CCM Pro C/A vs CCM Premier Pro C/A

HP29

Hi folks, looking at getting a beefier chestie (upgrading from Bauer Elite), without losing mobility.

I don't want to look and move like a Transformer, but I feel I could stand to occupy a little more space between the pipes.

My understanding is that the 2017 CCM Premier Pro provides ample coverage, but is quite mobile.

Aside from D30 and some other advancements, are these units WAY different? Or is the older CCM Pro going to have a similar fit and feel (i.e. comparable mobility)?
I don't have much option to really try either IRL - just to order, hope for the best, and then return if I hate it. So looking to avoid as much hassle as possible.

Photos for reference, thanks!

CCM Pro (black/red) older

CCM Premier Pro (black/yellow) newer

ccm_2013_pro_chest_7c6b7805-3011-4549-a46d-5d3a02abca31_1024x1024.jpg

ccm_2017_premier_chest_protector_full_1024x1024.jpg

They are both big chesties, and I don't think they are way different at all. Just a natural progression of an older model. I was in the same boat late last year and was split between the same two C/A's. I was coming from an old Premier 2 C/A.

I ended up going with the CCM AB Pro because it's essentially the same as the old P1's, and I was able to save more money buying the older version. 

Once I broke it in, I loved this C/A. Feels great on me now. 

4 hours ago, creasecollector said:

They are both big chesties, and I don't think they are way different at all. Just a natural progression of an older model. I was in the same boat late last year and was split between the same two C/A's. I was coming from an old Premier 2 C/A.

I ended up going with the CCM AB Pro because it's essentially the same as the old P1's, and I was able to save more money buying the older version. 

Once I broke it in, I loved this C/A. Feels great on me now. 

You ever try any other brands? Just asking for sizing, as I'm coming from a Bauer large, wondering if you found sizing to be equal to other brands you've tried. Thanks!

I think it’s possible you might be giving up something like 10% size?

But what level of hockey are you playing? I think that if you were just playing men’s league, it will be beyond adequate

The classic style premier chest protector has been one of the gold standards in the NHL since the Koho 590.

You absolutely can’t go wrong with it 

If you need other thoughts...

maybe google image Luo and Price? Luo wears the old style one 

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I think it’s possible you might be giving up something like 10% size?

But what level of hockey are you playing? I think that if you were just playing men’s league, it will be beyond adequate

The classic style premier chest protector has been one of the gold standards in the NHL since the Koho 590.

You absolutely can’t go wrong with it 

If you need other thoughts...

maybe google image Luo and Price? Luo wears the old style one 

Apples to apples comparison might be Price when he was in Vaughn or Reebok branded gear (Reebok/CCM P1) vs Price now (CCM Premier)

Per InGoal mag, the original P1 was the form factor the league wanted when going to the streamlined chest units.

On 8/15/2018 at 5:29 PM, HP29 said:

You ever try any other brands? Just asking for sizing, as I'm coming from a Bauer large, wondering if you found sizing to be equal to other brands you've tried. Thanks! 

Sizing felt the same to me.  I tried on a Large Bauer 2S this weekend and it felt about the same as a large P1/CCM Premier

I've had both and would recommend the Premier Pro chesty. It's a bit bigger but much better engineered IMO. It offers much better customization for fit, which to me, is a big plus. 

The back strapping is also dramatically improved over the P1, and I never got the "Reebok neck" issue with the Premier (IE unit dropping too low). It's also got a slightly longer torso

and the arms are more accommodating. 

@creasecollector @TheGoalNet @Chenner29 @ruckus007

Thanks for all the replies... 

So, as far as protection, yeah, I'd be covered in either unit. I've been rocking a Bauer Elite for a long time and only faced the odd stinger, although now they've gotten worse (it's just an old C/A.)

I actually finally had a chance to try on the Premier Pro, just for sizing reference, but was really impressed with how massive, yet mobile it is. There were some movement restrictions, but I think they're equated to being off the shelf and not broken in.

My issue is as follows; I need so much gear that for my chest, it would either have to be the older CCM AB Pro, or the Senior version of the new Premier. So, maybe that changes some opinions a little?

I'm ~200lbs, but at 5'10 - I simply do not have the height or frame to take up loads of net space. I'm a mobile, reactive tendy, not a blocking one, but I really would like to take up some more space. I loved how huge the new C/A is, but it's out of my price range atm. SO.... that's kind of my question, would I lose tons and tons of coverage going "down" to the older model? Would I be less mobile? Since I was caught off guard with how much I liked the updated version...

Although, TGN seemed to answer a big part of that, by saying it's roughly 10% smaller. That's not horrible.

8 minutes ago, HP29 said:

@creasecollector @TheGoalNet @Chenner29 @ruckus007

Thanks for all the replies... 

So, as far as protection, yeah, I'd be covered in either unit. I've been rocking a Bauer Elite for a long time and only faced the odd stinger, although now they've gotten worse (it's just an old C/A.)

I actually finally had a chance to try on the Premier Pro, just for sizing reference, but was really impressed with how massive, yet mobile it is. There were some movement restrictions, but I think they're equated to being off the shelf and not broken in.

My issue is as follows; I need so much gear that for my chest, it would either have to be the older CCM AB Pro, or the Senior version of the new Premier. So, maybe that changes some opinions a little?

