First impression: Warrior R/GT SR catcher

RichMan

To start off, I'm calling this a "first impression" as I just received the glove today and won't have a chance to test it on ice for a good 3-4 weeks (unless I get a call-up of sorts ?).

It has been a long while since I've bought a glove, new. As I mentioned a couple times through out a few threads on here, the catcher is one of the pieces of equipment that I'm very picky about when it comes to fit. My currant glove is a Smith 1000 which I've owned for about 12-15 years now. Suffice to say that the glove is well broken in, it even closes on itself by simply flipping it over (hand out of it of course). It has served me quite well but I always found it to be a tad too big for my hand and a bit on the heavy side compared to the newer stuff out now. Although showing a good deal of wear and tare, the inside is not crusty or slimy, not a nasty smelly one filled with the ends of worms and...lets see who gets this one ;)

I thought it was time for something new and lighter, and I'm actually welcoming going back to a smaller glove (45") over my currant 48". Keep in mind that I'm old enough to have experience the Cooper/D&R gloves of old before newer companies decided to push the envelope. I figure it will give me better hand control and tracking/catching ability as I'd get from using my baseball glove. 

Being one to support the little guys in the industry, I had my eye on a couple of our ALL CANADIAN manufacturers, the least expensive one being Boddam, but even they were a tad over my budget. Being a Smith gear wearer and a fan of Pete's work, I remained intrigued about the GT line for a good while now. I read a many reviews and comments and it seemed proper that I not let a good deal go astray. I pulled out the plastic and pulled the trigger on the last one left in stock. I just hoped that it was the right choice.

And so I begin...

The box was light. I mean REALLY light. I was afraid they sent me a kids glove loll.

20180820_185317.thumb.jpg.2aa4a49d40681fd5071c833b1319e5c2.jpg

20180820_185436.thumb.jpg.c44e8462ff1c4c2bfb9900b66ef8f400.jpg

I took some side-by-side shots to compare both gloves. The difference isn't crazy but still noticeable enough.

20180820_190250.thumb.jpg.a5b0cac486e506120f33c327f1ea3414.jpg

20180820_190315.thumb.jpg.55076411cde719aaa14bad8d81c6525b.jpg

Now the surprising part is when I weighed the gloves. The 1000 glove came in at about 1034 grams. I'd be hesitant to say it's on point as I was having trouble getting it to sit still on the scale given how broken in it is and it sheer size. The GT glove came in at a mere 834 grams. I know it doesn't have 15 years of sweat and snow accumulated in it but that is still a big difference, especially when wearing it.  

20180820_191053.thumb.jpg.1d7446fda402c76455ac0f33cdb2ec52.jpg

20180820_191209.thumb.jpg.4d365e55daaf49300ccc4089ddaab51f.jpg

Now to get into the technical stuff. Like I stated above, I just got this glove so I can't say much about protection, but I can say this - comparing both gloves, even though my 1000 is a pro model, the palm is as thick. I have felt the occasional stinger in the 1000, so I can't see any less or more from the GT. The plastics and HD foams are abundant and well placed to accommodate anything Beer League can throw at me. I like that the basket isn't oversized as many gloves tend to be in most posts. It might just be a bunch of personal requests, but still, I think it sometimes gets out of hand. Could just be me.

The strapping is kind of...something like...feels more...well, instead of just your traditional over the fingers straps and a wrist strap to cinch in place, you still get the finger adjustments and a large flap to crosses over your hand and secures with a velcro strap to hold your hand down. I'm guessing it's the exact same thing as the G1/2/3/4 one but as described on their page, sewn into the glove (non removable). I don't mind that so much as I wanted a connection with the glove palm, and it does give me lots of wrist mobility, but I worry should I get a bullet or make a wind mill save and lose the glove in the process. We'll see how that goes.

The feel on my hand, angle and break and such is ok. It seems better each time I slip the glove on, so I guess I could get accustomed to it. The one part that does feel strange is the thumb. It's very stiff and aggressive. I do have an injured thumb that isn't helping much when opening/closing the glove. Even though it feels game ready, It's nowhere near my 1000 and it's to be expected for a while. Even my son mentioned the thumb issue when trying the glove on. (just for reference, he's 24)

The backhand protection is HUGE without looking like it's too much. Should come in handy for PUs and wrap-arounds.

Finally, I chose the classic model in red cause I figured it looks good, simple, fits well with my HABS affiliation, my goalie coaching business colourway, and the regular team I've been playing with for the past 4 years (Calgary Flames colours).

Once I get some ice time in, I'll add more to this post and hopefully by then I might have the matching blocker and pads ?

