Options for Carrying Your Goalie Pads

Adam Cooper

Great shares guys!  @creasecollector You are right. Just not the same trying to use elastic straps versus nylon/leather straps to carry your pads.  I should have highlighted that option.  

@coopaloop1234 nice mod with the Warrior pads. That looks like a great option. @bunnyman666 same goes for you. I can’t sew so power to you and your webbing. @Lucky Pucker that’s quite the bag. I used to have one of those for my other gear and had to sell it as it was just too big and heavy to lug down to my basement.  But nice option to strap them on the outside. Agree to others comments that it it’s a very pricey option. 

Thanks for continuing to share your pics. This is a topic that really does have many options. 

I always thought people just used the top straps to carry their pads over their shoulder. Didn’t realize people have been using the bottom of the pads to connect. But what do I know? Any time I tried carrying the pads over my shoulder I hated it. I keep everything in the bag. I feel like every option we have to carry our stuff is not great. If only we could have all of our stuff in a bag levitating and following behind us. 

Show us a pick of your Backpack.  Love to see how you pack all your gear and how the pads fit as well.  I'd love to see more shares on how folks pack their goalie bags for maximum efficiency.  I still can't figure out how I should organize mine.

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Passau backpack bag... I've even gotten compliments from skaters on how smart the bag is

3 hours ago, Adam Cooper said:

Show us a pick of your Backpack.  Love to see how you pack all your gear and how the pads fit as well.  I'd love to see more shares on how folks pack their goalie bags for maximum efficiency.  I still can't figure out how I should organize mine.

Ask and you shall receive... Here is a quick rundown:

First off... this thing is MASSIVE... I came from wheel bags previously (old TPS Bag, then a Flite Wheel bag and finally a Frontier).  It comes at a premium price but it is worth every penny.

It comes with compartments for your mask and skates:

IMG_20180912_141959.thumb.jpg.d31efd698fc153c403f41a45d358f804.jpgIMG_20180912_142037.thumb.jpg.608fc1070bda496b453f613f415f1359.jpg

I place my pads in first (33+1.5 RGT Pros) on the sides, inner gusset down.  I put my Warrior knee pads inside the leg channel.  Next is my clothes and jersey.  They get tucked at the bottom between the leg pads.:

IMG_20180912_142204.thumb.jpg.b4dece9237abf1c5c9d97d8ffdde8ea6.jpg

Glove and blocker go at the opposite end of the mask/skate compartments:

IMG_20180912_142258.thumb.jpg.7f3745ada75c623efd95a0c6f4361590.jpg

Finally my CCM Pants and GT Pro chest go on top:

IMG_20180912_142438.thumb.jpg.5b196b53b34a6e767cc95bd4bf19b481.jpg

Its that simple!  Easy to carry, load/unload from my SUV... no zero durability or workmanship issues.  Passau makes a quality product.  I have removed the shower bag (Passau has since discontinued this item with the bag).  I play so close to home I prefer to take my post game shower there.

IMG_20180912_142616.thumb.jpg.7af0742b44ea321ee26068f8e9979b6d.jpg

It sure has changed. Goalies love their gear and yes many of us are obsessed with it. It can truly be a hobby for many of us. 

I admit that I’m one of them. When I was a player playing out I was never like this. I think it’s a mix of wanting to continually improve as a goalie, wanting to look great with the latest gear and designs, and being a gear nerd having stuff that gives me an edge. It’s fun reviewing, analyzing and obsessing over what the pros have and saving up for what you can one day get. 

I think that’s why goalies are so much ahead of players with technology innovations in gear.  If they make better sticks then we have to review everything. 

• 2 months later...

Moving from V6 to VE8 pads I realized I now had a carrying dilemma with the new pads lacking thigh straps , buckles,  or any rigid non-elastic straps.

Did a few tests of a few ideas and found a winner.   I had an old shoulder strap from a Graf bag with a nice padded slider.  Took that strap,  added climbing carabiners on both ends, closed the Professor strap on both pads, shoulder strap through those , and voila.   Works like a charm.  The Graf strap is plenty long enough to sling over my shoulder. 

20181117_220313.jpg

20181117_220340.jpg

20181117_220355.jpg

Archived