2X Pro

TheGoalNet

12 hours ago, #16 said:

But seriously what about people who like, or need, intermediate sized pads but want top of the line pads, or want lower level pads cuz they dont want to pay top dollar. Maybe it's just easier to make less lines of pads?

I understand your point, but don't know the rationale. Brian's or Passau will probably make you whatever you need in your size.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I understand your point, but don't know the rationale. Brian's or Passau will probably make you whatever you need in your size.

Exactly, talk to a company like Passau. I wanted much of what you are asking for, plus a million other little items. Passau went right to work on that and I got incredible pads out of it. 

6 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yes it's not much of a worry as I will probably be ln senior sizes soon, I was just wondering.

On 2/20/2019 at 5:51 PM, TheGoalNet said:

There is no X29 for the gear. There is for skates.

Skates

2X Pro

X29

X27

thats dumb

On 2/20/2019 at 5:59 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Ah yes, the Vaughn style of naming and renaming things.

its so annoying

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Puckstopper said:

$455 for a blocker?!?  Are they high?

Yes it seems insane for the blocker on it's own, but if you compare the cost of a full set to the cost of a full set of 2s gear, it actually comes out $50 cheaper. Basically they reduced the price of the leg pads (the piece of gear you're more likely to purchase stand alone) and slightly increased the price of the gloves as compared to the 2s.

Just now, ThatCarGuy said:

I guess Monster Hockey wasn't gonna make money any other way with all the bad reviews. Have they gotten better yet?

The only way I could see this working is if Bauer licensed the design and is doing the manufacturing. There's absolutely no way Monster is making enough of these in-house for Bauer.

Just now, goalieThreeOne said:

The only way I could see this working is if Bauer licensed the design and is doing the manufacturing. There's absolutely no way Monster is making enough of these in-house for Bauer.

Either way, Monster finally found a way to make money.

4 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

This is the case. I was told by a contact at Bauer this is a licensed design.

That's my favourite customizer right now, as far as the application goes. Still not the options like CCM, the 2S colour zones aren't updated (still limited to the preset combos, they just filter out the other zones based on the first colour you pick), but being able to spin my gear in 3D is a real nice touch. 

20 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

That's my favourite customizer right now, as far as the application goes. Still not the options like CCM, the 2S colour zones aren't updated (still limited to the preset combos, they just filter out the other zones based on the first colour you pick), but being able to spin my gear in 3D is a real nice touch. 

My biggest negative is that the gold isn't available in all zones. But that's sorta  nit pick, but I am sure other people wanting to incorporate gold or silver will have that issue

On 3/8/2019 at 12:47 PM, goalieThreeOne said:

Yes it seems insane for the blocker on it's own, but if you compare the cost of a full set to the cost of a full set of 2s gear, it actually comes out $50 cheaper. Basically they reduced the price of the leg pads (the piece of gear you're more likely to purchase stand alone) and slightly increased the price of the gloves as compared to the 2s.

even at 445$, its still the most expensive blocker on the market

Their gear is hilariously overpriced considering the massive durability flaws and quality flaws they have. I get that theyre doing so much technology with the pads with the cortech skins, the printed on graphics, the 37.5 material, etc. but i feel their pad designs arent really finished. @Hills makes a good point about how he thinks the 1s pads shouldve been prototypes, and how the 1x was a "1s.5" and then the 2s shouldve been what the 1s was.

Its nitpicking to say this. but their pads have little to none in terms of custom options. Their graphics have like 4 color zones, while companies like Brians and CCM are great in these regards, where you have a ton of custom options (unlimited w Brians) and have awesome graphics. They have potential to be great w custom when they release the digitally printed graphics, but its been 3 years since they came out w the 1s where they showed off the printed graphics and still havent released it. Its almost as if theyre doing this on purpose to leave the customers wanting more 

57 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

My biggest negative is that the gold isn't available in all zones. But that's sorta  nit pick, but I am sure other people wanting to incorporate gold or silver will have that issue

Do you think the spears are an overlay/screened onto the pad kind of like the logos (on the 2S at least)? Might be prohibitively expensive or very difficult to get the metallic colour printed on the skin. 

At least we've got a dark based option now

On 3/10/2019 at 9:00 AM, Mroy31 said:

Do you think the spears are an overlay/screened onto the pad kind of like the logos (on the 2S at least)? Might be prohibitively expensive or very difficult to get the metallic colour printed on the skin. 

