Bauer Gear

TheGoalNet

Just another followup on the Optik vs 1X sizing.  I realized I never took a picture during the month he had the 1X, but I did have game video.  He also just played his first game in the Optik Monday (which I have video of).  So I did a screen grab of each.  Its not the greatest quality, but you can really see the difference.

See how square the 1X is.  It also rides up quite a bit at the back of the helmet.  One of the first things my kid commented on was how much easier he could move his head around.  BTW, we did sinch it up quite a bit to try and beef up the shoulders a bit.  Still way smaller than the 1X.

He took a couple of rockets to the chest that night and didn't blink an eye...

Personally I think these are both great units.  Just depends on what you are looking for.

comp.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Just another followup on the Optik vs 1X sizing.  I realized I never took a picture during the month he had the 1X, but I did have game video.  He also just played his first game in the Optik Monday (which I have video of).  So I did a screen grab of each.  Its not the greatest quality, but you can really see the difference.

See how square the 1X is.  It also rides up quite a bit at the back of the helmet.  One of the first things my kid commented on was how much easier he could move his head around.  BTW, we did sinch it up quite a bit to try and beef up the shoulders a bit.  Still way smaller than the 1X.

Personally I think these are both great units.  Just depends on what you are looking for.

comp.jpg

Nice comparison photo - you can really see a marked difference from that angle. Better mobility and still great protection? Nice.

Me to Brain: commit "Optik C/A" to memory

Me to Brain: determine way to pay for new Optik C/A

Brain to me:

image.png.1f3eb2d2f0c372516a0e7a153a0b7bc0.png

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Matt said:

comp.jpg

Very well said! 

9 hours ago, Matt said:

comp.jpg

That's how we should look.  That is what I thought I was getting when I moved into an NHL Spec Brown c/a from a non spec.  Definitely not the case.  I think my NHL spec c/a looks bigger than my non spec.  

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

The Optik looks more like a ‘70s/80s goalie than the 1X. We forget how compact the old units were. I wonder how shoulder protection is in the Optik? 

I really wanted to love the chest. From the front shoulders are covered, but I felt like the side of my shoulder / upper arm is exposed during post play.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

comp.jpg

In case he wants to go back to a 1X, I've got a lightly used Large that I'm looking to unload...beats buying a new one.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

In case he wants to go back to a 1X, I've got a lightly used Large that I'm looking to unload...beats buying a new one.

Thanks, but I think he's married to that Optik now.

17 hours ago, itis121 said:

Anybody have 1x pants? Looking to get a pair at a fair price, are they worth it? 

I can help with that!

Had the 1x pants for about a month but ended up selling them. They feel just like the Reactors in terms of fit and work well for a pair of pants.

What I didn't like is the strapping system. The "fast strap" is super nice in theory, but I didn't feel like it was enough to keep the pants up. Suspenders are mandatory. I like to lace in my pants to my chest, but there's no skate lace. The entire design of the 1X pant just seems like an afterthought. They incorporated these new things to the Reactor design such as the strapping and their Aerolite foam, but they only work in one very specific way. 

If you DON'T tuck in your chest protector, these pants will not work for you. Like at all. The wide waist, fast strap and the super rigid front piece made not tucking a hinderance. 

To be honest, I think the 1S/2S is just the better designed pant. LOVE my 1S pants in terms of fit (there's a single gap in protection but it's not painful, just a "feel it a bit" type of sensation). If you want a more mobile pant similar to the 1X, I would suggest the streamlined 2S. 

Edited by Aquilzz

17 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

I can help with that! 

OK thank. Saw a pair of prostock, the lack of colour was a bit misleading & the seller told me that they were supremes. I'll probably get some 1s on sale then

Picked up a couple of new twigs today. 1X for games and S27 for pickup/practices.

Was able to get an S27 but not a 2S (or a 2S Pro) for some reason. Felt the non-pro 2S in person and even though it couldn’t be sold, I was a fan. The 2S pro is just too big of a departure for me at least for now.

50F67085-BAC6-4BD8-AAE2-9B804D47161B.jpeg

D1EEFD90-2DA0-49B6-A427-C1803CCE53A6.jpeg

The fact that we can only get P31s now for Bauer is ridiculous. I don’t mind a mid curve on a stick, but nothing beats the Mrazek curve.

Edited by Aquilzz

6 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Picked up a couple of new twigs today. 1X for games and S27 for pickup/practices.

Was able to get an S27 but not a 2S (or a 2S Pro) for some reason. Felt the non-pro 2S in person and even though it couldn’t be sold, I was a fan. The 2S pro is just too big of a departure for me at least for now.

The fact that we can only get P31s now for Bauer is ridiculous. I don’t mind a mid curve on a stick, but nothing beats the Mrazek curve.

Did you match the sticks to the socks or vice versa? :) 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Not defending Bauer, but I know why P31 only 

Bauer uses mold tooling to make the Ergo Spine. Due to the popularity of the P31, up front costs, and the timeline to bring this to market they decided to only launch with P31. I don’t know a date and it could be a very very long way out, but at some point you’ll be able to order more patterns 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Goalieinneed said:

I am currently wearing warrior g1 leg pads they are 34+1.5 they seem a little to big I want to sell them to help purchase a set of 1s or 1x’s can anyone help with sizing? I heard Bauer runs small and can runs big but where does warrior fit in?

Measure your FTK and use the size chart.

bauerpadsizing.png

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I would also consider going conservative with the Bauer sizing coming from a softer pad like Warrior. I would go with a M and not a L 

@Goalieinneed I second this point.  I came from 37"+1" TotalOne's with dual soft breaks, to a L 1S pad which maps closest to 35" (as in the graphic above), and there's still like a quarter of the knee block that sits above my knee in the bfly.  I might get someone to move my knee blocks down a notch, since I tried a 34" pad and got lots of shots to the knees that I don't usually get.  I don't have super mobile hips though, so I need that full thigh rise.  If you've got generally good mobility, a size down would probably suit you just fine.

On 5/7/2018 at 12:17 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Measure your FTK and use the size chart.

bauerpadsizing.png

I would consider going conservative as well

I have worn GT 35+ G4 35+  1&2S Large 35+1 but with the vapor I wore a large and due to it's design of the knee block being smaller I slip down/off the knee block and would prefer a medium.