Which Online Selling Sites Do You Prefer?

Matt

Hey all,

I've sold loads of gear over the last 8 years as my kid has always played goalie.  I've used mostly Kijiji or other local online classifieds.  What do you guys find works best?  I know there is a forum here...  Anyone try sideline swap or something else?  I shipped lots of gear last year, so I'm not against doing that..  As the gear is getting pricier I find that my local market is drying up a bit (way too many low ball offers).

Also...

This is my first time selling SR "pro" grade gear.  What generally is the ask point for gear (i.e. pads/glove/blocker) in good condition (i.e. 1 year old).

any thoughts appreciated.

I've mainly dealt with Kijiji too.  Sold one of my last chesties (Bauer NXG Goalie Crease Spec) to a guy who wanted it for ball hockey.  Seemed like overkill, but if he was willing to pay me for it then whatever.

Just registered on Sideline Swap to try and unload my last set, for the same reasons you listed about the locals.  They either don't know what they're looking at and lowball you, or they do know what they're looking at and lowball you. 

I once had a guy make me an offer, then another guy made me an offer for less.  I told guy 2 that I had someone else interested but if they flaked out he could have them for that price.  Then guy 1 msg's me back like "hey you offered my cousin a lower price, can I get it for that?"  So I told them to get lost.

Have never used Kijiji before but thats because I don't live in Canada. The site itself is pretty terrible though from the couple times I've browsed on it.

I use Sideline Swap for everything. I had stuff that sat on ebay and craigslist for month that sold less than an hour after listing on Sideline Swap. 

23 hours ago, Matt said:

Hey all,

I've sold loads of gear over the last 8 years as my kid has always played goalie.  I've used mostly Kijiji or other local online classifieds.  What do you guys find works best?  I know there is a forum here...  Anyone try sideline swap or something else?  I shipped lots of gear last year, so I'm not against doing that..  As the gear is getting pricier I find that my local market is drying up a bit (way too many low ball offers).

Also...

This is my first time selling SR "pro" grade gear.  What generally is the ask point for gear (i.e. pads/glove/blocker) in good condition (i.e. 1 year old).

any thoughts appreciated.

depending on the condition youd prob drop the price 200-400$. If youre selling online you could write obo (or best offer) and people will let you know how much theyre willing to pay

Sideline swap is nice since the fees seem to be a touch lower than eBay but be prepared for most of your offers to be lowballs. I recently moved a bunch of stuff through there and though I got rid of most of my stuff it was at a pretty decent loss.

4 minutes ago, wox33 said:

Sideline swap is nice since the fees seem to be a touch lower than eBay but be prepared for most of your offers to be lowballs. I recently moved a bunch of stuff through there and though I got rid of most of my stuff it was at a pretty decent loss.

How much was the fee?  i.e. was it a percentage, or a posting fee?

8 minutes ago, Max27 said:

depending on the condition youd prob drop the price 200-400$. If youre selling online you could write obo (or best offer) and people will let you know how much theyre willing to pay

It seems like a big ask for used gear.

for instance I'm selling pads, glove and blocker.   All 1 year old.  Good condition.  I paid over $3000 at the time.  I just bought the latest and greatest (pads,glove,blocker) and it ran me almost bang on $3000.  My gut keeps telling me to come in around 50% but I've under sold in the past, not a great feeling.  I've also over priced and had things sit around for an extended stretch, not idea either.  I don't mind waiting, but don't want to scare "reasonable" buyers away.

2 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

The wording when I registered was a % of sale with a max of $50, but haven't actually listed or sold yet.

Interesting, I'll check it out.  I was doing an audit of my excess gear and I'm sitting on too much stuff for sure.  Need to recoup some bucks ?

24 minutes ago, MadsM said:

But Sideline is really smart with the shipping, which could save quiet a hazzle. 

I shipped some stuff around last year and it was actually pretty simple.  Most of the major carriers have calculator online that are easy to use to get estimates and such.  The biggest issue usually is finding a box.

I'd say the payment processing is probably the most attractive option for the buyer and seller.  I know when I ship I insist on full payment before anything gets shipped.  I could see buyers getting nervous about that.  i.e. little or no recourse..

I may still post my bigger $$$ items there for that reason.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

for instance I'm selling pads, glove and blocker.   All 1 year old.  Good condition.  I paid over $3000 at the time.  I just bought the latest and greatest (pads,glove,blocker) and it ran me almost bang on $3000.  My gut keeps telling me to come in around 50% but I've under sold in the past, not a great feeling.  I've also over priced and had things sit around for an extended stretch, not idea either.  I don't mind waiting, but don't want to scare "reasonable" buyers away.

id say prob ¨1700 obo¨

8 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm in that exact same boat as you, I'm looking for 1800 @Max27 but Canadian....on kijijij forget it, no one wants anything

Maybe it picks up in the winter?

11 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I'm in that exact same boat as you, I'm looking for 1800 @Max27 but Canadian....on kijijij forget it, no one wants anything

Maybe it picks up in the winter?