Congrats on the new glove! 12+ years is definitely high time (!) Usually by the 3-4 year mark I change them out. You didn't try the glove on in a store or something first? I'd be afraid to buy a glove blind. Are you going with Warrior again for the blocker and leg pads? I tried on some RGT leg pads, and liked it alot from the knee down, but just found the thigh-rises to be kind of stiff and banging into each other. But I was just carpet-flying in the store, maybe if I demoed them on the ice for a while it would be different, IDK. 

For now, I really like the SubZero2 gloves I have,  and bought a backup pair on clearance last year, so I'm good to go for a while :) 

Hey Erik, what`s up bro!

The only Warrior glove I had tried on at a shop was the G3. It felt kinda fine, but the break is slitely different from the GT. I was really aiming for lite and affordable. At $240+tx free shipping, I had to give it a try. I`m not a 100% sold on it yet and my friggin thumb isn`t helping matters either. The bottom joint is tender and pops now and then. It`s definitely affecting my grip and strength. I started doing exercises and rubbing it with arnica gel and essential oils to help in the healing process.

If I decide to keep this glove, I will follow with the rest of the SR GT set to match. What I think would bother me most with the pads isn`t the thigh rise but the strapless feature in general. Just 2 large velcro attachments seem weird but most peeps say it works, so. Too bad we can`t option for straps. If I could by a pro custom version set, it`s definitely something I`d inquire about.

Yeah, 12 years is long but I don`t have the kind of coin at the moment to have that much freedom and fun. Looking to make that change VERY soon ?

8 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Congrats on the new glove! 12+ years is definitely high time (!) Usually by the 3-4 year mark I change them out. You didn't try the glove on in a store or something first? I'd be afraid to buy a glove blind. Are you going with Warrior again for the blocker and leg pads? I tried on some RGT leg pads, and liked it alot from the knee down, but just found the thigh-rises to be kind of stiff and banging into each other. But I was just carpet-flying in the store, maybe if I demoed them on the ice for a while it would be different, IDK. 

For now, I really like the SubZero2 gloves I have,  and bought a backup pair on clearance last year, so I'm good to go for a while :) 

R/GT pads are still stiffer above the knee than what the "traditional" marketing describes. You aren't getting a double break velocity here. Think single break Eflex.

9 hours ago, RichMan said:

?

Now to get into the technical stuff. Like I stated above, I just got this glove so I can't say much about protection, but I can say this - comparing both gloves, even though my 1000 is a pro model, the palm is as thick. I have felt the occasional stinger in the 1000, so I can't see any less or more from the GT. The plastics and HD foams are abundant and well placed to accommodate anything Beer League can throw at me. I like that the basket isn't oversized as many gloves tend to be in most posts. It might just be a bunch of personal requests, but still, I think it sometimes gets out of hand. Could just be me.

The strapping is kind of...something like...feels more...well, instead of just your traditional over the fingers straps and a wrist strap to cinch in place, you still get the finger adjustments and a large flap to crosses over your hand and secures with a velcro strap to hold your hand down. I'm guessing it's the exact same thing as the G1/2/3/4 one but as described on their page, sewn into the glove (non removable). I don't mind that so much as I wanted a connection with the glove palm, and it does give me lots of wrist mobility, but I worry should I get a bullet or make a wind mill save and lose the glove in the process. We'll see how that goes.

Protection will be fine. I've had mine since release, the only stingers I get are the are the break at the index finger knuckle. That only occurs when the glove has been used often and hasn't had a proper amount of time to fully dry and from Junior B players. You'll be OK ;)

The strapping will take some getting used to. Trust me, the glove isn't going anywhere and I'm a guy who likes a looser feeling on his glove hand.

11 hours ago, RichMan said:

The box was light. I mean REALLY light. I was afraid they sent me a kids glove loll.

THIS.

I tried on a G4 recently and it was hands down the softest and lightest mitt I've ever felt. Snapped shut right off the shelf, and felt like I was wearing nothing.

Warrior is coming in hot right now, love what these guys are doing.

• 3 weeks later...

SHORT UPDATE:

I had my first game (shinny) of the season tonight (2 hours :S). I gave the glove a try and I SWEAR it felt like I had nothing on my hand. Holy light Batman!!! I didn't face any serious bombs but the dozen or so shots I got, I felt no more than some vibrations on my hand if it hit my palm, and the basket pretty much ate up everything I caught properly. The way the velcro sling cradle's over the top of my hand, the glove felt snug and secure and gave me plenty of wrist mobility. Protection was perfectly fine for a senior non-pro glove. All the flapping I've been doing with it around the apartment for the past 2 weeks helped make it more pliable and comfortable.

