In Goal Mag: NHL Prepared For Feedback As Goalies Get Smaller Chest Protectors

SaveByRichter35

13 minutes ago, RichMan said:

This might surprise a few but, I can see them looking at blade height in retrospect of taller goalies and better attack angles. Look at the stance you had 5-10 years ago versus now with the new skates/blades. Huge difference in space occupency and movement ability.

They kind of do this already don't they? Step steel and overdrive blades are illegal.

Or are you referring to the holders?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, RichMan said:

This might surprise a few but, I can see them looking at blade height in retrospect of taller goalies and better attack angles. Look at the stance you had 5-10 years ago versus now with the new skates/blades. Huge difference in space occupency and movement ability.

You had better believe they may end up looking at the holder height, if they have not already. 

12 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Think about it...they banned overdrive blades, companies came out with step steel. they banned the step steel, companies came out with cowlingless.

Friggin NHL's gonna have us play in Microns again or something stupid like that ?

Yes- I smell it from a mile away.

Meanwhile, I am testing a new coating for Overdrives. The Overdrive business for me is VERY alive and well!!!!

19 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

All Step Steel is banned in NHL and IIHF? Or just blades above some certain heights? I never heard about that. Does anyone have a link or more credible info?

it wasnt banned, it wasn't approved at the nhl front office first before being used.  danny taylor https://ingoalmag.com/news/danny-taylor-back-in-nhl-but-step-steel-cant-come-with-him/

4 hours ago, DL42 said:

it wasnt banned, it wasn't approved at the nhl front office first before being used.  danny taylor https://ingoalmag.com/news/danny-taylor-back-in-nhl-but-step-steel-cant-come-with-him/

This was 2013. And the reason for it not being allowed was that it was "never submitted to the NHL for approval". Now it's 2018, I guess they submitted it by now? So they must have said a clear yes or no by now?

Yea, kinda rediculous anyway, I mean they are just making the cowlings taller now, more-or-less the same thing...

48 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

This was 2013. And the reason for it not being allowed was that it was "never submitted to the NHL for approval". Now it's 2018, I guess they submitted it by now? So they must have said a clear yes or no by now?

Yea, kinda rediculous anyway, I mean they are just making the cowlings taller now, more-or-less the same thing...

Again- I think this is where they go next is on the skates. Yes- they have already gone there, but they did with pads, gloves, chesties and went there again. 

It only makes sense from where they are trying to increase scoring from the back of the goalies’ equipment. 

On 8/15/2018 at 6:32 PM, Max27 said:

This is like what they did when they shrunk the pads. Goalies are only gonna keep having higher numbers. theyre shooting themselves in the foot doing this by shrinking gear to increase scoring. Its like theyre trying to find the solution to a problem that isnt even there.

They're trying to doing everything they can to avoid making the nets bigger

On 8/15/2018 at 10:46 PM, stackem30 said:

I dunno man, that "slippery slope" logic makes about as much sense as saying smoking pot will lead to heroin use, or when people argued that legalizing gay marriage would lead to people marrying their dogs.

Shrinking chest protectors is hardly step one towards smaller pucks and shootout at the end of periods. If anything, shrinking gear keeps crazy ideas like that at bay. If goalies were to insist that there's no wiggle room on gear size and resist a modicum of reasonable, that gives people an opening to bring up stupid alternatives like larger nets. I fail to see how tapering off chest protectors is unreasonable.

The initial response to the movement to increase scoring in the NHL was to increase the size of the nets.  Instead, they decided they would try shrinking the goalies first.  I for one and maybe I'm a little biased here, think that great goal tending is as or more exciting to watch then a high scoring game. 

The games I can't stand to watch are the ones where most of the play is back and forth in the neutral zone or every other shot gets blocked.  My preference if something had to be done would be to eliminate off sides.  Unrestricted entrance into the zone but the lines still exists to keep possession in the zone.  Or do something else like not capping the man advantage at 2 or making majors an automatic 5 on 3.  Nothing too gimmicky, but a way to open the ice up a bit offensively.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:55 PM, TitanG said:

All I was meaning is that the whole reason scoring is low is not because goalies have bigger equipment (mind you smaller pads and gloves than in the 90's), but because defensive systems and goaltending coaching and athleticism have improved. Good goaltending is not a bug, rather it is a feature, if you ask me. But then again not everybody enjoys it, and I do understand that the league is just trying to attract more viewers (typically American) by increasing scoring. The problem is even when scoring was high, how popular was hockey? Will it ever be as high scoring as the NFL or NBA? Does any of this really matter?

