Show off your Gear (Note: Any images posted here can be posted on @TheGoalNet Instagram)

Westcoast Tender

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:18 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I think they did have Subban for a bit. They also had Chris Mason & Tim Thomas . 

They seemed to come out of no where to me, have 3 guys win the Smyth wearing their masks and then they didn't market too aggressively after that.

From GSBB posting memory, great masks 

I agree, they have a great product and in my opinion the best off the shelf mask one can get for the money.  However, recently I was in the market for a new mask and Sportmask was #1 on the list.  I struggled to find any in the states and for me to buy one from Canada it would likely have to be certified.  My LHS is a Sportmask dealer and told me that they have been horrible to deal with lately (not answering phone calls or emails).  I reached out personally to see if I could get a cat eye cage if I purchased a certified mask.  I received a response fairly quickly, but was told they wouldn't sell me one if I purchased a certified mask.  After a little push back about me being an adult player and not needing a cert mask in the U.S., they said I would have to remove the cert stickers and send them pics before they would sell me a cat eye cage.  It seemed like something they were very reluctant to do and had me wondering if they have had some legal trouble.  Regardless, they seem to be falling by the wayside...very little stock available, no social media presence, etc... could very well be another mask maker slowly going under.  However, at the end of the day I was surprised to find a non-cert VX-5 at TGC and got a great deal with the exchange rate.  I love this thing and so does my daughter!

20170301_200206.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gasman said:

Why mess with success.  I have three of them and I still use 2 of my T-3s from 2007 and 08.  Quality product that protects well.  The X8 came out a couple of years ago as a new model.  I won't trust anything else on my head but I've been using his masks since he first started in his "toolshed".  LoL.    

Ooohhhhhh shit son!!!  The Gasman cometh!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Welcome Gasman! Thanks for being here 

For sure!  Site looks great and is easy to use!  What's not to love!

Have a post of my new set after a month and a review.  Just have to find a bit of time to squeeze it in.  

13 hours ago, Gasman said:

For sure!  Site looks great and is easy to use!  What's not to love!

Have a post of my new set after a month and a review.  Just have to find a bit of time to squeeze it in.  

Is it gay that I feel a bit of a twitch in my pants when I see Gasman and review in the same sentence? hahahaha

• Like 2

As requested.  These photos are c. 10/2014 (modifications not pictured).   The late, great, Roddy Rod (RIP), the folks at The Goalie Crease and Brian's helped me build these two sets.  I did not like the Smart Strap System as designed.  I have subsequently stripped out the backsides of the pads and 1) modified the leg channel (open channel, open knee cradle) and 2) strapping system (elastic Price knee-block strap, nylon "Professor Strap" and nylon calf strap (likely unnecessary-may remove soon)).  I retained the Brian's elastic calf wrap strap and leather boot strap.  Can I call it the Smarter Strap System?  I'll try to get some pictures of the current modified backsides.  

0012_zps1e084768.jpg

002_zps74dd5e5e.jpg

003_zps81021ba3.jpg

004_zps470e99e3.jpg

005_zpsd702ba63.jpg

a4_zps09045db0.jpg

a7_zps92ea5fb8.jpg

catalog1_zpsed8b9dd4.jpg

IMG_0540_zps5f1602a1.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Why did you order two sets at the same time? 

I'd like pics of the leg channel, i modified mine as well

i have total jealously at how much better you executed the retro than I did 

Because the design process was so laborious for all persons involved and because I knew that my next set (likely in 3-5 years) would again be an homage to my old Cooper gear.  Getting it done right once was going to be tough enough. I didn't want to try to do it all over again in 3-5 years.  I was born in 1963 (now 53 years of age at the time of this post).  I'm currently playing for 3 teams year-round (summer and winter), some regular pick-up in the winter and the occasional tournament.  The plan is to get comfortable in one set, then introduce the second set.  At that point, I estimate that if I use 2 sets in rotation, the gear will likely outlive my hips, knees, shoulders and talent.  (update:  as my gear addiction worsens, I fear these may not be my last sets).

I'll try to get some pics of the leg channel mods up shortly.

Thanks TGN.  I was hell-bent on paying homage to the leather Cooper gear I wore growing up, 1977-1986 (GM12, GP59, GP95L).   Is your set posted?  Is your set a specific retro set?  Aesthetically, Brian's hit it out of the park with my design concept.  As Roddy Rod (RIP) of The Goalie Crease stated on GSBB in 2014, I provided them with extremely detailed specifications.  There are two minor glove errors.  They used white grommets despite every photo I sent them showing vintage gear with black grommets.  In their defense, I did not explicitly state that I wanted black grommets.  When I have time, I will likely replace with black grommets.  Bonus points if anyone can find the other glove error (which was totally my oversight).

From a functionality standpoint, the SubZero 2 pads are very light and very stiff but the strapping and leg channel are completely rebuilt/modified.

On 3/22/2017 at 5:48 PM, Westcoast Tender said:

New gloves.  I currently use a 7800 Blocker and Subzero II glove, so these are just updated versions of the same.  It's navy not black. 

Stock ones or some custom mods?

35 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

Awesome - now where's the video? And it seems to me the last time you won a cup you also fell down in the video - more of the same?

Unfortunately... I only have footage of 1 game and it was the one we lost... it should be enjoyable though haha. I never fell during the photos this time, I was too tired and barely got up after the final scramble in the last game (won 3-2 and was scrambling for the last 40 seconds).

I think I had decent excuses... I brought it for the first game in the morning, but I forgot my skates and had to borrow another goalies skates at the tournament. They were a low end older model and were awful to wear and since I was already late on the ice trying to find skates I didn't bring the camera. The second game was with the camera! 3rd the batteries wouldn't last.

For day 2, I rushed to the rink (I thought it was at 10:30 am, it was at 10:15 am...) so I forgot it at home. I was going to get it between games but we only had an hour and half break, so the 20 minute drive each way wasn't worth it!

On 3/22/2017 at 11:53 PM, FIFTY-SIX said:

Because the design process was so laborious for all persons involved and because I knew that my next set (likely in 3-5 years) would again be an homage to my old Cooper gear.  Getting it done right once was going to be tough enough. I didn't want to try to do it all over again in 3-5 years.  I was born in 1963 (now 53 years of age at the time of this post).  I'm currently playing for 3 teams year-round (summer and winter), some regular pick-up in the winter and the occasional tournament.  The plan is to get comfortable in one set, then introduce the second set.  At that point, I estimate that if I use 2 sets in rotation, the gear will likely outlive my hips, knees, shoulders and talent.  (update:  as my gear addiction worsens, I fear these may not be my last sets).

I'll try to get some pics of the leg channel mods up shortly.

Thanks TGN.  I was hell-bent on paying homage to the leather Cooper gear I wore growing up, 1977-1986 (GM12, GP59, GP95L).   Is your set posted?  Is your set a specific retro set?  Aesthetically, Brian's hit it out of the park with my design concept.  As Roddy Rod (RIP) of The Goalie Crease stated on GSBB in 2014, I provided them with extremely detailed specifications.  There are two minor glove errors.  They used white grommets despite every photo I sent them showing vintage gear with black grommets.  In their defense, I did not explicitly state that I wanted black grommets.  When I have time, I will likely replace with black grommets.  Bonus points if anyone can find the other glove error (which was totally my oversight).

From a functionality standpoint, the SubZero 2 pads are very light and very stiff but the strapping and leg channel are completely rebuilt/modified.

Black stitching. Blocker and glove.