True 1-Pc vs 2-Pc vs 2-Pc with Vertexx Holder

BonesDT

15 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

They want to have a regular holder of their own that they hope to sell replacement steel, like Bauer, Graf or CCM.

Bunnyman the companies above are not in the business of selling blades, not that they don't but Step is. All Step blades are sold through your local hockey shop not through any of the Mfg's above?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Bunnyman the companies above are not in the business of selling blades, not that they don't but Step is. All Step blades are sold through your local hockey shop not through any of the Mfg's above?

Yes, but I speak of the True/Step holder. When a skate comes with one style of holder, people tend to stay with that brand. Since it is True’s holder, they sell the spares. 

And if nothing is making that much sense, blame it on the anesthesia as it is still in my system. ?

5 hours ago, RichMan said:

Are you referring to True or Step?

From what I understand, the “True” holder is actually made by Step. Or at least a joint venture between True and Step. Thats why a lot of people call it the “True/Step holder”. That’s why some thing the decision to stop selling boot only was to help improve sales on Step blades that True might benefit from as well. 

Right now. The True/Step holder only offers a 4mm steel for goalies. The holder is the same as players too. The slot in the holder is actually 3mm. But the goalie steel Step provides for the holder is a 4mm steel that is narrowed to 3mm at the top to fit the slot. Step calls this a “Fat” steel, as in it fattens at the bottom. Theoretically, it would be very easy to offer a fully 3mm blade for goalies but they don’t right now. Not sure why, but I’m sure they eventually will one day. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Yep. 

Could you not use the player steel for the 3mm? It would be tall, but technically the same holder does all.

One day it will be simplified...

The player steel is rockered just like a player skate, so i doubt you’d want to play goal like that. The Step goalie steels designed for the True holder is built up on the front and rear of the blade so it is flat like a goalie blade. This is how they are able to use the same holder for players and goalies. They do not make a flat 3mm goalie blade yet for the True holder.

2 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

The player steel is rockered just like a player skate, so i doubt you’d want to play goal like that. The Step goalie steels designed for the True holder is built up on the front and rear of the blade so it is flat like a goalie blade. This is how they are able to use the same holder for players and goalies. They do not make a flat 3mm goalie blade yet for the True holder.

I was being a bit facetious. 

There is a lot of complication in something that is trying to be simple. True/Step really need to go back to the drawing board with that holder, IMO. 

They are trying to make this too complicated, and there are some of us that have gotten hurt in these cowling-free experiments. 

So I got fitted today!  3.5-4 weeks away!

I got further clarification from my LHS. The most True will do is not install their holder and put it in the box separately and if you want, not drill the True holder holes. I’m still not clear whether they will drill “Bauer holes” if you ask

True will NOT install the 3rd party holder even if u ship them to them. Your LHS has to do that.  

I know some say the True holes are the same as the Bauer holes but according to my LHS he doesn’t rely on it re-drilled holes that much and prefers to align each holder himself.  So if I definitely never want to use the True holders, he recommends asking True not to drill any holes.

By the way- for those of you who are pondering Overdrive Blades and are thinking of the VH/True one piece skate, you CAN install an OD blade on there. I will also have a DLC-like coating for the OD available soon.

If I could request more cladding, I may end up going one piece one day; however- SaveByRichter35 gave some GREAT news that prevents me from buying the one-piece VH/True skates, especially when I had heard from a decent source that Step steel for Vaughn cowlings was no more... 

@SaveByRichter35 Thanks for posting about the Vaughn runners and cowlings. Even though it cost me selling my stock steel, this is GREAT news for those of us who want the traditional cowling PLUS access to the FAR SUPERIOR Step steel. That stock steel is a last resort. @daffy It sucks that I still have my stock steel kicking about, but I am happy as heck that you will have FAR superior steel for your Vaughn cowlings! I will probably get my profiled straight and DLC-like coated for those last days of me having a cowling, LOL.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up my 2-pieces!  Wow!  Just trying them on to bake them felt instantly amazing!

So the LHS was tight on time to install the Bauer 3mm holders by the time I came, so I figured I might as well try them with the True/Step 4mm setup I had to pay for. My next skate is Sunday, I’m so excited. 

Just to clarify and correct my earlier posts. Now this is just coming from my LHS, but he’s been fitting VH skates for years and he knew these skates cold. So, all True will do at their factory, is not install their holder and if you also want, not drill their holder’s holes in the boot either. Then they throw the loose holders in the box for you. No discounts.

You or the LHS have to provide the Bauer/other competitor’s holders (& runners/blades) and the LHS has to drill the holes in the boot and install the new holders.  True won’t do any of that.   According to my LHS, although True’s holes are positioned the same, there are minute discrepancies between holes on all holders, so you’d likely need to re-drill. 

0E394E6E-0A0C-492E-8BA2-E8A51FE16806.jpeg

Archived