Bauer Gear

TheGoalNet

11 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I work in manufacturing and always prefer NA made gear when possible, but you do realize whatever device you posted this is on was made in China? 

It’s 100% possible to make a quality product over seas. 

I respect and support you wanted to buy local, but something doesn’t add up here?

One of the common complaints about Bauer masks since switching to being made in China is how flimsy they have become and how you can easily compress the sides in compared to their Canadian made counterparts of the past. While I agree China made products can be good, I don't think the disappointment of China made Bauer goalie masks is all that unwarranted.

44 minutes ago, Larceny#30 said:

thanks for the info will get it  

This better not be in relation my post from earlier about the C/A...

21 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Huh? Did you get the 960 for free? or was it a different mask and you're just randomly telling us you're getting rid of the 960?

It's a $600 C/A, so most definitely a good. Definitely not an antique at all. You should get it.

http://www.gametimesports.ca/product/ca7000

On 4/24/2018 at 9:24 AM, thebigm said:

This is from my email from my rep about the try it set:

Some notes below:

·        These are meant to be demo’d on ice by consumers and advertise for guys that have White demo size runs
·        These come with “blank graphic” Supreme Catcher and Blocker
o   These were all built in OCT so we find them a little stiffer than the confirmed stock gloves shipping for launch (built Nov to April)
o   I’d advise if you are in the store- show your dealers that these break in much easier after 6min in a skate oven!

The glove breaks in amazing after 6 min in the oven as you could see if my fapping video!

@thebigm When you say break them in using a skate oven, what exactly is that process? Just bake it? Tie it closed and let it cool down? I have a 1x glove that refuses to break in with keeps33 and I'm desperate.

Edited by goalieThreeOne
Tagged user

bough my goalie a new 1X chesty to replace is X900.  He liked the X900 but he'd out grown it and it wasn't padded enough for the level of hockey he plays.  So we upgraded him to the 1X.  According to him the feel was pretty much the same.  Wasn't crazy about the arm setup in that you can't adjust them at all.  Seems a little strange to me really.

Anyway, about a month later (not a lot of ice times), the arms have started pulling apart completely from the body.  Picture doesn't do a great job of illustrating it, but one arm is almost completely off.  This is probably just a one off bad stitching job, but to be honest I could see this being a common failure point with this unit.  There really isn't all that much holding this together.  My cheap Jofa shoulder pads I paid $49 for have more substance to the stitch.  Anyway, good on local prohockeylife, they took it back and let us flip into a different chesty..

20180310_121135.thumb.jpg.4a8cc0fcb26b681933840531f076917d.jpg20180425_073822.thumb.jpg.964af86a1d600dd0011d46d9aa3eca99.jpg20180425_073834.thumb.jpg.6b70230ff77040a5e423c2b6b46b057d.jpg

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

bough my goalie a new 1X chesty to replace is X900.  He liked the X900 but he'd out grown it and it wasn't padded enough for the level of hockey he plays.  So we upgraded him to the 1X.  According to him the feel was pretty much the same.  Wasn't crazy about the arm setup in that you can't adjust them at all.  Seems a little strange to me really.

Anyway, about a month later (not a lot of ice times), the arms have started pulling apart completely from the body.  Picture doesn't do a great job of illustrating it, but one arm is almost completely off.  This is probably just a one off bad stitching job, but to be honest I could see this being a common failure point with this unit.  There really isn't all that much holding this together.  My cheap Jofa shoulder pads I paid $49 for have more substance to the stitch.  Anyway, good on local prohockeylife, they took it back and let us flip into a different chesty..

20180310_121135.thumb.jpg.4a8cc0fcb26b681933840531f076917d.jpg20180425_073822.thumb.jpg.964af86a1d600dd0011d46d9aa3eca99.jpg20180425_073834.thumb.jpg.6b70230ff77040a5e423c2b6b46b057d.jpg

I haven't had that problem with mine, but I do know that the arms are a little short for the size, so its possible if his arms were too long that he was putting a lot of tension on that seam.  

5 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I haven't had that problem with mine, but I do know that the arms are a little short for the size, so its possible if his arms were too long that he was putting a lot of tension on that seam.  

That is the most likely scenario.  My kid has really long arms.  When we sized the 1X, it probably could have gone with the XL instead of the large, but the problem was that the XL body was just too big for him.  It seems weird that Bauer put no adjustment mechanism in these arms since most makes seem to have at least a little bit of play.  Its a great unit otherwise.  Nice and light, good protection...

10 hours ago, Matt said:

This happened to my Bauer chest protector, but only after years of use. Because I couldn't take mine back, I used skate laces to tie the arms back to the body. It has been holding up well since then.

