In Goal Mag: NHL Prepared For Feedback As Goalies Get Smaller Chest Protectors

SaveByRichter35

This is like what they did when they shrunk the pads. Goalies are only gonna keep having higher numbers. theyre shooting themselves in the foot doing this by shrinking gear to increase scoring. Its like theyre trying to find the solution to a problem that isnt even there.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I think Bettman, who should NOT be in the Hall of Fame, HATES goalies and wants them utterly AFRAID of the puck, which will increase scoring.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Bettman. Also I'm 100% in favour of streamlined goalie gear as long as protection is not sacrificed. 

2 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I love when everyone gets excited when an alumni game comes up and everyone expects the goalie to be wearing his gear from his playing days. Then he shows up in modern gear head to toe. They’re not stupid. Even the guys who wear their old pads tend to update their C/As. 

image.thumb.png.83e0314d4e06e9f41b11ca5c5930667b.png

I agree with IPV6. I'm pretty happy they're shrinking them. Whether modern chest protectors are way too large is a matter of opinion, but I think most of us would agree there are at least a couple parts  that are unnecessarily bulky, and could be tapered down a bit. Shoulder floaters for sure. And I've never really understood why the arms have to be so wide. And personally, I always found huge chest pads to be aesthetically unappealing.

Will it make a big difference? Probably not. And I don't think we'll see goalies getting hurt, either. Itt add some more integrity to the position, even if the difference is purely theoretical.

On 8/13/2018 at 2:54 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Pretty sure they got their units built like that and had to be approved by the KW.

Don't think guys ever needed to switch out units for practice/games.

Well I've seen gloves, masks, and pads specifically designated for practice, so I just assumed maybe a beefed up chesty that has a little less feel or mobility to it might be common.  Again, just assuming that's what they meant.

22 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I agree with IPV6. I'm pretty happy they're shrinking them. Whether modern chest protectors are way too large is a matter of opinion, but I think most of us would agree there are at least a couple parts  that are unnecessarily bulky, and could be tapered down a bit. Shoulder floaters for sure. And I've never really understood why the arms have to be so wide. And personally, I always found huge chest pads to be aesthetically unappealing.

Will it make a big difference? Probably not. And I don't think we'll see goalies getting hurt, either. Itt add some more integrity to the position, even if the difference is purely theoretical.

7 foot goalies might not be the standard anymore either.

23 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

@IPv6Freely But Bettman is the PERFECT villain! He even looks like Boris Badenov.

So yes- Boris, er, um Gary HATES goalies and wants to hurt them...

627FF04F-83B3-4018-AAB1-D2F078613508.png

C1B6AD77-ED2A-4A0D-BD53-A045F6BA8E89.jpeg

lol youre just being silly at this point

27 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

If anything the goalies will likely get better. Less bulk with equal protection? Win! 

But again... that's a big IF and will require some technology to be used... 

I wonder if we'll ever see the day of shrinking the puck and enlarging the net... Maybe even making the rinks European sized or making it 4-on-4. Why not go even further and have a shootout at the end of each period, or a penalty shot for every penalty? I mean come on, games aren't even watchable unless the score is at least 6-5 and third liners are scoring 40 goals a season.

17 minutes ago, TitanG said:

I wonder if we'll ever see the day of shrinking the puck and enlarging the net... Maybe even making the rinks European sized or making it 4-on-4. Why not go even further and have a shootout at the end of each period, or a penalty shot for every penalty? I mean come on, games aren't even watchable unless the score is at least 6-5 and third liners are scoring 40 goals a season.

I dunno man, that "slippery slope" logic makes about as much sense as saying smoking pot will lead to heroin use, or when people argued that legalizing gay marriage would lead to people marrying their dogs.

Shrinking chest protectors is hardly step one towards smaller pucks and shootout at the end of periods. If anything, shrinking gear keeps crazy ideas like that at bay. If goalies were to insist that there's no wiggle room on gear size and resist a modicum of reasonable, that gives people an opening to bring up stupid alternatives like larger nets. I fail to see how tapering off chest protectors is unreasonable.

4 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I dunno man, that "slippery slope" logic makes about as much sense as saying smoking pot will lead to heroin use, or when people argued that legalizing gay marriage would lead to people marrying their dogs.