As I might of mentioned before, I was strongly considering the Boddam Refuze glove if I didn`t like the GT (it could still happen if budget permits), but I think it will do for now. All I need to do is find a way to purchase the remainder of the set, blocker and pads.

One thing I found is how messed up my timing was due to how friggin`light it is. This glove is worth a try if you want new/modern and on a budget.

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

@RichMan I was considering the senior stuff for all but the glove; you seem to indicate that this would be good despite it being senior. I am just afraid of getting one of those shots that in a pro glove, your hand feels like it could come off. Could you report how a friggin’ BOMB feels like in this glove?

Well, to put it into perspective - I occasionally face Midget level, ex Junior level and longtime players/heavy snipers. We`re not talking Al Iafrate or Zdeno Chara like shots. More so 75-80mph max shots, and that`s when all the planets are aligned and the Universe is glorious lolll. The glove I`ve been using for the past 10+ years has been a Smith1000. It wasn`t practice palm, I believe simply game ready. I got them (catcher/blocker) off a NCAA goalie who barely used them. Now Pete`s gloves, when he operated his own independent brand, they were all pro models. Over the years, I HAVE felt some stingers here or there. It happens regardless. The shots I faced last night were nothing worthy of pro or semi-pro, nor junior level shots. The biggest test will be when I get called up to sub for my Thursday bunch which is packed with said group mentioned in the top of this paragraph. Then I`ll will be able to give this glove`s protection level a better assessment. 

I can still recall the pain on some shots I caught with my Cooper GM glove of the `70s and then with my Eagle TT10 in the 2000something. I can count on one hand (no pun intended) how many times I`ve had a bruised or sore finger/palm because of a bullet I didn`t catch properly. Shit happens. 

Bottom line, if I could buy the pro version, it will be a custom set. The way gear is now, our pro stuff from back in the day pales in comparison to the senior stuff out now. My hopes of getting picked up by a pro team at any level are pretty much faded at this point of my life (turning 50 in November) lolll. If you`re playing regular Beer League and not Div.1-2 (and even so), you should be more than fine. In saying this, I have done extensive research and bugged A LOT of people (sorry Pete :$) about the senior GT for that exact reason, protection. I can`t compare to other brands of the same level, but I`m content for now. Durability issues might be my only downfall as the quality materials do differ from senior to pro.

Hope this helps you some :) 

• 1 month later...

Time for a short update. I've had about 6-8 ice sessions with my trapper and here's what I think:

1- the glove has broken in some more but is still not butter yet. Surprisingly thick for a sr glove.

2- Although I've managed to catch a few good ones, I'm getting lots of pop-outs. The plastic wrist/thumb/palm part is pretty dominant and doesn't necessarily funnel pucks into the pocket like most reviews pretend. Lets see a while more if I can get a hang of it.

3- Still having some issues with the thumb angle. I'm thinking it's just how my hand is built. Don't think I'll ever get 100% comfy with that.

4- The hand strapping is so well thought out (as I was pointed out on here) and gives me so much wrist mobility. Definitely something other companies need to take note of.

5- This glove is CRAZY light!! It feels like I'm wearing nothing. Hasn't made me flash the leather any better yet but, it's a coming, watch me ;) 

If this glove is any indication of what the GT blocker and pads are, I'm anxious :D . I'm just wondering if I can handle a strapless leg pad.

1. That thickness feeling will go away eventually. Comparing my trapper with one in the store, that THICC feeling is immediately apparent in the new glove.

2/3. It's definitely a different feel for a glove at a 70 degree closure. I've heard of many guys just not being able to get used to it or liking it. Hell, I'm pretty sure lots of guys loved the pads but used the G3/G4 gloves instead because of the catcher.

13 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

1. That thickness feeling will go away eventually. Comparing my trapper with one in the store, that THICC feeling is immediately apparent in the new glove.

2/3. It's definitely a different feel for a glove at a 70 degree closure. I've heard of many guys just not being able to get used to it or liking it. Hell, I'm pretty sure lots of guys loved the pads but used the G3/G4 gloves instead because of the catcher.

Having the chance to test a 60 degree G3, let alone G4, is slim at best unless I ordered one. The insert would certainly add a little bit more cushion in the palm. 

Did or do you get a lot of pop-outs with yours?

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Having the chance to test a 60 degree G3, let alone G4, is slim at best unless I ordered one. The insert would certainly add a little bit more cushion in the palm. 

Did or do you get a lot of pop-outs with yours?

Nah, compared to my lt90 I was using before, my catching game just improved considerably.

Archived