Show off your Gear (Note: Any images posted here can be posted on @TheGoalNet Instagram)

Westcoast Tender

9 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Had a nice delivery Tuesday evening just before heading to the rink. Ever since I've been back from hip surgery I felt like I was playing off the balls of my feet... pitched forward and not in a more neutral stance like I prefer. After trying to make adjustments I just came to terms with the fact it's likely my steels... and sure enough it was. The DLC Tydans have been fantastic but the local sharpening skills left them with much more steel removed from the front half than the back half of them. So I ordered a new set from goalieparts.com... and went with the gold TIN coating. Skated with them last night and it felt right again. I was slightly concerned about the coating and how well it would do in preventing nicks and burs when kicking posts... but they performed impeccably. Going to have the DLCs brough back to neutral and throw them in the spare steel pouch.

Big thanks to Dennis Kasprowicz for great customer service and having them drop shipped to me. Worth noting if anyone does order a set, the notes field is mandatory when ordering, but i didn't have any special requests so I just threw my number in there as a place holder... but turns out they etched it on there more me... all the better.

image.thumb.png.2429a9e46264c6d7bc4b316e0cdc8e64.png  image.thumb.png.2b90db023f08de41bd571b978cf7a1b5.png

(previously posted in the Tydan vs Step thread)

Those look taller than the 5G Bauer Steel. Are they? If so, any worry that’s adding to any hip issues?

I believe some people are curious if the 2 Piece true skate is too tall for some goalies 

My CCM foam core got banged up worse than I thought last skate, so off to the store. Came back with a BPM 120 for $90 CAD tax in! Cheaper than most (all?) of the foam core inventory - which was funny, because I had assured my wife that I wouldn’t buy composite, since I was fine with foam core. Will tape this beast up, and try it out tonight. 

I like seeing all the puck marks on the white tape I had in the CCM, but it’s gonna have to be black tape for this one! 

enjoy retirement, 860. Thanks for all the fish.

DD691A59-5EF8-43ED-A9E3-ECF2A9642653.jpeg

F1ACBD00-4003-4DAE-9A01-D2F491E3DC53.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Like 2

Picked myself up a pair of Bauer 2s pads (labelled 1s) through sideline swap. Originally seen them this summer on Kijiji being sold by a goalie school in Nova Scotia who only used them for one week. I had picked up a set of Vapor 1x pads the week before so I passed on them.

I ended up selling the Vapors 2 weeks back and getting these finally as the price was way too good to pass up. Once I got them, I cleaned all the marks off them and they look almost new. I posted a before and after shots of them. Now I just need to find some long boot straps and short crs straps as these came with long crs straps and short boot straps. The one thing I find different with the newer material used in the 2s pads is how much more they slide vs the original material on the Vapor 1x.

20181209_142121.jpg

339d4eba0e204cfd_large.jpeg

e0f69e0752160f6a_large.jpeg

Edited by Snowman30
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

My CCM foam core got banged up worse than I thought last skate, so off to the store. Came back with a BPM 120 for $90 CAD tax in! Cheaper than most (all?) of the foam core inventory - which was funny, because I had assured my wife that I wouldn’t buy composite, since I was fine with foam core. Will tape this beast up, and try it out tonight. 

I like seeing all the puck marks on the white tape I had in the CCM, but it’s gonna have to be black tape for this one! 

I would keep the CCM as your warm up stick.  I always use my older sticks for warm ups to help extend the life of my newer sticks.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I would keep the CCM as your warm up stick.  I always use my older sticks for warm ups to help extend the life of my newer sticks.

Oh, absolutely- I guess “relegated to back up” would have been a better way to put it than “retirement.” I already gave it a new tape job and some TLC 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

image.jpg

Man, that 860 is brand new, what are you talking about?!

That Sher-wood looks sexy though.  It's amazing what black and weave can do.  Enjoy it and let me know how the stick felt.

10 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

image.jpg

Been using the BPM on and off for a year or so. It’s a solid stick. It’s the second lightest stick on the market and I find the rebounds to be super hot.