Shrinking chest protectors is hardly step one towards smaller pucks and shootout at the end of periods. If anything, shrinking gear keeps crazy ideas like that at bay. If goalies were to insist that there's no wiggle room on gear size and resist a modicum of reasonable, that gives people an opening to bring up stupid alternatives like larger nets. I fail to see how tapering off chest protectors is unreasonable.

All I was meaning is that the whole reason scoring is low is not because goalies have bigger equipment (mind you smaller pads and gloves than in the 90's), but because defensive systems and goaltending coaching and athleticism have improved. Good goaltending is not a bug, rather it is a feature, if you ask me. But then again not everybody enjoys it, and I do understand that the league is just trying to attract more viewers (typically American) by increasing scoring. The problem is even when scoring was high, how popular was hockey? Will it ever be as high scoring as the NFL or NBA? Does any of this really matter?

Anyways, back to C/A's...

7 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Some people are so obsessed with their dogs that they WOULD marry them if they could. There is a senator or something from Alabama who said he doesn’t care if someone wanted to marry their mule, after all...

10 hours ago, TitanG said:

All I was meaning is that the whole reason scoring is low is not because goalies have bigger equipment (mind you smaller pads and gloves than in the 90's), but because defensive systems and goaltending coaching and athleticism have improved. Good goaltending is not a bug, rather it is a feature, if you ask me. But then again not everybody enjoys it, and I do understand that the league is just trying to attract more viewers (typically American) by increasing scoring. The problem is even when scoring was high, how popular was hockey? Will it ever be as high scoring as the NFL or NBA? Does any of this really matter?

Anyways, back to C/A's...

I don't disagree with any of this, and you touched on one of the main reasons that I'm not concerned with the shrinking of chest protectors: I believe scoring is down due to superior goaltending, and not because of big equipment. I just don't think this C/A adjustment is going to lead to anything drastic, one way or the other. People were losing their minds a few years ago when they said they were going to cut down on how large pads can be, and it ended up not making a difference one way or the other: goalies weren't getting hurt due to shorter pads, and I'm pretty sure scoring didn't increase by a noticeable margin. And I don't think they'll be circling back around to shrink pads again anytime soon — they just want to make sure they're doing their due diligence to make sure there's nothing superfluous chipping away at scoring. 

17 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So I've got a question for everyone:

- Now that the C/A's have been trimmed, do you believe there is an area of goaltending equipment that could use any further tweaking?

We've tackled leg pad width, length above the knee (x2), blocker and glove size, pants and now C/A's.

Make helmets less protective so that scoring increases?

13 hours ago, stackem30 said:

I knew a guy who used to wear normal sized gear. Then one day he started wearing XL pants, and then getting into Garth Snow CA's... not long after that he was shooting heroin and banging his dog. So that slippery slope is very real my friend, and I think it's kinda good that the NHL deals with the CA sizes right now before things start getting out of control.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So I've got a question for everyone:

- Now that the C/A's have been trimmed, do you believe there is an area of goaltending equipment that could use any further tweaking?

We've tackled leg pad width, length above the knee (x2), blocker and glove size, pants and now C/A's.

Like personalized 3D scanned jocks?  Come on down to your LHS and whip it out on the scanner!  No more oversized jocks stopping those squeakers through the five-hole

Seriously though, maybe the glove shape gets updated again at some point?  I'm not in the camp that calls the current cuff of the glove a "cheater" but maybe that get's a reduction?

I can see the argument that rounding off square edges on arms and pads may let a few more goals trickle in here and there, but then I think that players shouldn't be allowed to use different flex points in their sticks for example (not really an equal comparison, but whatever).  If a skater can customize their stick to handle and shoot the puck exceptionally well within the rules of stick length and blade curve, then goalies should be allowed to use whatever shape of equipment they feel is best within the size regulations.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I mean, they've already tackled the C/A size before. Size hasn't increased at all for years.

I was joking. I think the sizes right now are fine. They're just being stupid now.

...oh, and about the pics of the old school Goalies from the 80's...keep in mind there were no carbon flex sticks back then,, shooters weren't ripping them like with today's sticks. Goalies aren't going back to felt CA's, it's a different game today.

This might surprise a few but, I can see them looking at blade height in retrospect of taller goalies and better attack angles. Look at the stance you had 5-10 years ago versus now with the new skates/blades. Huge difference in space occupency and movement ability.

Archived