I'm ~200lbs, but at 5'10 - I simply do not have the height or frame to take up loads of net space. I'm a mobile, reactive tendy, not a blocking one, but I really would like to take up some more space. I loved how huge the new C/A is, but it's out of my price range atm. SO.... that's kind of my question, would I lose tons and tons of coverage going "down" to the older model? Would I be less mobile? Since I was caught off guard with how much I liked the updated version...

Although, TGN seemed to answer a big part of that, by saying it's roughly 10% smaller. That's not horrible.

For what it's worth, and in my opinion, my Premier Pro wasn't very mobile. If I were you, I'd opt for the AB Pro.

6 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

For what it's worth, and in my opinion, my Premier Pro wasn't very mobile. If I were you, I'd opt for the AB Pro.

Good food for thought! Full disclosure: I wasn't astonished simply by the mobility of the unit itself, just at how well it moved for something that was absolutely massive. I could reach the back of my head, which I did not expect.

Go with the AB Pro. It will cost you less and cover a lot of net. The design is timeless, too. There is a reason why goalies have used the P1 / P1 Clones such as the CCM AB Pro even in the 2017-18 season. It works. It's a great looking C/A and it will break in very nicely after you use it for a little bit.

I'm a small goalie (5'5" - 130 lbs) who needs to move and can't rely on just dropping and hoping the puck hits me. I've used the AB Pro for about 7 months now and I love it. Saved me money, plus taken up a ton of room in the net. Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. I think I paid about $275 CAD Shipped for mine. 

My unit is the Senior Small:

2038676966_CCMABProChestProtector.png.8e637d9c2a7c7967447ebb94a89530ac.png

17 minutes ago, HP29 said:

Good food for thought! Full disclosure: I wasn't astonished simply by the mobility of the unit itself, just at how well it moved for something that was absolutely massive. I could reach the back of my head, which I did not expect.

I hear ya. It is a blocking unit... which is... blocky. So yes, relative to it's intended purpose it was mobile. But shoulder floaters and elbow blocks were just too big and bulky for my liking. I made it work for a while but eventually threw in the towel for something different. 

I had exclusively used the Premier style chesty all the way back to the Koho AB570 and just this year I picked up a Vaughn V7 unit and I don't think I can ever use premier and mobile in the same sentence again. To me whatever I gave up in actual net size was made up for tenfold in mobility. I've also yet to feel anything close to a stinger in it which is why I had stayed away from Vaughn up to this point. But that's just 2 cents as chest protectors are so personal that you have to figure out what combo works best for your situation.

5 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

OR... just wait for this bad boy to hit stores. Looks like they addressed all my gripes with lack of articulation on shoulder floaters and elbow blocks...

image.png.0f721c1c29e6523328e2724249844aee.png  image.png.cdd6a3aa6fbc0cdfe3258080afb89fd1.png

Dang, now that thing looks sweet. CCM Premier ll C/A I'd assume? Or just a 'newly regulated' CCM Premier for Price.

Update: got ahold of the CCM P1!

It was handed to me and I realized, wow, this thing is huge! But it was super light - didn't expect that. The fit was the same as the new Premier, no issues with the belly or arms. I could move around quite well in it, better than the current model.

However...

• I finally realized what "Reebok neck" is.
  • I couldn't manage to settle the strapping into an ideal set up for the back plate or floaters
  • There was something digging into my armpits, as if I was a baby being hoisted up
  • I couldn't cinch up with wrists (mine are not small) without running out of elastic
  • The unit that showed up also had most of the elastic already stretched out, as if it was the exclusive in-store demo (could very well have been, considering age)

So, verdict is, I hate it. I'm coming off Bauer, so perhaps I'll look to Vaughn, like the Ventus, to try and add a little size, but maintain mobility.

Thanks again, all!

The "Reebok Neck" can be combated with a good neck protector, or a throat dangler if you're into that. Also, the armpit thing will go away after you break it in (from my experience). You could also look into extending the elastics on the wrists. As for the strapping on the back and floaters, I was able to adjust that after a few skates to get it right. 

The elastics being stretched out is a bummer though. If they weren't I'm sure it would have felt better.  

Shame you hate it though. Best of luck with your newest C/A choice though. I hope it works out from the get-go!

On 8/24/2018 at 1:22 PM, HP29 said:

Update: got ahold of the CCM P1!

It was handed to me and I realized, wow, this thing is huge! But it was super light - didn't expect that. The fit was the same as the new Premier, no issues with the belly or arms. I could move around quite well in it, better than the current model.

However...

• I finally realized what "Reebok neck" is.
  • I couldn't manage to settle the strapping into an ideal set up for the back plate or floaters
  • There was something digging into my armpits, as if I was a baby being hoisted up
  • I couldn't cinch up with wrists (mine are not small) without running out of elastic
  • The unit that showed up also had most of the elastic already stretched out, as if it was the exclusive in-store demo (could very well have been, considering age)

So, verdict is, I hate it. I'm coming off Bauer, so perhaps I'll look to Vaughn, like the Ventus, to try and add a little size, but maintain mobility.

Thanks again, all!

No CCM after all that?!?! HAHA, enjoy the search and keep us posted 

7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

No CCM after all that?!?! HAHA, enjoy the search and keep us posted 

Uggghhhh, hahaha, I know.

This thing has been legend for years and I really thought it would be for me, it's just not.

I managed to grab hold of the E-flex, super comfy and mobile, ditto on the Ventus. The Vaughn edged out the CCM just slightly on net space, but either would be great. Not quite as beefy as I'd initially considered, but big upgrade over my Bauer, and no mobility lost.

Will update when I pull the trigger!

Thanks again, all.

Archived