Anyways, back to C/A's...

Both the NBA and NFL have altered their rules a lot over the last 10-20 years to make their sports more fast paced and high scoring.  They didn't make the hoop bigger, just made it harder to defend it.  

On 8/15/2018 at 10:21 PM, TitanG said:

I wonder if we'll ever see the day of shrinking the puck and enlarging the net... Maybe even making the rinks European sized or making it 4-on-4. Why not go even further and have a shootout at the end of each period, or a penalty shot for every penalty? I mean come on, games aren't even watchable unless the score is at least 6-5 and third liners are scoring 40 goals a season.

This is a little over the top if you ask me.

On 8/16/2018 at 10:21 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

So I've got a question for everyone:

- Now that the C/A's have been trimmed, do you believe there is an area of goaltending equipment that could use any further tweaking?

We've tackled leg pad width, length above the knee (x2), blocker and glove size, pants and now C/A's.

If anything is done again I think it will either be another inch off pad width or downsizing glove/blocker again.  Though I think all are fine as is, all three cases have plenty to lose.  

On 8/16/2018 at 4:33 PM, RichMan said:

Nah, I don't see them going after skates/steel.

16 hours ago, estogoalie said:

All Step Steel is banned in NHL and IIHF? Or just blades above some certain heights? I never heard about that. Does anyone have a link or more credible info?

Only the extremes are banned.  Regular Step is fine.

3 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

If anything is done again I think it will either be another inch off pad width or downsizing glove/blocker again.  Though I think all are fine as is, all three cases have plenty to lose.  

Nah, I don't see them going after skates/steel.

Only the extremes are banned.  Regular Step is fine.

Heard a rumor glove cuffs are going down another 2"

I've always been curious why the wide paddle/blade of the goalie stick is rarely focused on by the hordes looking to trim equipment down. It's one of the few pieces of equipment that has no real element of protection that might deter any inclinations to cut it down. It's size and shape is only there to give goalies an advantage in stopping pucks. 

So why (outside of Corey Hircsh) has there not been much call to trim down paddle and blade size? Seems like a no brainer if your intention is to make goalie's jobs more difficult without sacrificing protection. 

6 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

Seen the artical on Ingoal and they are even watching padded base layer shirts too. If they get too extreme the NHL is going to limit brand and use to approve ones only. 

I found that interesting as well. 

Here's a link to that article:

https://ingoalmag.com/gear/exclusive-carey-price-gives-first-look-at-ccm-nhl-spec-chest-protector/

Plus it gives us a nice look at the new Premier unit. Maybe some guys will switch over to CCM now that it's been regulated + remains the biggest unit out there?

2 hours ago, creasecollector said:

I found that interesting as well. 

Here's a link to that article:

https://ingoalmag.com/gear/exclusive-carey-price-gives-first-look-at-ccm-nhl-spec-chest-protector/

Plus it gives us a nice look at the new Premier unit. Maybe some guys will switch over to CCM now that it's been regulated + remains the biggest unit out there?

I think Price said it very well "I know what they are trying to accomplish, I just don’t know if it’s happening. It’s such a small difference, I don’t know if you are getting the result you really want. It’s kind of hard to explain."

Basically, he's saying what we are saying as well, that it's getting kind of stupid, they (Kay Whitmore) is trying very hard to trim the CA's, but there isn't much left to trim, and are now venturing into the area where protection is sacrificed. And there really should be no talk of practice and game CA's. If it's not protective enough for practice, you shouldn't be going into a game with it. Everyone should be playing and training with the same gear. Trimming the CA's is an exercise in futility.

2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

I think Price said it very well "I know what they are trying to accomplish, I just don’t know if it’s happening. It’s such a small difference, I don’t know if you are getting the result you really want. It’s kind of hard to explain."

Basically, he's saying what we are saying as well, that it's getting kind of stupid, they (Kay Whitmore) is trying very hard to trim the CA's, but there isn't much left to trim, and are now venturing into the area where protection is sacrificed. And there really should be no talk of practice and game CA's. If it's not protective enough for practice, you shouldn't be going into a game with it. Everyone should be playing and training with the same gear. Trimming the CA's is an exercise in futility.

Which brings me to how I feel about Bettman: he hates goalies and wants to hurt them and have them afraid of the puck to increase scoring, PERIOD.

Archived