Which Online Selling Sites Do You Prefer?

Matt

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Okay, I've now sold two items on Sideline swap (chesty and pants).  I just shipped them off today.  I have to say its gone pretty smoothly so far. 

A few things I'd say to keep in mind. 

-Keep track of the dimensions that you listed with the item.  Maybe I'm missing it, but once you agree to a sale you can't access that info, so before you click accept double check what you listed.

-When listing, review the suggested item sizes.  The two of the items I listed had suggested sizes that weren't even close.  Keep in mind that if you list too small and the boxes takes more to ship you as the seller are on the hook for it.

-This related to the above, but I was really surprised  when I dropped my items off that the Post Office did no checks on the box at all.  i.e. my package could have been way bigger or smaller than expected.  No idea if this is normal or not, but it seemed odd to me.  I thought I had one box a bit over and one a bit under.

Anyway, so far so good.  Its an interesting service.  It costs you more $$ to use it, but if you want to unload your gear quicker, it opens up a bigger market.  Still hoping to get some action on the bigger items I have listed...  We'll see though.

Sidelineswap builds a little tolerance in the shipping costs.  Just had this conversation with Nick over there today because I was shipping a set to Russia and didn't want to be on the hook for that if I was off a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, maybe my last post about Sideline, but I figure someone else might read this and help them out at some point.

New things I learned

1. If you are Canadian, you will need a USD funds account to transfer your money into.  It can still be a Canadian bank, but it needs to be a USD account.  Fortunately my bank offers a zero monthly fee account that charges per transaction. 
  2. While Sideline swap does have a max transaction charge of $50USD, the payment processing fee doesn't apply.  i.e. you will pay 3% of your total sale no matter the total.
  3. They handle disputes pretty quickly.  Now my dispute was pretty weak, but I did have a guy dispute sale of the goalie pants we bought.  They didn't fit him and he wanted to send them back.  Sidelineswap addressed the dispute within 24 hours.  Not too bad really.  If you are interested in the resolution, sidelineswap completed the sale.  I would have taken them back if it was a zero charge to me, but they don't do that.
  4. Shipping is easy.  Don't get too stressed out about your box size.  As long as its close, they don't seem to care.  No one ever measures or weighs anything when I do a drop off.
  5. I haven't needed this yet, but take a lot of pictures of the gear before shipping in case there is a dispute.  Also take a picture of the box and such.

Would I recommend the site? 

Yes.

I've sold 3 things so far.  Chest, pants, pads.  I've had zero offers on these items locally during the same window.

But,

If you aren't in a hurry.  Or are selling JR/INT gear, I would go local.  The service fees do add up.  Negotiating can also be a PITA considering that the buyer is factoring the added shipping cost and the seller is factoring in fees.  It is a way bigger marketplace though.

I'm down to two items on the site.  Glove and blocker.  Frankly I would have thought those would go before the pads.  Thats the problem with selling white gear.  It looks way more used up than it really is..

• 2 weeks later...

Just sold my 1S set on Sideline Swap recently, was waiting on the confirmation of funds before I wrote anything up.

Overall I agree with @Matt 's assessment.

Here was my timeline:

Saturday around noon: Posted pictures and listed in USD for the same amount I would have expected in CAD, hoping to maybe get a boost on the exchange if a US buyer came along.

Saturday afternoon: 3 interested parties.  1 looking just for gloves.  1 looking to trade some Eflex2's and $$.  1 didn't reply.

Saturday night: Offer made.

Sunday morning: Accepted offer, printed shipping label and boxed up the set.

Sunday afternoon: Dropped off at post office. No muss, no fuss.

Then it was shipped by Canada Post across the country, so just got confirmed delivered and accepted today.  One thing I wasn't sure about was whether the buyer was offering in USD or CAD though.  It might just be a mobile site issue, but there were certain times it said USD beside the price and then in the offer section it didn't.  I assumed it still was, but was a little curious because the buyer was also Canadian.  In the end it was all USD, so everything was good.  They got a deal on a set, and I got the boost of the USD.

I would definitely list a larger item in good condition on that site again.  Smaller stuff I'll stick to local.

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Which Online Selling Sites Do You Prefer?
  • 3 months later...

I just purchased a pair of skates off of Sideline Swap and for the third purchase in a row they tried to charge an extra $5 on shipping after the offer had been made. They refunded me the money the previous two times and I assume they will do the same this time around. While I was making the swap this time I made sure to take screen shots so I have proof but I just wanted to make everyone on this site aware to check their shipping costs to make sure they aren't just handing over an extra $5 every time they buy something on Sideline Swap.

On 12/12/2018 at 6:17 PM, wox33 said:

I just purchased a pair of skates off of Sideline Swap and for the third purchase in a row they tried to charge an extra $5 on shipping after the offer had been made. They refunded me the money the previous two times and I assume they will do the same this time around. While I was making the swap this time I made sure to take screen shots so I have proof but I just wanted to make everyone on this site aware to check their shipping costs to make sure they aren't just handing over an extra $5 every time they buy something on Sideline Swap.

That's good info to know.  Thanks for sharing.

26 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's good info to know.  Thanks for sharing.

Just an update as they did refund the $5 but it has happened the past three times I've bought. I called them out on it and they swear up and down they aren't doing it on purpose and it's a bug they are trying to fix so I just have to take them at their word. I just know that it's starting to be the main site to find used goalie equipment so just wanted everyone to be aware since it still seems a bit sketchy to me.

2 minutes ago, wox33 said:

Just an update as they did refund the $5 but it has happened the past three times I've bought. I called them out on it and they swear up and down they aren't doing it on purpose and it's a bug they are trying to fix so I just have to take them at their word. I just know that it's starting to be the main site to find used goalie equipment so just wanted everyone to be aware since it still seems a bit sketchy to me.

Seriously.  Imagine how much extra they're making from people who don't even realize its happening to them.

That was kind of my thought as well. $5 a transaction turns out to be a pretty substantial amount of money in a hurry. Like I said idk if it's just happening to me or if it's to everyone but I'd be interested the next time someone buys from there if it happens to them.

Archived