Fighting Dehydration

stackem30

Wanted to poll the collective minds of this board on something: I've been getting super dehydrated after games lately, and I'm unsure of what to do about it. Here's the synopsis of my general hydration:

1. I'm 6'2", 185 lbs. Decent athletic build.
  2. I play hockey once a week (55 minute game) and run/exercise at least two other days.
  3. I am good about staying hydrated day to day, and after normal (non-hockey) exercise.
  4. On game days, I am drinking 3+ Nalgenes (68oz total) of water throughout the day. It feels like a LOT. Let's just say the people in my office with desks close to the men's room see a lot of me.
  5. During the game, I drink less than a single water bottle. I really hate feeling full on water when I play, and I'm so hydrated before the game that I'm rarely thirsty.
  6. The rink I play in (Warrior Arena, where the Bruins practice) is crazy warm, so after the game I'm still sweating as we get undressed.
  7. I usually have a (super light) beer with my teammates after the game.
  8. I'll drink as many glasses of water (probably another 32oz) as I can when I get home. We play late (tonight's game is 11pm), so there's only so much time to sit drinking water at home after a game.
  9. The next day, I often wake up with a headache, and my urine is darker than usual.

So what gives? Granted, I'm 'getting older' (30), but dehydration has never been an issue for me in my hockey career. Am I (somehow) not drinking enough water? Is it possible that I'm over-hydrating? Do I need to start paying attention to replacing electrolytes after a game (admittedly, I've always ignored much of that stuff, and assumed it was mostly a tool to help sell Gatorade...)?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks everyone!

17 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Do you replace electrolytes? You may need to replace electrolytes, as well.

I used to get headaches during my pickup sessions where I would be drinking less water during the game just due to the lack of stoppages.  It was recommended that I try something like Pedialyte mixed with my gatorade.  Something like that might be what you would want to try.  Add something to your game water with a lot more sodium/potassium etc.  I have powdered Pedialyte and some other more "extreme" stuff that my gf got for free from her aunt's old boyfriend that also seems to work.  Same principle, powdered addition to help you retain/replace electrolytes.

Gatorade typically has a lot more sugar/carbs that come along with any added sodium, which you probably don't really need.

21 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

I used to get headaches during my pickup sessions where I would be drinking less water during the game just due to the lack of stoppages.  It was recommended that I try something like Pedialyte mixed with my gatorade.  Something like that might be what you would want to try.  Add something to your game water with a lot more sodium/potassium etc.  I have powdered Pedialyte and some other more "extreme" stuff that my gf got for free from her aunt's old boyfriend that also seems to work.  Same principle, powdered addition to help you retain/replace electrolytes.

Gatorade typically has a lot more sugar/carbs that come along with any added sodium, which you probably don't really need.

I think you (and bunnyman666) may have put your finger on the issue, and what I can do about it. Any recommendations as to how much Pedialyte I would want to add to my water bottle (I have the standard tall green Gatorade bottle)?

It's just struck me as odd that I can be so dialed into staying hydrated, yet I continue to feel so awful and dehydrated the next morning. I'm not surprised that me eschewing electrolytes and basic sports science has bitten me in the ass. Thanks all.

@stackem30 You can get individual serving packets, or probably larger cans of the powder.  Just start out with a single serving recommendation and dial it in from there.  I only use a single serving in the same water bottle.

I do a 50/50 mix of G2 and water, plus the powder.  Then fill the rest of the gatorade bottle with water and have that after the game.  But that's what I've found works for me.

@stackem30 I cheat and use Gatorade G2 (lower cal and sugar) and Propel drinks. 

When I was an endurance athlete, it was a whole different animal. I would eat salted pretzels days before an event, even dashing extra salt onto meals to get the needed electrolytes. If I did not, I would cramp horrendously! There were drinks I had used (and now don’t remember the names of), but I don’t know how well they translate to hockey. I did use pedialyte and de-fizzed pop, but again- different animals here. 

Do you get like this in the winter as well? I play twice a week and feel like that in the hour games in the summer, it's just the humidity I think.  What can you do? Drink some more water and enjoy, during games I like to squirt water on my face...it helps, I don't necessarily drink a lot during a game but some.  I'm also Athletic but 36 now :) 

On 7/17/2018 at 1:09 PM, mr_shifty1982 said:

Do you get like this in the winter as well? I play twice a week and feel like that in the hour games in the summer, it's just the humidity I think.  What can you do? Drink some more water and enjoy, during games I like to squirt water on my face...it helps, I don't necessarily drink a lot during a game but some.  I'm also Athletic but 36 now :) 

I have felt like this a bit during the winter, but it's definitely more pronounced during the summer. I'm sure humidity isn't helping.

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

I have felt like this a bit during the winter, but it's definitely more pronounced during the summer. I'm sure humidity isn't helping.

It's just the humidity, nothing you should worry about...nothing you can really do man...it's heat, hot this time around.  Pretty much the same as you walking outside for an hour, you will get hydrated but this time you got 20 pounds on you and you're playing hockey.  Just drink.

Moving this to Lifestyle - definitely not related to gear, but tangentially related to what we do off the ice.

I recommend BCAAs.  Gatorade is yucky, too much sugar.

I also recommend you cut out caffeine and alcohol if you are having issues with water retention the following day.

You may want to see a doc, especially if this has been a recent development.

