Bauer Gear

TheGoalNet

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@bunnyman666 - my first experience with a coated runner. I didn’t say anything about a special request and they came back that way. The Bauer rep saw a photo and gave me the heads up to make sure no one stones it again 

I asked about a sweet stick and he said that should be fine 

A leather strop is ALL that should be used on a coated runner! The polished side is harder and does not burr like the rougher finished “regular” steel. 

Skated for the first time in 72 days today with my goalie coach. Got to use my new Bauer equipment I picked up last week.

First impressions:

Bauer 961 XPM helmet: I was worried since I've been using my Itech 961 for such a long time, but it fits almost exactly the same! Very comfortable, especially the new foams they've added. Haven't take one to the head yet, so impact stuff is still to be seen.

Bauer 1X Vapor skates: Holy crap. I was not expecting my skating to feel as effortless as it did right off the bat. So much easier to grip with your edges, and the lack of a bulky cowling made me feel more connected to the ice. Also the fact that this was my first time wearing the skate and it both fit and felt more comfortable than my old ones is impressive. When Bauer first put these out I was very skeptical, but this is the real deal.

Bauer 1X Vapor pants: Let me just start with saying I detest new pants. The stiffness, the week or two of feeling awkward in every movement. I bought used pants to skip that feeling and just wore them until they felt apart. I was set on SLR pants until I tried these on. So light. The front is a bit tight for space since I'm a tucker, but once I tied the chest protector to the little loop on the pants, they meshed together nicely and interlinked well. The waist is made of a softer, more flexible material, so bending over and moving around was not an issue. Impressive for a first time wear. The legs were a little stiff, but there was no overall awkwardness. I like that they used a stretch liner on the inner thighs which made for a nice pocket for my knee pads to fit without clashing. I even ditched my suspenders because they felt so light and ergonomic that I didn't need them. 

TL;DR version:

BA_btIzCUAMfbEi.jpg.a10880cfc2d477b98a219aef12d95144.jpg

Overall, I'm very pleased with the initial skate in all of the gear. Maybe one of these days I'll try a Vapor composite stick if I find a good deal. Bauer is definitely making some really good stuff here after years of being a more on-the-fence brand for me.  

Edited by Moose75

I have 2 questions regarding the Vapor skates. I have the 700 model btw.

1- After 5 games, I'm slowly getting the hang of them, BUT, I've noticed that when I go into a b-fly slide or use a "flipper"pad save, my toe edges catch in the ice making it difficult and not as smooth as I usually am. Anyone else experience this?

2- When I first bought the skates, I had them baked of course, and sharpened. My friend/shop part owner said he had to remove the blade to sharpen them as the skate boot doesn't fit in the thing-a-ma-jig that hold it in place to slide across the stone. Is this the same for everyone?

38 minutes ago, RichMan said:

2- When I first bought the skates, I had them baked of course, and sharpened. My friend/shop part owner said he had to remove the blade to sharpen them as the skate boot doesn't fit in the thing-a-ma-jig that hold it in place to slide across the stone. Is this the same for everyone?

It's because the shape of the "cowling-less cowling" doesn't fit over most skate holders. It's the same with bent or damaged player Tuuks. If the latch can't lock the blade evenly into the holder, it's easier to just pop out the blade and sharpen it. There are holders that can do it without having to pop out the blade, such as this one:

sh7000.jpg

The 3mm steel width is equivalent to that of a player's steel, and so as long as the sharpener keeps the blade profiled straight, it's actually pretty easy to do compared to the typical 4mm. 4mm usually require more "dialing in" and witness marks (a fancy term for lightly pressing two sections of the blade, one by the toe and one by the heel, against the wheel, and checking out if the marks are even and dead on in the middle of the blade, or if they are off where one side is higher than the other and uneven). 

Edited by Moose75

On 27/11/2017 at 10:23 PM, RichMan said:

I have 2 questions regarding the Vapor skates. I have the 700 model btw.

1- After 5 games, I'm slowly getting the hang of them, BUT, I've noticed that when I go into a b-fly slide or use a "flipper"pad save, my toe edges catch in the ice making it difficult and not as smooth as I usually am. Anyone else experience this?

2- Same here, steel gets popped out for sharpening

1- I actually did have a similar experience with my 1S when I first got them. I don't have super flexible hips, so I imagine that was also part of my problem and someone with more mobility might not have that adjustment. 

At first the toe of my blade was dragging on the ice in the bfly, and getting up was a bit tougher (like I had to pick my leg up higher). I chalked it up to the mix of no cowling and also the extra height overall from my One100 LEs. But it went away after just a few games, which is too quick for my physio to have materially improved my hips that much, so I think you will probably adjust soon. 

7 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

2- Same here, steel gets popped out for sharpening

1- I actually did have a similar experience with my 1S when I first got them. I don't have super flexible hips, so I imagine that was also part of my problem and someone with more mobility might not have that adjustment. 

At first the toe of my blade was dragging on the ice in the bfly, and getting up was a bit tougher (like I had to pick my leg up higher). I chalked it up to the mix of no cowling and also the extra height overall from my One100 LEs. But it went away after just a few games, which is too quick for my physio to have materially improved my hips that much, so I think you will probably adjust soon. 

Exactly!! On a plus note, subbed in a league game last night and things were much better this time. I was more aggressive in my stance and with my shuffles/t-pushes. Didn't feel the height difference as much either, I guess I'm slowly adjusting. I guess much of it has to do with my lack of pad flare and rotator cuff flexibility. I'll need to get back on Maria's b-fly challenge again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-11-13 at 10:59 PM, TheGoalNet said:

The Supreme line has twists in the edges of the paddle near where the shaft meets the paddle and the paddle meets the blade. This helps with balance 

it also makes makes the front paddle part of the stick flat. A traditional stick paddle would be convex a bit 

Do you think it is so it performs more like a player stick? 

I currently own a pair of Bauer S160 PLAYER skates and am having a bit of an issue with fit.

I've wear EE's and had them baked for my feet, using them to referee. I also have flat feet so I can't use superfeet in them (using stock insole). I've tried a few ways of tying the laces but have the same issue: The outsides of my feet ranging from the arches hurts like a bitch and cannot move them once I get the foot out. It's fine on the ice but as soon as I take them off, the pain just comes like a truck.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks.

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Scott - I don’t quite follow the question? 

If you’re asking if it will shoot easier than a foamcore, the answer is yes 

No, it seems like the backhand of the paddle is shaped like a player stick but the paddle is kinda built arround it, purely my wild mind thinking up ridiculous ideas but I was wondering if they designed the stick to play like a player stick but have the paddle like a goalie stick?

10 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Wow that’s got to be the lightest retail mask out now right? With pro level protection at least. 

My personal CCM is lighter, but it has custom padding and a pro stock Ti cage... so it’s not really apples to apples 

How much does your XPM weigh? 

12 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Thoughts or  reviews on the Bauer 37.5 sweat bands? Currently using original orange sham bands in my Stacey. Possibly looking at making a switch 

ECEE5145-D681-4537-B57D-447A13AE5E88.jpeg.e313219becd13cb5927e0904fbe4d221.jpeg

I picked these up and am pretty satisfied.  By the amount of sweat that pours down my face after the game once I've taken my mask off, I'm pretty convinced it's doing its job.  Also pretty good for like a $10-15 experiment, although it took me forever to find someone in Canada who had them and wouldn't charge like $30 for shipping.