CCM "Blank Mystery" Senior Goalie Stick

MTH

Grabbed one of these during the GM 'Black friday in July' sale for $39.99.

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/sticks/sr-goalie-sticks/ccm-goalie-stick-blank-mystery-sr.html

Here are the details

Details

Direct from the factory, we have sticks for your style! CCM Blank “Mystery” sticks include 3 distinct colorways and multiple specs to get a stick in your hands and get you out on the ice.

White/White:

• Sticks are painted with a White paddle and White shaft
  • Paddle constructions underneath of the White paint may vary
  • Curves, shaft lengths and all paddle grips may vary
  • Sticks are sized to match retail CCM Models
  • Regular or Full Right

White/Clear:

• Sticks are painted with a White paddle and clear coated natural shaft
  • Paddle constructions underneath of the White paint may vary
  • Shaft constructions may vary
  • Regular or Full Right

Clear/Clear:

• Sticks will only have a clear coated paddle and clear coated natural shaft
  • Different Paddle constructions are visible
  • Shaft constructions may vary
  • Regular or Full Right
  • Sticks will only be sold by paddle height, handedness and color
  • Customers cannot choose construction of the paddle, blade or shaft
  • Customers cannot choose curves

Sticks may have cosmetic flaws; these cosmetic blemishes will not affect the structural integrity or performance of the stick.

Return or exchange requests for sticks with cosmetic blemishes, construction or curve will not be approved.

So you pick what size and what colorway you'd like then you sit back and see what the UPS driver drops off in a few days.

I ordered at 26" clear/clear (wanted to see what the stick may be rather than a whitewashed stick).

Few days later, this arrived:

IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0852.JPG

So the stick is really nice. Great curve, better than any CCM one I've seen in stores. I assume it's custom stick that is a blem.

Little later I confirm why it's a blem as I notice that the bottom side of the paddle appears to be shaved off a bit. You can see the three layers (fiberglass/foam/fiberglass) along the whole edge. When I hold it up to another stick, you can see the almost 1/2" missing from the bottom of the paddle. The top edge is fine.

Being 41, I can notice it when holding it in my hand as I always put my index finer onto the paddle edge.

I'm bummed. Fear it's a turd stick. So I check GM return policies. Not only would I have to eat the shipping cost back (see that large box?) but the stick is a special deal where basically you can't return it no matter what. Basically - go kick rocks.

Here's the stick:

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

So I played in a pickup game Saturday. I had the chance to use the new stick. I don't expect it to last long with the open edge like that.

I played for about 2 hours with it and man, it's a nice stick! It's too bad that it lacks any markings as I'd buy this stick a hundred times over again. It's a foam core, but it's pretty light and extremely stiff - which I like. I was able to play the puck pretty well with it and it deflected shots with ease. The blade has a mid curve and is thinner than most of my other sticks. I'm curious how it too holds up to shots.

I don't know when I'm playing next as the fall season for my starts in September. With the youth programs all doing pre-season camps around here, ice time is pretty tight.

I'll post more. I'll put it on the scale and see what it weighs too.

Not using it to flick dog poop yet.. ha ha

14 hours ago, MTH said:

So I played in a pickup game Saturday. I had the chance to use the new stick. I don't expect it to last long with the open edge like that.

I played for about 2 hours with it and man, it's a nice stick! It's too bad that it lacks any markings as I'd buy this stick a hundred times over again. It's a foam core, but it's pretty light and extremely stiff - which I like. I was able to play the puck pretty well with it and it deflected shots with ease. The blade has a mid curve and is thinner than most of my other sticks. I'm curious how it too holds up to shots.

I don't know when I'm playing next as the fall season for my starts in September. With the youth programs all doing pre-season camps around here, ice time is pretty tight.

I'll post more. I'll put it on the scale and see what it weighs too. 

Not using it to flick dog poop yet.. ha ha

Hard to tell with one pic, but that curve looks like a Fleury/Mrazek to me.