4 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

I use Biosteel, the one without sugar, or Liquid IV.  

I use Biosteel as well... if your hydrating throughout the day just add one scoop of this to a 500ml (16oz) bottle of water about 15mins before game time. Then continue as per normal with straight water during the game.

They have four different flavours now...

0598353D-9094-4F82-8C28-0099EDF8DFB7.jpeg

@stackem30 how would you describe your caloric intake leading up to game day? Specifically, are you tracking your carbohydrate intake?

Ive started getting serious about upping my carb intake 1.5 days before game night and I’ve seen some significant improvement in my endurance during games. I’m a runner with above average fitness and endurance anyway, but I would find myself huffing and sucking down water after sustained time in the zone, etc. and that’s dropped substantially now. 

32 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@stackem30 how would you describe your caloric intake leading up to game day? Specifically, are you tracking your carbohydrate intake?

Ive started getting serious about upping my carb intake 1.5 days before game night and I’ve seen some significant improvement in my endurance during games. I’m a runner with above average fitness and endurance anyway, but I would find myself huffing and sucking down water after sustained time in the zone, etc. and that’s dropped substantially now. 

Although if you're a distance runner, that may be because you are well trained aerobically, but not anaerobically.  I am a middle aged chubster, but once I started getting serious about lifting, my goaltending endurance improved because I had improved my anaerobic capacity.  Nutrition definitely plays a role, but unless you're mixing in lots of intervals into your running, you're missing out on the better part of off-ice training.

Of course, you're in shape and I'm not (well, round is a shape) so your mileage may vary.  (See what I did there? ;) )

40 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

Although if you're a distance runner, that may be because you are well trained aerobically, but not anaerobically.  I am a middle aged chubster, but once I started getting serious about lifting, my goaltending endurance improved because I had improved my anaerobic capacity.  Nutrition definitely plays a role, but unless you're mixing in lots of intervals into your running, you're missing out on the better part of off-ice training.

Of course, you're in shape and I'm not (well, round is a shape) so your mileage may vary.  (See what I did there? ;) )

Ding! Ding! 

Anaerobic intervals is the name of the game for goalie fitness!!!!

Aerobic fitness is still going to help, but the anaerobic is going to be the biggest benefactor to combat tiredness and lethargy on the ice.

Back to the subject of hydration...

3 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

It's nothing out of the ordinary. My wife and I eat pretty healthy, and usually on days when I play hockey I'll try to have something with a good amount of carbs and protein, like some pasta and grilled chicken. Last night I had a hearty portion of grilled chicken, quinoa and peas. 

It could honestly be simply the beer after the game.  The lighter the beer the better and there are some studies saying that's not the worst recovery drink, since it helps replace some carbs and electrolytes BUT alcohol is also great at getting you to piss all that out, too.  I've avoided alcohol after games for years now because of that. I rarely feel great the next day if I don't, even after a single beer.  This might be enough to push you over the edge for the next morning.

One more thing to keep in mind, though.  Your morning headache alone might not be dehydration or at least not completely.  I had major migraines from grinding my teeth a few years back, if you're still keyed up after a late game, this could be it.  You could try using a store bought bite guard and see if it makes a difference, if that sounds likely to you.

I've also had morning headaches from neck position straining my shoulders, which I suspect is partly a result of craning my neck forward too much during games.  Doing some stretching before bed might help loosen tense upper back and neck muscles.

Seems odd to me as a 30 year old in decent shape to be experiencing those symptoms after games especially if this just recently started happening. To error on the side of caution I agree you should talk about this with your doctor. 

I did drink Pedialyte after last night's game in addition to my regular post-game hydration, and I still had a slight headache this morning. It was pretty mild though, and considering that it was one of the most humid days of the year, and that I sweat maybe as much as I ever have last night in an incredibly busy (35+ save) loss, and then had the displeasure in getting undressed in a hotter-than-hell locker room... I think it helped out. 

Thanks for the advice guys — lots of things to consider here, and a few good things to try out. I'll definitely be more mindful of all of this in the future. I do have my yearly physical approaching, so I'll mention all of this to my doc and see what they have to say. 

12 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

11 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Ding! Ding! 

Anaerobic intervals is the name of the game for goalie fitness!!!!

Aerobic fitness is still going to help, but the anaerobic is going to be the biggest benefactor to combat tiredness and lethargy on the ice.

Back to the subject of hydration...

Don’t worry boys, distance running is just my hobby, HIIT is my job lol. My current go-to is agility ladder drills while holding a medicine ball out front. Helping me shift my weight with my hands out front. 

9 hours ago, stackem30 said:

It's nothing out of the ordinary. My wife and I eat pretty healthy, and usually on days when I play hockey I'll try to have something with a good amount of carbs and protein, like some pasta and grilled chicken. Last night I had a hearty portion of grilled chicken, quinoa and peas. 

I’ve tried to switch to max carbs with minimal fiber to get it straight in there. Frozen fruit smoothies are my go-to. 

12 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

This, thanks!

In middle school and high school I was a decent runner (7 minute mile) but couldn't play net worth shit.

20 years later, my aerobic capacity is shot (half pack to full pack a day smoker from high school to mid 20s) but I think I'm a better goalie in general because I'm physically stronger, even if I've added a couple (lot of) lbs.

Archived