Probably going to do some projects with it soon 

On 12/8/2018 at 12:27 AM, TheGoalNet said:
Those look taller than the 5G Bauer Steel. Are they? If so, any worry that’s adding to any hip issues?

I believe some people are curious if the 2 Piece true skate is too tall for some goalies 

Total height on the Tydan is a hair under 23mm (18mm showing when installed into the Vertexx Edge holder,) and that's after 2 sharpenings. They're certainly much taller than the LS3G I had, but I would defer to you or @Adam Cooper for measurements on the LS5G.

As for my hip issues... they are a combination of genetics and 30+ years between the pipes. The additional height hasn't changed my stance, so the only time I'm really taking advantage of the lower attack angle is when i'm butterfly pushing. That said, I would like to stress the 30+ years... I've had plenty of time to be coached and be comfortable with what I am capable of... how I need to use that to my advantage... and how to make up for the shortcomings. More importantly... how to know when to make a change as my body changes. Not to go to off subject here... but I also think this is where the importance of technique utilized by the goaltender to maximize their strengths while minimizing their opportunity for injury comes into play. A LOT of what we all discuss on this forum is gear because to varying degrees it's all attainable for us. We can get the lightest pads, or those that slide the best, or close the 5 hole fastest... but we spend less time talking technique because it's hard to do and most of us don't get ice time outside of beer league games to work on such things. For those of you who subscribe to The Athletic, Cat Silverman did a nice piece on Laurent Brossoit and how he worked on what HE NEEDED to be a better NHL goalie... 

https://theathletic.com/611267/2018/10/25/behind-the-save-how-laurent-brossoit-found-his-way-back-to-nhl-form/

I certainly understand the question with regard to my hip issues though. You look at the stress being applies to hips (especially at such a young age) now, and guys who may have genetic predispositions like me will likely have their issues accelerated. While potentially taken out of context, the image below of Tyler Parsons hurts to look at... (cant tell if he's using LS5G or DLC Tydan/Step)

Image result for tyler parsons

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

Picked myself up a pair of Bauer 2s pads (labelled 1s) through sideline swap. Originally seen them this summer on Kijiji being sold by a goalie school in Nova Scotia who only used them for one week. I had picked up a set of Vapor 1x pads the week before so I passed on them.

I ended up selling the Vapors 2 weeks back and getting these finally as the price was way too good to pass up. Once I got them, I cleaned all the marks off them and they look almost new. I posted a before and after shots of them. Now I just need to find some long boot straps and short crs straps as these came with long crs straps and short boot straps. The one thing I find different with the newer material used in the 2s pads is how much more they slide vs the original material on the Vapor 1x.

Agreed on that... I had a VERY small sample size of skates in which I have demo'd both 1X and 2S... and I would agree that 2S slide much better than the 1X did for me. In fact, I was hard pressed to notice the 1X being much different than my Retroflexes now. I know some of you may be rolling your eyes to that, and I will admit I didn't like the 1X from the start. Just couldn't get them to feel right, which could also be the reason they didn't slide much better for me. But I will say when I slid with the 2S is was pretty remarkable. Even guys after the skates mentioned how I seemed to just be moving much more smoothly. Didn't have to load up my push leg nearly as much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Total height on the Tydan is a hair under 23mm (18mm showing when installed into the Vertexx Edge holder,) and that's after 2 sharpenings. They're certainly much taller than the LS3G I had, but I would defer to you or @Adam Cooper for measurements on the LS5G.

