2X Pro

TheGoalNet

On 10/16/2018 at 3:38 PM, mr_shifty1982 said:

Thanks, I'm still in my 11k ? love them and all but I've upgraded my equipment so much that skates are due soon. 

I've heard that  the Vapors would be more for me due to my wide feet and bunion on my right toe. 

I will have to wait and see. 

If you end up going 2S or 2X (not sure if available at S29 or X? senior level), I would definitely recommend spending the extra $100 to get full custom.  Unless your feet are like perfect molds of retail skates, it really helps dial in the fit.  My skates are size 8 7/8 and 9 3/8 with +1 size toe cap and they even added the extra outer wrap to my 1S that became stock on 1X.

Hopefully at that time they will be using their 3D scanning like CCM/TrueVH for an exact fit. 

EDIT: The non-3D scan custom process seems a little cloudy right now, might depend on the retailer you work with and their relationship with Bauer/willingness to go through the process.  But currently the non-scan custom process is retail +$200 (CAD)

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

It's a differentiator. Undoubtedly, the most common ordered color combo for off the shelf sales across the Vapor and Supreme lines is going to be White/White. Vapors and Supremes are going to look identical to the untrained eye in an all white configuration, so the dimpling is another way to differentiate between lines. CCM, Vaughn, and Warrior have knee rolls that do that differentiation for them so they don't have to worry about that. 

Like you said, it adds depth and richness. Like adding wood grain to a car interior. I personally love the flat printed look on Bauers because it gives the impression they've done everything possible to reduce weight. Cut and Sew reminds me too much of the big heavy pads of the past. I wish they'd make it more friendly with actual selectable color zones instead of pre-created combinations. It's hard to match my team colors (Forest Green, Black, Copper) with Bauer's limited selections without going custom printed.

You and me both. I love the printed 

6 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

I think in the Bauer thread there is a comparison, which is mostly just the fit and whether your feet are Supreme or Vapor feet (or neither).  Other than the asymmetrical design of the "shoulders" (or whatever) and tongue, and the size of the outer wrap (Vapor wraps around your foot more than Supreme), the rest of the differences are just minor composite material and configuration of the boot changes.  

Once the 2X skates come out, I'll be looking at upgrading to either 2S, 2X or maybe True/VH.  I got into custom 1S when they came out, but I don't know if my feet are really Vapor or Supreme fit because there was no Vapor to get into at the time.

@mr_shifty1982 - I can’t speak to 2X...

But the main difference is the boot fit. That will always be the case. The Vapor goalie is more accommodating and will fit more feet. This is the opposite for player boots. 

Other general rule: Supreme is assymetical and Vapor has equal ankle heights. 

Notes about line evolution: 1X has upgrades over 1S around comfort, 2S got those upgrades to level the playing field with 2X

2S’s 1 up on 1X is the better quality and taller steel 

21 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

If you end up going 2S or 2X (not sure if available at S29 or X? senior level), I would definitely recommend spending the extra $100 to get full custom.  Unless your feet are like perfect molds of retail skates, it really helps dial in the fit.  My skates are size 8 7/8 and 9 3/8 with +1 size toe cap and they even added the extra outer wrap to my 1S that became stock on 1X.

Hopefully at that time they will be using their 3D scanning like CCM/TrueVH for an exact 

The gentlemen here in my hockey store in Toronto let me know that going custom Bauer's I'm looking at a grand at least if not more. I'm willing to spend but that's rough!

30 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

The gentlemen here in my hockey store in Toronto let me know that going custom Bauer's I'm looking at a grand at least if not more. I'm willing to spend but that's rough!

Maybe the program changed since I did my 1S order, but at the time it was the 799 retail plus 100, so it came to about a grand with taxes, but it was a flat 100 for any custom features. 

If you're already spending the full price retail, it makes sense to go custom is all I meant. 

During my visit to the local shop today, I looked at what I believe to be some 2S demo pads. They were size large and to my surprise they weighed as much as my 36+2 Smith 1000 pads, so I'm not getting where the "super light" thing is coming from O_o 

• 1 month later...
Just now, ThatCarGuy said:

Interesting how the cowling looks taller than say, a Graf skate. The steel also looks really short. Maybe because I have a little taller aftermarket steel on my Grafs. Either way it looks short.

99% sure the holder didn’t change. They will have the taller 5G Steel that debuted on 2S

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the 2x skinned as 2s off of the person above because he resold them again on sideline swap(jayluv54). Someone above said that they only have one internal break but they are definitely broken in on two but could stil just be one internal, hard to tell. I’ll be able to get them on ice on Monday. I can post pics or a “review/opinions” sort of thing if anyone’s interested let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone in one of the Facebook gear selling pages has a full set of what look to be the retail version of the 2X. Has some really good pics of the back of the pads. Looks very similar to the 1X strapping with the ability to remove the knee wing now.

1 hour ago, wox33 said:

Someone in one of the Facebook gear selling pages has a full set of what look to be the retail version of the 2X. Has some really good pics of the back of the pads. Looks very similar to the 1X strapping with the ability to remove the knee wing now.

I saw that. I tried to get a closer look to see if Bauer removed the binding from the inside of the pad to help with durability but I couldn’t tell. That is always an area that concerns me on my 1x’s. Did anyone happen to notice?

3 minutes ago, Deltadre said:

I saw that. I tried to get a closer look to see if Bauer removed the binding from the inside of the pad to help with durability but I couldn’t tell. That is always an area that concerns me on my 1x’s. Did anyone happen to notice?

Looks like it's there from the top of the knee stack up to the jenpro binding at the top. Then from the bottom of the calf wing to the jenpro toe binding. So there is less than before but there is still some.

Archived