bit more strength...undecided as yet

IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

Archived