As for my hip issues... they are a combination of genetics and 30+ years between the pipes. The additional height hasn't changed my stance, so the only time I'm really taking advantage of the lower attack angle is when i'm butterfly pushing. That said, I would like to stress the 30+ years... I've had plenty of time to be coached and be comfortable with what I am capable of... how I need to use that to my advantage... and how to make up for the shortcomings. More importantly... how to know when to make a change as my body changes. Not to go to off subject here... but I also think this is where the importance of technique utilized by the goaltender to maximize their strengths while minimizing their opportunity for injury comes into play. A LOT of what we all discuss on this forum is gear because to varying degrees it's all attainable for us. We can get the lightest pads, or those that slide the best, or close the 5 hole fastest... but we spend less time talking technique because it's hard to do and most of us don't get ice time outside of beer league games to work on such things. For those of you who subscribe to The Athletic, Cat Silverman did a nice piece on Laurent Brossoit and how he worked on what HE NEEDED to be a better NHL goalie... 

https://theathletic.com/611267/2018/10/25/behind-the-save-how-laurent-brossoit-found-his-way-back-to-nhl-form/

I certainly understand the question with regard to my hip issues though. You look at the stress being applies to hips (especially at such a young age) now, and guys who may have genetic predispositions like me will likely have their issues accelerated. While potentially taken out of context, the image below of Tyler Parsons hurts to look at... (cant tell if he's using LS5G or DLC Tydan/Step)

Image result for tyler parsons

Great share!  I would agree that the Tydan and Step Steel blades are taller than the LS5G.  For me, I was not concerned about adding height (I'm 6ft) so I think I cover a good amount of net.  For me, focus was keeping a sharper edge longer and providing more durability when the blade hits the posts.  If I hit the post a couple times with my normal blades and they are toast.  I'm still loving the LS5G blades.  Great investment.

Nice pick up from Kyle. How did you get him to send them ? If they are coming Canada Post you probley looking at Jan 2019 delivery as they removed all the delivery guarantees and are saying 4 weeks is the average for large parcels. When I got my 2s pads, I have Kyle UPS the, for $50 more and had them in 5 days.

1 hour ago, Snowman30 said:

Nice pick up from Kyle. How did you get him to send them ? If they are coming Canada Post you probley looking at Jan 2019 delivery as they removed all the delivery guarantees and are saying 4 weeks is the average for large parcels. When I got my 2s pads, I have Kyle UPS the, for $50 more and had them in 5 days.

Yeah it was a sweet deal. He always has great stuff, it's just never my size/specs/or color ways. I think it was Canada Post. I'll see if he can switch it to UPS. Thanks for the heads up!

No worries, I had also picked up pair of custom Bauer skates with black cowlings he had up the other day but am not in rush with them so I told him Canada Post was fine. It cost me $50 more to ship the pads with UPS but atleast I got my pads in a reasonable time. Am just getting items now from Canada Post I bought in October.

Heads up for next time, he is also in Instagram too and usually you can get a better deal with through there with him

To tack on to @BadAngle41‘s post about hip issues and blade height...

Many of us after Midget/Junior typically settle into a sedentary lifestyle with school or work. Talk to any health professional and they will agree on one thing - sitting for long periods of time is awful for your joints, in particular your hip mobility. 

Combine that with increasing social/family/other obligations and you have a compounding issue with body maintenance for IMO one of the most demanding positions in sports.  If anything, my stretching routine is sporadic when it should be daily, given the amount of flexibility I’ve lost due to small injuries, wear and tear, and general use. 

The guys coming up these days have access to much more specialized training than I did 20 years ago. I remember one of the first “training camps” I did for Junior, the first “goalie conditioning drill” was to do high speed lunges with my gear on goal line to goal line (if you played around the mid to late 90s you know what I’m talking about). You never see this kind of work anymore being done with goalies because it’s a sure fire way to blow out a hip, knee, or groin.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Agreed on that... I had a VERY small sample size of skates in which I have demo'd both 1X and 2S... and I would agree that 2S slide much better than the 1X did for me. In fact, I was hard pressed to notice the 1X being much different than my Retroflexes now. I know some of you may be rolling your eyes to that, and I will admit I didn't like the 1X from the start. Just couldn't get them to feel right, which could also be the reason they didn't slide much better for me. But I will say when I slid with the 2S is was pretty remarkable. Even guys after the skates mentioned how I seemed to just be moving much more smoothly. Didn't have to load up my push leg nearly as much.