On 4/25/2018 at 6:58 PM, DJohnson33 said:

I noticed Frederick Anderson has used two different inner gussets on his 2s Pro pads. The first one looks like the one on his old 1s pads.fullsizeoutput_439.thumb.jpeg.40c612ea04c2e44e510ae8970b284304.jpegfullsizeoutput_43a.thumb.jpeg.b5def1b06a67bcd4b7bdf4d08bd84793.jpegfullsizeoutput_435.thumb.jpeg.14037b38e64995ec23993bef57e5b226.jpegfullsizeoutput_438.jpeg.8f498354d05fcb40d2a5ac5186071d8e.jpeg

You are correct. He started with 2S and when he got an updated set, he reverted back to the 1S sliding surface. Good Eyes! 

On 4/26/2018 at 7:30 AM, Matt said:

1X seems like a really nice unit. I have been wanting to try one. Someone told me they had heard there was arm issues with this unit. I am not sure if that's true or not, but maybe this is what they were referring to. 

Did you get the same 1X again or a different brand? 

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

1X seems like a really nice unit. I have been wanting to try one. Someone told me they had heard there was arm issues with this unit. I am not sure if that's true or not, but maybe this is what they were referring to. 

Did you get the same 1X again or a different brand? 

The intent was to get a new 1X, but... They had the new Optik in (finally).  I wasn't intending to have him switch, but once he tried it on he really liked it.  He had his first ice time with it on last night.  So 1X Large -> Optik Large

His comments:

• Easy break in.  i.e he already feels great in it.
  • much more form fitting
  • feels like he's got more protection
  • feels like he can move much easier.  Not that the 1X was bad...

My comments:

• Visually this CA is way more form fitting.  The 1X sat way higher up on his shoulders.  It gave him that "no neck" look with square shoulders.  The Optik doesn't have that, much more fitting with rounder shoulders.  Not sure if that is a great option or not.  He did look more imposing in the 1X.  I guess this is a size vs mobility thing.  Personally I'll take mobility all day...  We'll see if we can tweak the shoulders a bit to claw back a touch of that shoulder.
  • its a fair bit thicker on the chest.  What he's lost on shoulders, he's gained in the pecs. ?

Overall he's very happy with it.  It cost me an extra $50 but it is a nice unit.  The extra adjustments in it are a nice touch as well.  My kid used to always wear the warrior chesty so we're happy to get back in a unit that you can tweak a lot easier.

20180425_193106.jpg

On 4/25/2018 at 11:06 PM, goalieThreeOne said:

@thebigm When you say break them in using a skate oven, what exactly is that process? Just bake it? Tie it closed and let it cool down? I have a 1x glove that refuses to break in with keeps33 and I'm desperate.

I just put it in for 6 minutes and wore it around the store opening and closing it a bunch.  I played a little catch with my co-worker as well.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Matt said:

The intent was to get a new 1X, but... They had the new Optik in (finally).  I wasn't intending to have him switch, but once he tried it on he really liked it.  He had his first ice time with it on last night.  So 1X Large -> Optik Large

His comments:

• much more form fitting

My comments:

• Visually this CA is way more form fitting.  The 1X sat way higher up on his shoulders.  It gave him that "no neck" look with square shoulders.  The Optik doesn't have that, much more fitting with rounder shoulders.  Not sure if that is a great option or not.  He did look more imposing in the 1X.  I guess this is a size vs mobility thing.  Personally I'll take mobility all day...  We'll see if we can tweak the shoulders a bit to claw back a touch of that shoulder.
  • its a fair bit thicker on the chest.  What he's lost on shoulders, he's gained in the pecs. ?

Overall he's very happy with it.  It cost me an extra $50 but it is a nice unit.  The extra adjustments in it are a nice touch as well.  My kid used to always wear the warrior chesty so we're happy to get back in a unit that you can tweak a lot easier.

20180425_193106.jpg

Great info. That's the unit I have coming and why I have not tried the 1X. I believe this unit was designed to be ready for the new NHL spec and that's why it's more form fitting around the shoulders. I agree the mobility outweighs the Garth Snow look. 

59 minutes ago, Matt said:

His comments:

• much more form fitting

My comments:

Nice pickup!

40 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Great info. That's the unit I have coming and why I have not tried the 1X. I believe this unit was designed to be ready for the new NHL spec and that's why it's more form fitting around the shoulders. I agree the mobility outweighs the Garth Snow look. 

I read that as well about the NHL spec, but I was under the impression that it would need tweaks to be spec compliant.  

I'm almost concerned that this chesty is a little too trimmed down.  We'll see what we can do with some adjustments.  Its really an incredibly big difference.

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

I read that as well about the NHL spec, but I was under the impression that it would need tweaks to be spec compliant.  

I'm almost concerned that this chesty is a little too trimmed down.  We'll see what we can do with some adjustments.  Its really an incredibly big difference.

Yes, that is correct. From memory, Brian's started this project with the goal of it being NHL compliant. The NHL has still enforced the mandate, but Brian's liked the mobility and sight lines of the final product and moved forward with it. They will have a much easier time adopting the new specs.