1st time on ice

48yroldbegining

Hey fellow net minders I can say that cause the 49 yr old beginner did his1st stick and puck let me say it was sat night big mistake all college and aaa junior guys all fast all can bring it didn’t save much but it was freakin awesome I mean freakin awesome took one of mask got a stinger on belly can’t wait to do it again signed up for clinic . Is there any hope for a stand up goalie any more or should I conform to the butterfly?

You popped your goaltending cherry!!!! Good onya!!!!

Even “stand up” goalies do some butterfly. You have quite a ways to go in your journey to find your style. Because I lost all of my fitness during my illness, I did not go down much, and got beat on super low shots. Again- this is your first time and you will have quite the learning curve.

You’re not beating yourself up over your performance and that is GREAT. Whilst it can be hard playing against college kids, your chances of improving are ten fold over playing against bender/beginners.

For me, I still go in the butterfly A LOT, and I mean A LOT. I’m gonna try to train myself to stay standing in shots that are above my shoulder or are at the shoulder, if they’re lower than that then I go in the butterfly. Hope that helps, and if you prefer playing standup that’s perfectly fine too...

then theres this guy. 

DDC3192A-D418-469B-AA7B-056F4B7C3041.jpeg

We actually have two stand-up goalies here. 1 who's been doing it since hockey was invented, so he's pretty good at it. The 2nd is a new guy who had both knee's replaced. I'm going to be honest: He gets beat a LOT. But he's new. And he's sticking with it.

In beer league, stand-up goalies can still perform. Bunnyman is right, they do drop into a butterfly at times. I've watched some fantastic kick saves from our stand-up goalie (he was on my team last fall and we took first).

The biggest thing I can say is to learn to move. I.E. Skate. You have to be mobile. Can't stand in one position and wait for the puck to hit you. YOU have to get in front of the puck.

Thanks I made a few skate saves that night and the guys were all giving me shit that you don’t see many skate saves and kick outs like I was doing the young guys said there’s a new way to play net . I think I’ll try to mesh both ways to fit me and what does new way to play net mean ?I think stop puck that’s the important part how you do it is irrelevant. Any thoughts. Not to mention these guys could put pucks anywhere they wanted to so  I threw my body at shots like Jim craig. Thanks to all of you tenders really I love your enthusiasm. I’ll let you know when the Bruins call me up lol , mike

08084DAD-1D09-4E63-BEB6-FAFA0780FF31.jpeg

FF25D793-BF11-43D8-B6EB-E3D20CDD72DE.jpeg

20 hours ago, 48yroldbegining said:

Thanks man , I can’t believe how good I felt out on ice even though I suck at it

I (think) I know exactly what you mean, as I am a 39 year old beginner myself. Terrible outings every time, and still skating off the ice with a goofy grin of satisfaction (or at least I was before my MCL tear) Where I am, there are lots of groups that are happy to have someone simply wearing goalie equipment in the vicinity of the net, so being shitty at it doesn't really seem to factor in as much as I thought.

As stated above though, the importance of looking good cannot be emphasized enough.

image.jpeg.f7e489e7d41f2225adddbd52c106d8cb.jpeg

Archived