I'm generally really patient when I sell.  I usually have no problem turning people down.  I held on to one set of pads for almost 9 months until I sold.  I find in my area (for gear for minors) it picks up briefly in March, and then really picks up in August.  Somewhat curious to see what happens with adult gear as most people play year round and frankly don't care as much about breaking in new gear "in season".

31 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm generally really patient when I sell.  I usually have no problem turning people down.  I held on to one set of pads for almost 9 months until I sold.  I find in my area (for gear for minors) it picks up briefly in March, and then really picks up in August.  Somewhat curious to see what happens with adult gear as most people play year round and frankly don't care as much about breaking in new gear "in season".

I'm in no rush as well, it might take 6 months, maybe 10 but someone will buy my gear eventually.  It's easy for me to turn down guys I don't care.

But it seems like there is a kijiji police out there, people sitting on there looking for gear thinking they can tell YOU how to sell and for what price, it's actually pretty funny!  I had this one guy sending me a link for strategies on marketing haha.

3 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I'm in no rush as well, it might take 6 months, maybe 10 but someone will buy my gear eventually.  It's easy for me to turn down guys I don't care.

But it seems like there is a kijiji police out there, people sitting on there looking for gear thinking they can tell YOU how to sell and for what price, it's actually pretty funny!  I had this one guy sending me a link for strategies on marketing haha.

I love the price police.  I had one guy all over me about the price of the last goalie pants I sold.  He was adamant that he could get the pants new for about $30 (+ tax) more than my asking.  I told him if I was him, I'd go buy the new ones.  I sold them for full price about 2 weeks later.

I've also had guys send me links to cheaper online stuff.  Its always clearance and out of stock.  They get the same reply.  "If you can find it, I'd buy it".

20 hours ago, MadsM said:

But Sideline is really smart with the shipping, which could save quiet a hazzle. 

Absolutely true. The fact that they know what most items cost to ship and they generate the label for you as well. 

20 hours ago, Matt said:

I shipped some stuff around last year and it was actually pretty simple.  Most of the major carriers have calculator online that are easy to use to get estimates and such.  The biggest issue usually is finding a box.

I'd say the payment processing is probably the most attractive option for the buyer and seller.  I know when I ship I insist on full payment before anything gets shipped.  I could see buyers getting nervous about that.  i.e. little or no recourse..

I may still post my bigger $$$ items there for that reason.

I love that for most items they tell you what size box to use. I just go to the UPS store and ask for the specific size box. 

For me, the WAY the site works is worth the fee. The way the escrow system works, the way the listings are done, the convenience of the shipping label handling, etc. 

okay, I forgot my other pet peve.  the "what's your best price" guy.  I hate that question. why would I negotiate with myself. just make me an offer... the best price for me is two times higher! ?

i put some stuff up on sideline swap last night.  we'll see how it goes... 

Okay, I've now sold two items on Sideline swap (chesty and pants).  I just shipped them off today.  I have to say its gone pretty smoothly so far. 

A few things I'd say to keep in mind. 

-Keep track of the dimensions that you listed with the item.  Maybe I'm missing it, but once you agree to a sale you can't access that info, so before you click accept double check what you listed.

-When listing, review the suggested item sizes.  The two of the items I listed had suggested sizes that weren't even close.  Keep in mind that if you list too small and the boxes takes more to ship you as the seller are on the hook for it.

-This related to the above, but I was really surprised  when I dropped my items off that the Post Office did no checks on the box at all.  i.e. my package could have been way bigger or smaller than expected.  No idea if this is normal or not, but it seemed odd to me.  I thought I had one box a bit over and one a bit under.

Anyway, so far so good.  Its an interesting service.  It costs you more $$ to use it, but if you want to unload your gear quicker, it opens up a bigger market.  Still hoping to get some action on the bigger items I have listed...  We'll see though.

I use them all...Ebay, SidelineSwap, Facebook, even Craigslist.  Ebay and Sidelineswap are the best for reaching the most potential buyers and are easier for shipping overseas, but you will get a lot of low ball offers and time wasters.  Facebook (GGSU, Goalie Gear For Sale, Goalie Gear Fanatics) will net you the most money because there are no fees but will be a smaller audience. 

Keep in mind that the market is cyclical.  August through September are good months to sell as well as around the holidays.  Once you get into the late spring and early summer months, it can get tough as its the off season so there are less buyers. 

A lot of people struggle with low ball offers because they just don't know what the stuff is worth.  Used gear is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what you paid for it and what you think you should get in return.  A good rule of thumb is that new gear will only sell for 30-40% of its retail value once its used and keep going down from there.  If its an older model, 50-60% is more reasonable.  Pro return gear can usually pull in a little bit more.  For example, I recently sold a mint set of XLT's for $650 shipped and 2 Eflex3 sets for around $900 shipped, a Varlamov Pro Return set sold in pieces net me around $1050.  Warrior R/GT Pro sets are going for around $750-$850 right now.  That should give you an idea.  By the way this is USD.

Archived