True 1-Pc vs 2-Pc vs 2-Pc with Vertexx Holder

BonesDT

Let me ask you guys something. Assuming I have True professionally drill Bauer holes (whether they are the same as True or they drill a second set on the boot for me), how hard is it for me to swap holders myself?  Is it as simple as grinding off the old riverts and bolting the new holders on or do they need to be aligned precisely by a professional shop?  I have no idea how precise these things need to be. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@BonesDT- Don’t grindoff the rivets. I figured out how to remove them. But I would let a professional do the job if you want your holder intact.

I use t-nuts to attach cowlings. 

I had a fair bit of trouble removing the rivets without harming the holder a bit. If you don’t care about that, I go to town with a drill bit and punching out the rivets. Coppers can come off with the claw of a hammer. Again- this is a concern if you’re planning to re-use the holders.

If someone has a good nethod for the at home tinkerer, please share it. I will end up with some skate servicing tools (i.e rivet punchers and removal tools) in order to remove rivets and pop in new ones. But I am still liking T-nuts over rivets.

So I'm eyeing (for a near future) to get  True boot done and have it set up on a Bauer Vertexx as I find them a little lower that the original True one (a personal preference). Does True just ask you to send in the runner in for them to install?

Richman I will inquire tomorrow when we go to get my son's foot scanned - I believe the holes for the True holder are the made in the same place as those for the Vertexx. Not sure if they install the Vertexx unit for you I will also inquire!

As far as the height is concerned between the True and Vertexx we have to be careful - I have a picture somewhere on this site between the 2 skates and like you said the difference is minor but the Bauer skate does not have a Step steel - I think if you install Step standard blades you are at the same height as the True

I just ordered my 2 piece today with the True holder. I’ve been all over the place trying to decide on the 1 piece or 2 piece for the past few months. Now that I’ve ordered mine I’m already concerned with not going with the Vertexx holders. Please let me know if anyone confirms if you can replace the True holder with the Vertexx without any concerns. I’m interested in trying the True holder, however since being in 1S skates for the past 2 years I may feel more comfortable with the Vertexx. 

JB that's what I am being told - I will still double check I think I'm gonna gow with the Vertexx holder due to the option of going 3mm or 4 mm with Step I also like their trigger mechanism which I am told is very robust my son changes blades often.

Thanks for your imput!

3 hours ago, Jblack151 said:

I just ordered my 2 piece today with the True holder. I’ve been all over the place trying to decide on the 1 piece or 2 piece for the past few months. Now that I’ve ordered mine I’m already concerned with not going with the Vertexx holders. Please let me know if anyone confirms if you can replace the True holder with the Vertexx without any concerns. I’m interested in trying the True holder, however since being in 1S skates for the past 2 years I may feel more comfortable with the Vertexx. 

Just curious, can you actually FEEL the difference in holders when you skate?  Other than the difference between 3mm and 4mm blades, I would think the rest feels the same. I’m assuming you went to a larger diameter cut than what you were used to on your 3mm. 

1 hour ago, BonesDT said:

Just curious, can you actually FEEL the difference in holders when you skate?  Other than the difference between 3mm and 4mm blades, I would think the rest feels the same. I’m assuming you went to a larger diameter cut than what you were used to on your 3mm. 

I guess i’ll let you know in a few weeks once mine arrive. For reference, I’m in 1S’s with Tydan blades now. On a visual comparison there’s a big difference. Performance wise will be determined soon. I’ll post up everything once I can. If anyone else can assist with this question, please post your thoughts. 

4 hours ago, BonesDT said:

3mm you need to go sharper. I had the old vh skates with Bauer vertexx cowling 3mm steel sharpened to 3/8” I am now in the two piece cowlingless with the true holders 4mm steel and sharpen 1/2”. 

5 hours ago, Imperative said:

3mm you need to go sharper. I had the old vh skates with Bauer vertexx cowling 3mm steel sharpened to 3/8” I am now in the two piece cowlingless with the true holders 4mm steel and sharpen 1/2”. 

Imperative - other than the fact that a 3mm blade needs to be sharpened with a sharper cut have you noticed a difference between a 3mm vs a 4 mm??

Skates have been ordered - 1) holes for both the True holder and the Bauer Vertexx holder are in the same place 2) LHS recommended we try the True holder before changing holder all his two piece orders the goalies have kept the True holder 3) the True holder is higher than the 2s skate but with the original Bauer blades if you where to install some Step blades on the Bauer skates the difference would be minor.

Now we wait!

13 hours ago, Big2 said:

Skates have been ordered - 1) holes for both the True holder and the Bauer Vertexx holder are in the same place 2) LHS recommended we try the True holder before changing holder all his two piece orders the goalies have kept the True holder 3) the True holder is higher than the 2s skate but with the original Bauer blades if you where to install some Step blades on the Bauer skates the difference would be minor.

Now we wait!

See. I'm not interested in step steel whatsoever so, the Vertexx and a normal blade would suit me fine.

12 hours ago, Big2 said:

Oh forgot to add - True is coming out / so has come out with retail version of their skates!

Only catch skate size 6 or less !!

Well that's kinda pointless.

On 8/26/2018 at 5:12 AM, Big2 said:

Imperative - other than the fact that a 3mm blade needs to be sharpened with a sharper cut have you noticed a difference between a 3mm vs a 4 mm??

3mm I had was in the Bauer cowlings so I always had the Bauer “howl” when stopping. I like the forward pitch and height of the true holders the performance of the two piece cowlingless imo is much better than the vh with Bauer vertexx cowlings. 

Pickup my new True 2 piece skates on Sunday. I had a game on Monday night. Took a little bit to get used to the skates. As the game went on, I definitely got used to them.

I was able to get the order in before the cut off date by just ordering the boot.

Also I got the white toe cap too.

Awesome skates!

EC326A7F-DF9D-4923-9840-E8B6AE6A7242.jpeg

10 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

They want to have a regular holder of their own that they hope to sell replacement steel, like Bauer, Graf or CCM.

Kind of ironic. Step makes multiple different steels for the other companies (3mm, 4mm, blacksteel, Extreme). But when they make their own holder, that was smartly designed to accept 3mm or 4mm blades, they only offer a single option of blade (4mm with slightly increased height). It’s like they don’t care enough about their own holder. 

25 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

Kind of ironic. Step makes multiple different steels for the other companies (3mm, 4mm, blacksteel, Extreme). But when they make their own holder, that was smartly designed to accept 3mm or 4mm blades, they only offer a single option of blade (4mm with slightly increased height). It’s like they don’t care enough about their own holder. 

Are you referring to True or Step?

5 hours ago, BonesDT said:

Bones the Step holder is not a goalie specific holder and you bring up a good point why do they not offer 3mm blades for the True goalie skates, they certainly could?

Archived