I think you might be right. I think they are vinyl transfers glued on after the fact underneath the outer protective layer.

On 3/10/2019 at 9:00 AM, Mroy31 said:

I think this is it

I know the gold and silver are a metallic. They didn't perfect the process and that is why it's limited to the smaller areas

On 3/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, Max27 said:

Its nitpicking to say this. but their pads have little to none in terms of custom options. Their graphics have like 4 color zones, while companies like Brians and CCM are great in these regards, where you have a ton of custom options (unlimited w Brians) and have awesome graphics. They have potential to be great w custom when they release the digitally printed graphics, but its been 3 years since they came out w the 1s where they showed off the printed graphics and still havent released it. Its almost as if theyre doing this on purpose to leave the customers wanting more 

@Max27 I don't think it's fair to compare them to Brian's... or to compare any other large brand like CCM to Brian's either. I'd certainly agree that Bauer is at the low end of custom options; color zones and specs. BUT...

Color Zones: I'd say that it's not often that a set takes advantage of ALL available color zones on either Brian's or CCM. I mean hell, one of the most retweeted/reposted EF4 setups was Hart's Stadium Series set and he only used 2... same goes for Elliot. A simple bold design (like the 2X) can be effective. What you can make a case for is Bauer's lack of color options. While it covers probably 95% of team colors out there... it's by no means in the same ball park as Brian's or CCM in terms of options and finishes.

Specs: Brian's is like going to Cheescake Factory... you want pasta, you got it... you want stir-fry, you got it... you want a steak, you got it. I'd argue that there are SO many options w/ Brian's that if you don't know exactly what you're doing... you can end up with something that may not function as well as you anticipated. CCM is more like a fast food menu. Each piece of equipment has things you can adjust... but certainly not everything. For example you can't get Premier II stiffness/rebounds put into an EF4. I think in Bauer's case... for the sake of both economies of scale and for the performance they want you to get out of their equipment it is pretty limited. Although based on the recent customizer Supreme vs. Vapor leg pads really just comes down to strapping & precurve on leg pads... 

image.png.000304d5994e0a8bb54b73cce14f9ef8.png

To get everything you want out of Bauer, you may end up needing to mix lines. Say I like 2X strapping on my leg pads but I want a 75 degree break and maybe a centered palm on blocker... I gotta go 2S. In which case the downside would be a mix of stock graphics. To get the same graphic across all pieces you'd end up having to go the True Design full custom route... and at that point you're putting on whatever you want (and Bauer agrees to) in terms of graphics... at a premium up charge of course. This is the boat I find myself in now... more to come on the process...

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

@Max27 I don't think it's fair to compare them to Brian's... or to compare any other large brand like CCM to Brian's either. I'd certainly agree that Bauer is at the low end of custom options; color zones and specs. BUT...

Color Zones: I'd say that it's not often that a set takes advantage of ALL available color zones on either Brian's or CCM. I mean hell, one of the most retweeted/reposted EF4 setups was Hart's Stadium Series set and he only used 2... same goes for Elliot. A simple bold design (like the 2X) can be effective. What you can make a case for is Bauer's lack of color options. While it covers probably 95% of team colors out there... it's by no means in the same ball park as Brian's or CCM in terms of options and finishes.

Im not comparing them to Brians or CCM in terms of anything but their custom options, You can make the same statement at Warrior and Vaughn, although you can order custom with Vaughn, the upcharges are hilariously expensive

As for the Hart thing, keep in mind, Philly only has 3 colors. Not like you would use any colors but Orange, Black, and White in a Flyers set. Elliots was reposted a lot because nobody besides him and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen used that scheme on the ef4. It was viewed as different because of the fact that everyone in ef4s were primarily using the top colors

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Specs: Brian's is like going to Cheescake Factory... you want pasta, you got it... you want stir-fry, you got it... you want a steak, you got it. I'd argue that there are SO many options w/ Brian's that if you don't know exactly what you're doing... you can end up with something that may not function as well as you anticipated. CCM is more like a fast food menu. Each piece of equipment has things you can adjust... but certainly not everything. For example you can't get Premier II stiffness/rebounds put into an EF4. I think in Bauer's case... for the sake of both economies of scale and for the performance they want you to get out of their equipment it is pretty limited. Although based on the recent customizer Supreme vs. Vapor leg pads really just comes down to strapping & precurve on leg pads...