Yeah I was like you, the 1x pads didn't really blow my mind but I did slide a little bit better then I did in my Sub 2 pads with weave on the inside. Last week 1st game with the 2s pads, I almost ended up in the corner. I went to do a butterfly slide and was like holly crap am not going to stop. My defense asked me what a sprayed on my pads as I was sliding/moving  so much quicker. I can even tell the durability is alot better with 2s, I know they did alot of improvements with  the 1x, but they went ever further with the 2s.

• Like 1

Well, this set showed up on marketplace a couple weeks ago and the deal was too good to pass up.  First time ever in Lefevre pads and even though I'm not a fan of all white gear, I must say they are nicer in person than I originaly tought. 

Got to wore them once so far and got absolutely lit up, let's just say I picked the wrong crowd to try on new gear I was not familiar with.  Will keep on playing with the settings and strapping options but, although my first time out wasn't good and I didn't really enjoyed how they felt, I think I can make it work as I probably hav identified what the problems were.  Think I just need more ice time to figure things out.

Lemme know what you think!

210026613.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/9/2018 at 5:58 PM, Math. said:

Man, that 860 is brand new, what are you talking about?!

That Sher-wood looks sexy though.  It's amazing what black and weave can do.  Enjoy it and let me know how the stick felt.

Brand new, huh? Yours for the brand new price of $90 then - I’ll even bring it to Montreal for you (which is ironic, as I bought it at the Hockey Monkey there...) LOL! 

Played the sexy BPM 120 Sunday, and felt pretty bad ass... then remembered that NO skaters ever notice your new gear, so figured I should focus on looking cool AND make a few saves (but only when it suited me). 

I really liked it - so much so that I went back to buy another at price (which turned out to be a mistake, but they gave me the same price again anyway). Was mildly concerned that the square toe would be different, but I’m not nearly a good enough puck handler for it to have been an issue. Was also mildly concerned, having never used a composite, about vibration, but that AVH technology seems to really work. Even took a slapper off the shaft, which deadened like wood, but didn’t leave a dent! 

3 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Brand new, huh? Yours for the brand new price of $90 then - I’ll even bring it to Montreal for you (which is ironic, as I bought it at the Hockey Monkey there...) LOL! 

Played the sexy BPM 120 Sunday, and felt pretty bad ass... then remembered that NO skaters ever notice your new gear, so figured I should focus on looking cool AND make a few saves (but only when it suited me). 

I really liked it - so much so that I went back to buy another at price (which turned out to be a mistake, but they gave me the same price again anyway). Was mildly concerned that the square toe would be different, but I’m not nearly a good enough puck handler for it to have been an issue. Was also mildly concerned, having never used a composite, about vibration, but that AVH technology seems to really work. Even took a slapper off the shaft, which deadened like wood, but didn’t leave a dent! 

Hahaha, well, it's brand new according to my standards!  I endured mine a solid 2 years before retiring it earlier this year, let's just say I squeeze all the life out of it.  Might have to consider the BPM120.  Still looking for a new composite and haven't made up my mind yet.  Still wondering if I go full retard and get the 2S Pro, which, to be completely honnest, I wouldn't deserve or probably even use to it's full potential, or try and find a more reasonably priced stick that would suits me just fine.  Still debating.

134841562.jpg

Edited by Math.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Math. said:

Well, this set showed up on marketplace a couple weeks ago and the deal was too good to pass up.  First time ever in Lefevre pads and even though I'm not a fan of all white gear, I must say they are nicer in person than I originaly tought. 

Got to wore them once so far and got absolutely lit up, let's just say I picked the wrong crowd to try on new gear I was not familiar with.  Will keep on playing with the settings and strapping options but, although my first time out wasn't good and I didn't really enjoyed how they felt, I think I can make it work as I probably hav identified what the problems were.  Think I just need more ice time to figure things out.

Lemme know what you think!

210026613.jpg

YES!! Love it. Wish I could find some gems like that in my size. Nice pick up. 

• Thanks 1