Show off your Gear (Note: Any images posted here can be posted on @TheGoalNet Instagram)

Westcoast Tender

6 hours ago, stackem30 said:

I don't think I've ever posted a family photo here...

0-3.thumb.jpg.f1ce3ef5821df27d3855f350fb9ad3f5.jpg

Leg Pads: Kenesky (custom)

Glove: Stomp (custom)

Blocker: BHG Eyewall

Mask: Protechsport (Brodeur mold)

Stick: CCM E-Flex III

Chest Pad: Koho AB490SR

Neck Guard: Brown 2100

Skates: Vaughn GX

Pants: Tackla 6000 

Knee Pads: Brian's Pro II

Jock: Brown2000

Chest pad is long overdue for an upgrade — I'll be looking into a Kenesky for sure. Skates are okay, wish I'd sprung for the GX2s or a pair of Grafs (mine were on clearance). Blocker needs a new palm and some beefed-up finger protection the second my season is over, and the glove needs some repairs, too — but I love them both too much to give up on them. 

That setup is legendary 👏🏻 I don’t think I’ve ever heard of stomp and bhg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

BHG is the last line created by Brian Heaton before his death.  He recreated the CCM H10 line... and offered a chest unit that was a clone of his legendary H5 as well

8 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Thank you!

Stomp was owned by Darren Stomp, who made gear for Brian's and Heaton back in the day. I always loved those companies' gloves, so Stomp was a good find for me. I basically asked Darren to make a big 'ole Heaton-style glove, and it came out great. Sadly, the Stomp brand seems to no longer be in business — not sure what Darren's doing.

BHG stands for 'Brian Heaton Goalie' — it was Brian Heaton's line after Heaton was acquired by The Hockey Company (I think... I'm a little hazy on the details. Heaton's was under the CCM brand from ~2000 to 2005, and after that, everything was labeled as Rbk — same for Koho). BHG made some really excellent stuff, and a lot of guys on the old GSBB had some really beautiful gear from BHG. Sadly, Brian passed away in 2009. There's a thread about him in this forum, and the old one on the GSBB has some great pictures of his gear. I was very lucky to snag my BHG off of eBay (the only time I've ever used eBay) when London Source for Sports put it up. Kind of incredible, my color scheme and everything...

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, Bouwser29 said:

I’m looking at this mask for a replacement, currently I’m wearing an old Bauer 9600, how does this fit compared to Bauer’s?

Not sure how to answer this, as Bauer has a broad range of fits across the different styles. If you are talking to the 9600 specifically, I'm not entirely sure, as I haven't worn one since about 2005/2006. I did find the 515 to be a little tighter fitting in the cheeks then the 960XPM, but I attribute that more to the shape/position of the padding then anything else.

8 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Thank you!

Stomp was owned by Darren Stomp, who made gear for Brian's and Heaton back in the day. I always loved those companies' gloves, so Stomp was a good find for me. I basically asked Darren to make a big 'ole Heaton-style glove, and it came out great. Sadly, the Stomp brand seems to no longer be in business — not sure what Darren's doing.

BHG stands for 'Brian Heaton Goalie' — it was Brian Heaton's line after Heaton was acquired by The Hockey Company (I think... I'm a little hazy on the details. Heaton's was under the CCM brand from ~2000 to 2005, and after that, everything was labeled as Rbk — same for Koho). BHG made some really excellent stuff, and a lot of guys on the old GSBB had some really beautiful gear from BHG. Sadly, Brian passed away in 2009. There's a thread about him in this forum, and the old one on the GSBB has some great pictures of his gear. I was very lucky to snag my BHG off of eBay (the only time I've ever used eBay) when London Source for Sports put it up. Kind of incredible, my color scheme and everything...

He sure made some good gear though. 

Going back on when I read your story where the goalie left his helmet up for part of the game and was making fun of your gear... I’d sure as hell rather see something like what you wear than boring ass bauer pads 😂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

He sure made some good gear though. 