Brians is almost overkill, youre right. The thing abt if you dont know exactly what youre doing? Not sure. Just because you can customize so much on Brians to the point where its not even close to stock does mean you Have to. I could send Brians a spec sheet of my pads and just ask for a stock FLX core optik pad with an extra hard face and extra soft boot, and it doesnt ruin the pad. While it is a gamble considering you cant really try these specs out before ordering them on the pads, I wouldnt order something custom unless I was 100% sure it would work for me. 

CCM cant do one off pads like Brians, but their customizer has an option for pretty much everything you would want. You cant directly order P2 stiffness but you can order just a single inner break and not break them in on your own. You have 4 options for leg channel width, 3 per pad (Premier has Open, Loose, Tight, EF has Loose, Tight, Super Tight), Bauer has none. You get 5 inch width on Vapor, 6 inch on Supreme.

You can change the strapping 7 different ways if i count right (1/2/3 calf straps, 1/2 knee straps, or full QMS) Bauer has 2, and you cant change it unless youre a pro. You cant get the tunefit straps on a 2s pad, and vice versa. 

4 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

image.png.000304d5994e0a8bb54b73cce14f9ef8.png

To get everything you want out of Bauer, you may end up needing to mix lines. Say I like 2X strapping on my leg pads but I want a 75 degree break and maybe a centered palm on blocker... I gotta go 2S. In which case the downside would be a mix of stock graphics. To get the same graphic across all pieces you'd end up having to go the True Design full custom route... and at that point you're putting on whatever you want (and Bauer agrees to) in terms of graphics... at a premium up charge of course. This is the boat I find myself in now... more to come on the process...

I agree, but that becomes an issue. Their gear is already the most expensive on the market so when youre investing that type of money, you should be able to chose between more things, especially when 3 of the 4 custom options can be done after you buy the pads. What i mean is you can cut out the knee cradle if you order sewn in, you can buy a leather/CRS bootstrap as can you buy all 3 of the toe attachments as aftermarket options

26 minutes ago, Max27 said:

As for the Hart thing, keep in mind, Philly only has 3 colors. Not like you would use any colors but Orange, Black, and White in a Flyers set. Elliots was reposted a lot because nobody besides him and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen used that scheme on the ef4. It was viewed as different because of the fact that everyone in ef4s were primarily using the top colors.

Most teams only have a few colors... my point was that of the 8 color zones (not including the landing area) most guys are treating the EF4 like 2 or 3 at most. Granted using all of them with and going solid color would yield something that looks pretty awful and oddly almost like Transformers...

image.png.3558cfd681ecf1b28b1460f449f171ac.png

37 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Brians is almost overkill, youre right. The thing abt if you dont know exactly what youre doing? Not sure. Just because you can customize so much on Brians to the point where its not even close to stock does mean you Have to. I could send Brians a spec sheet of my pads and just ask for a stock FLX core optik pad with an extra hard face and extra soft boot, and it doesnt ruin the pad. While it is a gamble considering you cant really try these specs out before ordering them on the pads, I wouldnt order something custom unless I was 100% sure it would work for me. 

You're right... and no combination would necessarily ruin a pad by any means. I'm simply saying there isn't necessarily anyone or anything that could stop you from making a pad that doesn't perform the way you want whereas with CCM & Bauer they have it in their mind how they want a pad to perform and they give you options that will allow you to make some changes w/o turning an EF4 to a P2 or a 2S to a 2X. With a Brian's... you could get pretty darn close to taking any one line and having it perform like another.

42 minutes ago, Max27 said:

CCM cant do one off pads like Brians, but their customizer has an option for pretty much everything you would want. You cant directly order P2 stiffness but you can order just a single inner break and not break them in on your own. You have 4 options for leg channel width, 3 per pad (Premier has Open, Loose, Tight, EF has Loose, Tight, Super Tight), Bauer has none. You get 5 inch width on Vapor, 6 inch on Supreme.

You can change the strapping 7 different ways if i count right (1/2/3 calf straps, 1/2 knee straps, or full QMS) Bauer has 2, and you cant change it unless youre a pro. You cant get the tunefit straps on a 2s pad, and vice versa. 

