The Future of Graphics

TheGoalNet

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if I should post this here or start a new thread, but I've been wondering if there's a market for custom graphics (or even just custom colorways, a la CCM or Warrior) on "senior" level gear. From my own perspective, I can't afford to buy a custom set-up (and I'm not a big fan of Padwrap/skinz), but I sure would love to buy say, a Senior set of G3's with custom colorways, or some Bauer S190/170's with custom graphics. Clearly the capabilities are already there, and the lower quality materials or the fact that they're made offshore wouldn't bother this segment of the market I wouldn't think. What do you guys say?

1 hour ago, motowngoalie said:

Not sure if I should post this here or start a new thread, but I've been wondering if there's a market for custom graphics (or even just custom colorways, a la CCM or Warrior) on "senior" level gear. From my own perspective, I can't afford to buy a custom set-up (and I'm not a big fan of Padwrap/skinz), but I sure would love to buy say, a Senior set of G3's with custom colorways, or some Bauer S190/170's with custom graphics. Clearly the capabilities are already there, and the lower quality materials or the fact that they're made offshore wouldn't bother this segment of the market I wouldn't think. What do you guys say?

Seems like a good place for this question.

This is no different than the personalised Converse shoe; pick the options from menu and for an upcharge and a wait- you have your stuff. It all depends on whether or not the manufacturer in question would do it that way.

On 6/19/2017 at 0:09 PM, motowngoalie said:

Vaughn offers this in their "Series 7" gear 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/31/2017 at 2:39 PM, MTH said:

Those camo pads - not that I can see them - are badass.

Hank's designs look so much better with the bolder blue and reds used. Wow.

Yup, I agree 

last year, anyone that was turned off by the 1S colors was a bit short sighted. I get it might not have not been a great stock graphic, but it literally a baby step. The flood gates will open soon!

I'm torn on this. On one hand, you can get some pretty amazing stuff that even Brian's is probably not going to be able to do. But on the other hand, take one look at roller hockey jerseys and you'll see why being able to print literally anything isn't always a good thing. It wont be long before you see god awful flame and camo patterned pads. Not that people haven't managed to come up with awful traditional graphics in the past either... 

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm torn on this. On one hand, you can get some pretty amazing stuff that even Brian's is probably not going to be able to do. But on the other hand, take one look at roller hockey jerseys and you'll see why being able to print literally anything isn't always a good thing. It wont be long before you see god awful flame and camo patterned pads. Not that people haven't managed to come up with awful traditional graphics in the past either... 

It's coming. Look at the early 90s masks compared to today. Unless the NHL puts a stop to it, people are going to get some stupid stuff. Beer Leaguers and Bantams will probably be the worst offenders. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

@IPv6Freely - Here’s one to restore your confidence. This is the best printed graphic to date. 

The subtle gold maple leafs are phenomenal 

04F682C6-1E1E-4E35-BC8A-A2B33E72ED84.jpeg

Haha I love that you knew exactly what I was talking about :) 

45 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

How long until someone tries out a graphic with some kind of distracting optical illusion? 

image.png.a270825293a01e9fa0aedeca060951b3.png

image.thumb.png.59959b283b2e4240759a1d89453478ac.png

8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Here’s an example of @Scott Battram using the technology 

This is a set that legit isn’t possible with cut and sew 

3A57E7B9-FE25-46A0-86E4-D7D502AF76ED.jpeg

I was going to post something about these...

I work as a professional illustrator and designer.

This is just brutal copyright infringement. Taking the work of an illustrator, and making it look worse by stretching it to fit the pad...ugh. Copying the main graphic of a major company was one thing, but blatantly ripping off the work of an illustrator is just gross.

There's no defense of this. Saying "it's what the customer asked for" isn't an excuse for terrible business ethics.

I'm most certainly going to track down the original artist and notify them.

Archived