True 1-Pc vs 2-Pc vs 2-Pc with Vertexx Holder

BonesDT

I’m ready to pull the trigger on a True boot. I’m leaning towards the 2-Piece with Bauer’s Vertexx Edge holder instead of True’s universal holder. The reasons:

2-Piece is apparently lighter than 1-Piece

2-Piece is taller. I’m 5’10”, but I’m not really sure how taller helps if you’re in your knees.  Do get a greater push angle tho  

Larger aftermarket for Bauer blades  

I figure the setup will be more future proof and I’ll be able to upgrade with new Bauer components 

I can get Bauer 3mm blades which are lighter than True’s 4mm. 

The Vertexx Edge trigger is awesome. I don’t need to swap blades mid-game but I like to fidget with my gear off ice, so I’ll enjoy clipping blades in and out.

But I hear good things about the 1-Piece.

Convince me! 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@BonesDT I have a pair of both the 1 and 2 piece. Love them both for different reasons. 

Keep in mind the 2 piece with True holder is not only much taller than the 1 piece, it’s also pitched way forward. Heel is much higher than the toe. 

Yes the 2 piece is lighter but honestly with the zero negative space fit you will not notice. 

Both are great skates, I think you need to ask yourself whether you want to be lower/more connected with the ice in a flatter stance (1 piece) or more aggressively pitched forward with a greater attack angle (2 piece). Either way you’re going to get the fit, which is where 90% of the benefit in performance is coming from. 

6 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

True will not sell a boot alone any longer, FYI. You can switch the holder, but True now ONLY sells with the True/Step holder.

Damn it, that sucks.  I was communicating with my dealer exactly 1 year ago (when they were VH), and they said the 2-piece would be reduced from $840 to $699 if I omitted their holders and supplied my own (free installation).

5 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@BonesDT I have a pair of both the 1 and 2 piece. Love them both for different reasons. 

Keep in mind the 2 piece with True holder is not only much taller than the 1 piece, it’s also pitched way forward. Heel is much higher than the toe. 

Yes the 2 piece is lighter but honestly with the zero negative space fit you will not notice. 

Both are great skates, I think you need to ask yourself whether you want to be lower/more connected with the ice in a flatter stance (1 piece) or more aggressively pitched forward with a greater attack angle (2 piece). Either way you’re going to get the fit, which is where 90% of the benefit in performance is coming from. 

That's the thing, I'm not really sure which stance I want.  I wish I had the luxury to extensively test both styles.

Oh well, I figure I'm used to modern Bauers, and except for fit and comfort, they have served me well in performance, so I know I can't go wrong.  I assume True's 2-piece is pitched exactly like a Bauer (even more so with the Bauer holders).  Is this right?  Or is True even more aggressive?

53 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

Damn it, that sucks.  I was communicating with my dealer exactly 1 year ago (when they were VH), and they said the 2-piece would be reduced from $840 to $699 if I omitted their holders and supplied my own (free installation).

They *just* did away with the option of ordering with no holder, too! Unless you wear like a size 13 or something like that, you are stuck with their universal holder :(

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

They *just* did away with the option of ordering with no holder, too! Unless you wear like a size 13 or something like that, you are stuck with their universal holder :(

Just to clarify, you can still send them Bauer holders to install?  They just don’t give you a discount for omitting their holder. Right?

2 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

No to the first question or no to the second?

No, they will not install a competitor holder on there. 

You will have to purchase the boot, holder, and steel if you go with 2 piece. You can request for the holders to go unmounted. 

6 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

No to the first question or no to the second?

Both.

2 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

You will have to purchase the boot, holder, and steel if you go with 2 piece. You can request for the holders to go unmounted. 

Did not know that! Good to know.

1 hour ago, BonesDT said:

Just contacted my store.  This is what they said:

"True will install aftermarket holders, but there is no longer reduced pricing for doing so. You have to pay for the whole price of a two piece goalie skate."

Fantastic! I read in so many places that they would not. If they’ll do it, GREAT!

6 hours ago, BonesDT said:

Just contacted my store.  This is what they said:

"True will install aftermarket holders, but there is no longer reduced pricing for doing so. You have to pay for the whole price of a two piece goalie skate."

Interesting.  Tim told me they wouldn't do the install.

Bones I too are in the market for skates for my son - I have ruled out True cause they will not sell me the boots only!

However Bauer and CCM have custom skates as well, the Bauer has a scanning device and the summary you get is amazing - it explains to you the changes that will be done to you boot in regards to your feet!

I am probably going to pull the trigger on custom Bauer's for my son this Friday.

You have 2 other options at your disposal!

On 8/20/2018 at 9:10 AM, Chenner29 said:

I could see not installing a competitor's holder, but they are making these 1 off. Seems odd not to be able to supply a boot only. 

@Tim_TRUEHockey - Any chance you could help clarify this business decision? I am sure there is good reason, but seems kinda disappointing for the custom skate market. 

14 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I could see not installing a competitor's holder, but they are making these 1 off. Seems odd not to be able to supply a boot only. 

@Tim_TRUEHockey - Any chance you could help clarify this business decision? I am sure there is good reason, but seems kinda disappointing for the custom skate market. 

Step wants to sell replacement steel. 

13 hours ago, Big2 said:

Bones I too are in the market for skates for my son - I have ruled out True cause they will not sell me the boots only!