To be clear... changing the internal/external breaks on an EF4 core will never give them the same properties of a P2 core. They are just very different. And yes... CCM is the happy medium. Lots of options yet also tried and true. Great mix of fitments for the traditionalist and the minimalist. Also a reason why having been a Lefevre user myself for a LONG time it is difficult to not just get another set. It's not perfect.. but its the devil I know... and that's a hard thing to steer away from. 

47 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Their (Bauer) gear is already the most expensive on the market so when youre investing that type of money, you should be able to chose between more things, especially when 3 of the 4 custom options can be done after you buy the pads. What i mean is you can cut out the knee cradle if you order sewn in, you can buy a leather/CRS bootstrap as can you buy all 3 of the toe attachments as aftermarket options

I'd disagree on this. They are more expensive but that doesn't mean they need to give you more options. You're buying into their tech and R&D. That is both the reason for the high price and the minimal options. To perform the way it is designed... their feeling is apparently that it has to stay the way they designed it. Yes, 4 of the options are universal and can generally be done on your own, but what you can't do on your own is the core of their system. It is an expensive venture for sure when you get into Bauer let alone mixing lines and custom graphics... so it's not quite in reach for everyone yet... but you have to admit that each product release has yielded improvements in durability and custom options. Baby steps.

16 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Most teams only have a few colors... my point was that of the 8 color zones (not including the landing area) most guys are treating the EF4 like 2 or 3 at most. Granted using all of them with and going solid color would yield something that looks pretty awful and oddly almost like Transformers...

image.png.3558cfd681ecf1b28b1460f449f171ac.png

i know, my point was that you said Harts setup got so many rt but he only used 2 colors, but 2 colors for primary colors was all he had

18 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

You're right... and no combination would necessarily ruin a pad by any means. I'm simply saying there isn't necessarily anyone or anything that could stop you from making a pad that doesn't perform the way you want whereas with CCM & Bauer they have it in their mind how they want a pad to perform and they give you options that will allow you to make some changes w/o turning an EF4 to a P2 or a 2S to a 2X. With a Brian's... you could get pretty darn close to taking any one line and having it perform like another.

Brians absolutley has their way of how they want the pads to perform, but they acknowledge that at the price gear is at, you should have it cater to any thing their gear doesnt speak to you about. Its like how @TheGoalNet has TGN Spec gear, its designed in conjunction with him and brians to build a 1-off, fixing all the things he wasnt satisfied with on his old optiks

23 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

To be clear... changing the internal/external breaks on an EF4 core will never give them the same properties of a P2 core. They are just very different. And yes... CCM is the happy medium. Lots of options yet also tried and true. Great mix of fitments for the traditionalist and the minimalist. Also a reason why having been a Lefevre user myself for a LONG time it is difficult to not just get another set. It's not perfect.. but its the devil I know... and that's a hard thing to steer away from. 

Obviously it wouldnt, but that would be the closest you could get to a p2 core on a eflex. Not sure why someone would want p2 stiffness on an ef pad, just get a p2 pad

26 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I'd disagree on this. They are more expensive but that doesn't mean they need to give you more options. You're buying into their tech and R&D. That is both the reason for the high price and the minimal options. To perform the way it is designed... their feeling is apparently that it has to stay the way they designed it. Yes, 4 of the options are universal and can generally be done on your own, but what you can't do on your own is the core of their system. It is an expensive venture for sure when you get into Bauer let alone mixing lines and custom graphics... so it's not quite in reach for everyone yet... but you have to admit that each product release has yielded improvements in durability and custom options. Baby steps.

It doesnt mean they need to give you more options, but at the price of the pad you should be able to have more to work with. For nearly 2k for leg pads you should be able to do something with them, its basically "heres the pad, take it or leave it. *we'll see you in 6 months when the pad falls apart*"

Their recent pads have been lagging in areas i dont get why they stay behind in knowingly in. They have Nylons on sliding edges of the thigh rise and around the knee. its stupid, they went back to having exposed nylons after leaving it on the nxg line, knowing full well nylon on ice wears out, creates friction, and builds up snow on it. Almost a move going back in time. They leave you knowing theyll fix it, but why? Fix it now. Bauers done so much innovating, Cortech skin, printed graphics, curv composite, etc. and imo they can have the perfect pad if they adress durabilty and allow you more to work with on pads imo

Archived