Thanks for posting about this, @MTH. I was really pleased with my CCM E-Flex (a 25" Crawford), and I was pretty tempted to order one of these to have as a backup (I can't help but be a little cheap with sticks, and the $150 I paid for my current E-Flex is not something I want to drop every time). I was a little apprehensive about the curve, and even more so about the quality... to me, the fact that the sticks lacked labels/branding didn't really explain the low price point, so I suspected they might be defective. In your case, it seems like they are. I don't think you wasted your $39.99, but they're not on sale now, and I don't think I'm inclined to take a chance. Good review!

Years ago I was in Toronto for a hockey tournament. Stopped by Duke's. They had a wall full of black with white logo Sher-Wood foam cores (composite goalie sticks weren't out yet really). They were super cheap. Not to mention CAD vs USD was like 30% discount for me. So I bought 6 of them then for maybe $100 CAD.

Those lasted me forever. Their story was that they were all the pro stock sticks just painted all black and dumped for quick sale.

I presumed these CCM ones were similar in disposal.

I got really pumped up seeing this deal. I had no issue with the blank graphic and lack of branding, as I've been looking for something super neutral anyways.

When I realized I couldn't select the curve I wanted, or any spec other than colour and paddle HEIGHT... I was pretty quickly turned off of these, as I'm not looking for a spare, but a pile of new twigs. 

Sorry yours didn't turn out great, I'm sure some folks have gotten lucky, but this deal sorta stinks!

• 1 month later...

Few things - went to Monkey sports outside Boston over a week ago. They had a few there for $39.99. Nothing good IMO. So I bought none. They had a bunch of pads half off that I thought about buying. 

My stick that is pictured above has about 8 skates in it. So the neck at the top of the paddle is de-laminating. I actually cut my hand when a nice fiberglass strip splinter went in. Looks like a 1/2" paper cut now. Did it taking my stick out of my Jeep. The fiberglass shell is pulling off the foam. Guess that what happens when one whole side was shaved off.

Stick is still super stiff. I do have to say it's great for that. I missed this using an old beat up composite stick.

theyre selling these as buy one get one free on goaliemonkey now, 

not sure how goaliemonkey can sell these sticks with cosmetic flaws & blemishes, no real customization, no returning them, you cant choose the construction, they basically choose a random stick out and expect people to pay 75$ for it lol

3 hours ago, MTH said:

How? They already sell them in the store. So why not? It's a gamble but if you can't get to a store...

It's not like they make you buy one.

if you go to store its fine, but its gambling on a non returnable stick that you really cant choose any specs on 

• 2 months later...

Just a follow up. Stick is still going strong. I only use it for ice. I've been playing 2x week anymore.

Only issue is the shaved edge at the top where I grip - the fiberglass/black strips are starting to peel a little. Keep forgetting to re-epoxy them on and clamp it overnight. 

I'll add some pictures. I'm looking for a new one like this again. I see CCM pro models popping up here and there that look like this stick.

• 1 year later...

Follow up.

I still use this stick. I added some epoxy where it was peeling a little. I play twice a week (not as much in summer). So it's taken some abuse.

I see new e-flex foam core sticks around and I keep thinking of buying a new one. The wrap on the blade is really what makes this stick last. 

You can see the wrap in this stock picture. I see pro stock sticks all the time with the noticeable wrap under the paint. It works.

2017-Goal-Eflex3-stick-0140.jpg?45308156

The black strands that run up the paddle and also on the shaft act like stiffeners for the stick. So it hasn't yet become too flexy. I have had several other foam core and wood sticks that get 'soft' when trying to play the puck. This CCM design has held up well.

NEW-CCM-Extreme-Flex-III-Senior-Goalie-S

I've seen retail models in the $150-$200 range. Seen pro stock on eBay for about $100. The pro shop at my rink had a 50% off all wood sticks (kids laugh at them) for Black Friday. But they didn't have one of these in my size.

Hope this helps.

Archived