Bauer Gear

TheGoalNet

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

C&As are the most personal... the Supreme line has a very loyal following 

I still use older ONE95 for trainings (and NXG for games). It is just you like it or hate it :) . Not a fan of 1S, don´t like the materials,hope 2S will be better.  

Edited by mik

7 hours ago, RichMan said:

Can someone explain to me what exactly separates the Vapor and S skates other than the look of the boot?

Vapor has 4mm steel, Supreme is 3mm. Vapor has a larger outer wrap than stock 1S so it tends to fit better if your foot sits farther forward in a flexed position. The symmetrical boot height I think is what you mentioned already, 1S boot is asymmetrical. Then I think the Vapor boot fits a little bit wider? That part I could be wrong on, but I believe there is a different fit of some sort. 

9 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Vapor has 4mm steel, Supreme is 3mm. Vapor has a larger outer wrap than stock 1S so it tends to fit better if your foot sits farther forward in a flexed position. The symmetrical boot height I think is what you mentioned already, 1S boot is asymmetrical. Then I think the Vapor boot fits a little bit wider? That part I could be wrong on, but I believe there is a different fit of some sort. 

Would you say the Supreme one is a stiffer boot like traditional skates or is the Vapor one stiffer?

14 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Would you say the Supreme one is a stiffer boot like traditional skates or is the Vapor one stiffer?

They are both pretty stiff, both using the curv composite heavily. I don't think one is intended to be stiffer than the other. Also I just looked at the product page again and it says 3mm steel for vapor as well, not sure where I thought I read 4mm.

Vapor does have a different tongue designed to be a bit more spring like. Supreme is pretty standard tongue, although I imagine the 2S will have some similar update. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

The vapors have 3mm steel. The last Bauer’s to have 4 were the reactors. Everything with the edge holder is 3mm

40 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

@Waldo I was definitely thinking of the Reactors, already checked the site and corrected that.

@bunnyman666 is the fatblade 2 thicknesses? Like 3mm for the part that goes in the holder, and 4mm outside? Patent Pending patent pending TM TM TM? 

Yes- 3mm for the holder, 4mm oitside. Same as the fatblade for Step’s own holder.

On 10/30/2017 at 1:32 PM, RichMan said:

That doesn't say all that much but someone already answered me this. Thanks anyways.

@RichMan - Stiffness will be similar. fit will be different. 

another main difference is that is that 1X will be a symmetrical boot and the 1S is asymmetrical

I have worn both skates. The 1X will be more comfy for a wide range of feet. I personally like the ankle on the 1S more as I don't notice it as much and it feels I have a wider range of motion with it.

To put it another way, I think these skates will be 80% the same once you get the past the fit. If you fit in both models, that is when you should dive into those 20% nuisances, that help more? 

• Thanks 1

It's always amazing to me how in goalie circles fit doesn't seem to be important. If you check player forums there are countless discussions on getting a correct fit with skates, but then you look at goalie places and see "Looking for bauer skates size 9" as if they aren't all totally different shapes. I don't get it. 

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

It's always amazing to me how in goalie circles fit doesn't seem to be important. If you check player forums there are countless discussions on getting a correct fit with skates, but then you look at goalie places and see "Looking for bauer skates size 9" as if they aren't all totally different shapes. I don't get it. 

I don't disagree. I feel the same way about pads. I don't understand how people are looking at the V7 and 1S pads. At some point, you should have an idea if you want a stiff pad or a flexible one. 

However, I think the skate world is broken to some extent. 

If fit is more important than the engineering behind them, why not just have 1 model of skate with 3 different fit options... Kinda like Optik with FLY and FLX. The skate companies contradict themselves by saying this model of skate is for player X and this model is for player Y. Yet player Y's feet might better fit in model X. 

After wearing both skates, I like the ankle shape and tech of the 1S more than the 1X. If the the 1S didn't fit me, I'd be annoyed because the skate I am more interested in doesn't fit me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

To be fair, I came from a One80 skate, half a size too tight, kept getting my big toe banged. My feet shape have changed the past 3 years and I just couldn't stand these skates anymore. too uncomfortable. I just got me some X700 skates last week. Got them baked and gave them a run on Saturday. It was a big adjustment compared to your traditional skate. My One80 had a more stiffer boot/ankle compared to the Vapors. I might need to bake them again and see if I can get a better lacing fit the second time.

Looking at pics of the Supremes, they seem bulkier and stiffer at the ankle compared to the Vapors. The shop didn't have the Supremes in store for me to compare firsthand.

10 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I'd still love the opportunity to try the Supremes on, and of course, there is surely a huge difference in fits between the pro and entry model.

If you are comfortable in the Vapor, I wouldn't worry about the Supreme. The Supreme line does not accommodate that many feet. One of the reason's the 1S got a bad rep is that people complained about foot pain and they had no business being in the 1S skate. They bought 1S to go cowlingless, but the skate doesn't fit right. 

I have very neutral feet. I have to take an extra moment when putting on my 1S skates to make sure I really get them dialed in before tightening. It's small, but it's something I have never dealt with before.