In Goal Mag: NHL Prepared For Feedback As Goalies Get Smaller Chest Protectors

SaveByRichter35

The new NHL chest protector rules were back in the spotlight when former New Jersey Devils goalie Ken Appleby was forced to leave the ice during a training session after being stung by a high shot he didn’t think he would have felt in his old unit. In addition to sitting down with Appleby to discuss his experiences in the new chest protector, InGoal Magazine has since confirmed the specific sizing changes and rules, the rigorous process that led to them, new technology that will be used to measure the new units, which companies have been approved, including a couple that weren’t in the NHL last season, and what’s next for goalies and the League.

More to read in the link
https://ingoalmag.com/gear/nhl-prepared-for-feedback-as-goalies-get-new-smaller-chest-protectors/

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jayluv54 said:

Why is that different than having a practice glove?

Current C/A's don't need a practice variant. Why would a reduction in size need to be supplemented with a practice version?

Glove makes sense, you're giving up protection for feel and some C/A's are already in the same fashion. My R/GT is going to be more mobile than a Brown unit at the cost of protection.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Current C/A's don't need a practice variant. Why would a reduction in size need to be supplemented with a practice version?

Glove makes sense, you're giving up protection for feel and some C/A's are already in the same fashion. My R/GT is going to be more mobile than a Brown unit at the cost of protection.

I'm assuming they meant additional thickness, as in the shoulder floaters and arm areas.  It was my understanding that some guys did this already...???

I love all the technology they used to get to this.  On one hand its cool they're putting this much work into it.  On the other its kind of pathetic that they're spending all this money to make a fucking chest pad smaller haha.  I'm gonna contact Brown to see how much his stuff changed, maybe I'll buy some reduced sized floaters to swap to.

25 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I'm assuming they meant additional thickness, as in the shoulder floaters and arm areas.  It was my understanding that some guys did this already...???

Pretty sure they got their units built like that and had to be approved by the KW.

Don't think guys ever needed to switch out units for practice/games.

31 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

On the other its kind of pathetic that they're spending all this money to make a fucking chest pad smaller haha.  

They spent more time on this shit than actual important stuff. Like making better concussion protocols, and actually upholding them. Corey Crawford is still messed up from his "upper body injury".

36 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

They spent more time on this shit than actual important stuff. Like making better concussion protocols, and actually upholding them. Corey Crawford is still messed up from his "upper body injury".

I  don't think it was an either-or thing. I'm sure they spent plenty of time on both. 

I'm kind of split on this issue of smaller CA's. On the one hand, it's good to get away from the Garth Snow days of mega-huge and flat out "cheating" CA's. But on the other hand, I think the CA regs we have now are generally OK and not any problem. Making CA's smaller is admittedly a cheap attempt to increase scoring, which they think will make the game more interesting and bring more fans, revenue, etc. which is the wrong way of thinking, IMHO. The game is pretty exciting as it is, and watching a goalie make a great save is just as exciting as watching someone score (or even more exciting, from my POV ;) )

I think it's good that they are taking feedback from the goalies seriously, and go about it scientifically as well, but I think it's really unnecessary and a waste of time, money, etc.. But whatever, I don't think I'll be wearing any of the new CA's anytime soon...

12 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

If they could create a thicker practice C/A that doesn't make it bigger (thereby giving the goalie a false sense of their positioning), then why not make that the official model? 

That was my mindset as well. Shouldn't the base units be protective enough for practice?

51 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

because they don't close well.

I get that's an acceptable trade off for a practice glove, but a practice glove doesn't have a larger circumference than a game glove.

Would the practice C/A not let you bend your arms?  I can't think of an acceptable trade off in mobility with a practice C/A

25 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Here's some pics for thought, probably the only person we can say we've seen in gear for over 3 decades.

image.png.685bc391b488bcd2601ce1096c0b82dd.pngimage.png.70f71411f0d59cecab2171d1fa23eebd.pngimage.png.317e4e26e7e35beb16a7f9497d158dd7.pngimage.png.3361ef78408c6ec9776837348a3701c1.pngimage.png.3fe39086a5061901f0673729c5a9c7e8.pngimage.png.1c6460e25eb92b41e5dff729727a1114.png

image.png.d7a2621fc239c886a4fa286176b5d8f1.pngimage.png.aeea9dd634bc72254ad03f9c8d361995.png

Pretty sure he's in a Velocity for the alumni game

is he using varlamovs old leg pads in the last pic?

Archived