Going back on when I read your story where the goalie left his helmet up for part of the game and was making fun of your gear... I’d sure as hell rather see something like what you wear than boring ass bauer pads 😂

You're speakin' my language, Southpaw

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Obiwanjabroni said:

Not sure how to answer this, as Bauer has a broad range of fits across the different styles. If you are talking to the 9600 specifically, I'm not entirely sure, as I haven't worn one since about 2005/2006. I did find the 515 to be a little tighter fitting in the cheeks then the 960XPM, but I attribute that more to the shape/position of the padding then anything else.

That's pretty much all the info I was looking for! Appreciate the help!

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Ha, no.  That's just a skeleton in our lobby . No big deal. His name is Rupert.

I'm such a gear-head that I didn't even notice there was a skull in there... too busy studying your mask. Sweet setup!

Could I ever convince you to ditch the skate-lace holding up your dangler in exchange for some navy or baby-blue nylon cord? Obviously it's only my opinion and a *complete* matter of personal preference, but I always thought the skate-lace looks a bit sloppy/high-school (I know Holtby still rocks it) and takes away from the rest of a mask, visually. If you prefer it, any particular reason?

Also, is that clear tape at the bottom of your mask's chin, or is it some sort of rubber? I used to put tape on the bottom of my chin to avoid any chips, etc. Curious what your approach is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

I'm such a gear-head that I didn't even notice there was a skull in there... too busy studying your mask. Sweet setup!

Could I ever convince you to ditch the skate-lace holding up your dangler in exchange for some navy or baby-blue nylon cord? Obviously it's only my opinion and a *complete* matter of personal preference, but I always thought the skate-lace looks a bit sloppy/high-school (I know Holtby still rocks it) and takes away from the rest of a mask, visually. If you prefer it, any particular reason?

Also, is that clear tape at the bottom of your mask's chin, or is it some sort of rubber? I used to put tape on the bottom of my chin to avoid any chips, etc. Curious what your approach is.

Thanks stackem.

I'm not set on the skate place it's just what I had around that matched my set.  I think baby blue chord would be the best but I'm not wanting that bad enough to search for it to buy.

This mask is in line to be painted very soon (more on that in a full detail thread once it's done) so I'll probably then look for something that best contrasts the paint at the bottom of the mask.

The stuff on the chin is rubber car door liner with it's own adhesive in the groove.  It's just to deaden the clanking from the dangler.

Surprised you don't know about it...there's a few posts about it somewhere on here.  It's a life hack I learned on the GSBB bsck in the old days.

• Like 1

Lucky you — I'm unable to refrain from spending stupid amounts of time looking for "the right little thing", both online and in real stores. Smart to hold out until it's been painted — my guess is you'll be fine with a plain white cord at that point, and you can get that at any hardware store.

I'm surprised I missed the car door liner trick as well — I'll have to look into that.

9 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Lucky you — I'm unable to refrain from spending stupid amounts of time looking for "the right little thing", both online and in real stores. Smart to hold out until it's been painted — my guess is you'll be fine with a plain white cord at that point, and you can get that at any hardware store.

I'm surprised I missed the car door liner trick as well — I'll have to look into that.

Yeah, there will be lots of blue paint, so white chord will probably be best.

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Looking good, @Doobiesnax 

You're a legit all black goalie, but you better be careful with ghosting images on your mask.  Some people get real offended around here with those.

wtf lol you mean images of ghosts or the use of "ghosting" as a technique in airbrushing? Because I did both hahaha.

Edited by Doobiesnax

3 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

wtf lol you mean images of ghosts or the use of "ghosting" as a technique in airbrushing?

BOTH!

(the technique).

You get a pass if it's legit ghosty stuff.  Just don't do a ghosted NHL logo like some Swedish guy we all know.

P.S.  did you coat the cage too?

Edited by seagoal