However Bauer and CCM have custom skates as well, the Bauer has a scanning device and the summary you get is amazing - it explains to you the changes that will be done to you boot in regards to your feet!

I am probably going to pull the trigger on custom Bauer's for my son this Friday.

You have 2 other options at your disposal!

Are the Bauer custom skates really custom like True?  I get the impression their program is more semi-custom, like take an off the shelf skate an tweak it. 

I’m sure they’ll compete with True at some point, but it seems True has mastered the custom boot for now. I really don’t want to compromise on the fit. 

2 hours ago, BonesDT said:

Are the Bauer custom skates really custom like True?  I get the impression their program is more semi-custom, like take an off the shelf skate an tweak it. 

I’m sure they’ll compete with True at some point, but it seems True has mastered the custom boot for now. I really don’t want to compromise on the fit. 

Bones - really custom and made in Canada

FYI I am not a die hard Bauer fan - but my son has had their skates for the last 6 years and there have never been any quality issues with them.  I would recommend that you do your own do diligence and go to store that has the Bauer scanner and discuss this with the retailer/also you seem concerned with weight all True skates are heavy even the 2 piece food for thought!

I will know more when we go and get officially fitted - and let you know!!

Just saying - if your going to drop this kind of money look at all options, I would have considered True but since they wont do the boot only we are out - this would increase the cost by +/- $300 and I highly recommend you not going with their 2 piece/holder you will need to consider the Vertexx

22 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I think Tim is MIA - pm'd him +/- two weeks ago and have not heard back!

When was the last time he was on the forum??

Let the hounds loose

So we are waffling on this subject - True/VH might be my sons option we will be talking to his goalie coach who has been using these skates since the beginning of the summer to get his input before going to the shop this PM!

So I got more info from my store (I specifically asked about drilling Bauer holes so I can purchase the Bauer holders later):

"In regards to the holders, the factory is willing to not install stock True holders and will drill Bauer holes if I request them. You have to pay for the holders and they will come in the box, but if you want Bauer holders I can request for them to not install the holders and just drill correct Bauer holes for no additional charge."

So what seems to be 100% at this time is that there is no longer a discount for opting against True holders.  You have to pay for the full price of the full skate.

What seems to be up in the air is whether True will install an aftermarket holder for you (provided you ship them the holders).  My store clearly says they will install them or, if you don't ship them the holders, they will pre-drill the holes for them.  Others on here, indicate otherwise.

I was hoping to prove it to everyone on September 1st, but it seems like my plans to get fitted on that date have busted for other reasons.

In any event, who has more info on the Bauer custom goalie skate program.  I can't find anything online other than a list of stores with the 3D fit center.  How much are they??  Are they just the 2S and 1X skates or lower level skates too?

I'll add that the Bauer Vertexx Edge holders go for $59.99 each side (but for some reason Goalie Monkey has them only for $49.99 each) and then you need to buy the runners/blades too.  The top of the line black LS5G's that are on the 1S/2S skates go for $109.99 per set.

So the base price for the True 2-Piece goalie skate is $799.99 + $100 Bauer holders + $110 blades, you're looking at $1,010 for this setup.

It's really unfortunate they don't give you a discount for the boot only and I doubt you can sell True holders & steel for very much.

True holders use 4mm blades.  It’s actually a 3mm slot, but the Step blades are “Fat” which means they thicken to 4mm.  Oddly, Step doesn’t offer a full 3mm goalie option (and neither does anyone else). Seems like a lost opportunity.  Interestingly, they are also player holders as well.  All you have to do is swap out the steel for a player specific one that is rockered (which would be a full 3mm).  It would be really cool if True figured out how to add a achilles heel pad to the back of the goalie skates so you can convert your goalie skates into full player skates.

Bauer holders are goalie specific and use 3mm blades only now.  They have a trigger release so you don't need tools to remove the blades.  I believe the Bauer holders may be lighter than the True holders as well.

50 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

So I got more info from my store (I specifically asked about drilling Bauer holes so I can purchase the Bauer holders later):

"In regards to the holders, the factory is willing to not install stock True holders and will drill Bauer holes if I request them. You have to pay for the holders and they will come in the box, but if you want Bauer holders I can request for them to not install the holders and just drill correct Bauer holes for no additional charge."

So what seems to be 100% at this time is that there is no longer a discount for opting against True holders.  You have to pay for the full price of the full skate.

What seems to be up in the air is whether True will install an aftermarket holder for you (provided you ship them the holders).  My store clearly says they will install them or, if you don't ship them the holders, they will pre-drill the holes for them.  Others on here, indicate otherwise.

I was hoping to prove it to everyone on September 1st, but it seems like my plans to get fitted on that date have busted for other reasons.

In any event, who has more info on the Bauer custom goalie skate program.  I can't find anything online other than a list of stores with the 3D fit center.  How much are they??  Are they just the 2S and 1X skates or lower level skates too?

Bones

Greatly appreciate you comments about the holes being pre-drilled for the Bauer holder!

I am working on the same question - I was told that for the player skate the holes line up between the True holder and Bauer holder so you can change them ate you will!  Should be the same for the goalie skates, should have confirmation by end of business!

FYI the Bauer custom skates are $1300 - so I am passing on them, this doesn't include extra step blades my son runs 3 pair of blades. Originally I had been quoted $1100 for the Baer custom??

CCM are at $1100 FYI

Going tomorrow morning for the scan

Archived