2018/2019 Beer League Discussion

coopaloop1234

So with the 2018/2019 winter season upon us, why not have a catch-all thread to harbour all discussion/venting/crying/boasting?

I'll start. Winter season is starting up and while I've got two teams set, I'm being asked to fill in for a couple to start the year. Some of these are opposing teams in the same div too.

Nothing like playing for the enemy.

Untitled.thumb.png.698cd8ca3562fdfa02a52ceca316c7be.png

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Lost the spring/summer season championship last week on Monday 8/27.  First game of the fall season is this Saturday night against my old team.  Love those quick turnarounds.

The two main leagues here have offset schedules. The main league I play out of ends their spring season at the end of July, the other one ends it at the end of August.

It's pretty neat being able to play in four different playoffs in a span of 4 months. (and not so neat not winning any of 'em)

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The two main leagues here have offset schedules. The main league I play out of ends their spring season at the end of July, the other one ends it at the end of August.

It's pretty neat being able to play in four different playoffs in a span of 4 months. (and not so neat not winning any of 'em)

That's a lot of hockey.  I miss that.  I miss playing on multiple teams having multiple games per week.  I just don't have the time and money to do it anymore.

9 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's a lot of hockey.  I miss that.  I miss playing on multiple teams having multiple games per week.  I just don't have the time and money to do it anymore.

Because you live in an area that requires the goalies to pay full price.

See, that's dumb.

Either that or you're terrible and the only way you could convince the guys to keep you was to pay your share. :P

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Because you live in an area that requires the goalies to pay full price.

See, that's dumb.

Either that or you're terrible and the only way you could convince the guys to keep you was to pay your share. :P

Definitely the first one, could be partly the second one too though :idk:
It costs almost $400/player/season here depending on how many players we have.  Combine that with having a 13 month old and a soul sucking wife and I am stuck playing with only one team unless I get asked to fill in lol.

In between seasons right now and with the holiday here weekend pick up games were cancelled.  No hockey for me this week has got me feeling enraged.

I found out my team is changing jerseys and names from our affiliation with a sponsor ending.

Thought I could lobby for a name/colors to match my new gear, but my captain already made the deal otherwise.  

Now I'll have navy blue/sky blue/ white gear with LA Kings jerseys. Could have been a LOT worse.

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

In between seasons right now and with the holiday here weekend pick up games were cancelled.  No hockey for me this week has got me feeling enraged.

I found out my team is changing jerseys and names from our affiliation with a sponsor ending.

Thought I could lobby for a name/colors to match my new gear, but my captain already made the deal otherwise.  

Now I'll have navy blue/sky blue/ white gear with LA Kings jerseys. Could have been a LOT worse.

Have you seen my pictures in the show off your action photo thread?  I feel your pain my friend.  I'm the fucking captain of my team and I couldn't even get a jersey design to match my gear lol. 

26 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Have you seen my pictures in the show off your action photo thread?  I feel your pain my friend.  I'm the fucking captain of my team and I couldn't even get a jersey design to match my gear lol. 

Yeah, you in that green jersey is so bad it's good , though :)

38 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Get married, give it a try.  You'll love it.

Recently engaged, I'll find out soon enough.

33 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Because of my shift work schedule I play mostly pick up and ASHL league fill in.  Hoping for a regular gig if I can get off shift in Jan.  

Haven't strapped on the pads since spring...

I feel you guys. Used to be on shift work myself till I got myself back into white collar work.

I just barely played hockey for a bit while I was doing it. It was too tough to commit/

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Recently engaged, I'll find out soon enough.

I feel you guys. Used to be on shift work myself till I got myself back into white collar work.

I just barely played hockey for a bit while I was doing it. It was too tough to commit/

I'm lucky that we're allowed to swap shifts and also allowed to come in up to one hour early for each other so I am usually able to fix any conflicts my work schedule has with my hockey schedule.  

This is the first time probably since I started playing that I haven't had a team to play on during the winter.  I have one steady Sunday night pick-up game that is medium calibre at best, but at least it's consistent icetime.  Then I'll supplement in some pickuphub.net (local service) games which should be a higher quality of game.  Hoping to sprinkle in some private coaching sessions and treat this as more of a development year.

The leagues around me all have their issues, but none of them are bad enough to not want to play, so I still miss the competitive nature of team games.  I am subbing for one team, but they're not very good and I might have the same issue I had the 3 years before last year, where playing on a bad team in a bad division just kills your fundamentals.  I don't HAVE to win all the time, but when your team just hangs you out to dry and doesn't do anything to try harder to score some goals, it's pretty demoralizing. 

At least I'll get some exposure in a new league and try and find some other contacts.

9 minutes ago, Flyers27 said:

Sure do! They were nice enough to take me on after years off the ice. You are obviously familiar with them. Who do you mainly play for?

This year will be:

Matcon (div 4)
Chubby Beavers (Div 7)
Back up goalies for Tri-City Brewers and Moose HC (Div 5)

I've played a summer season with Wolfgang, beat them in the finals and used to play online with Bretton/Kevin and played as a kid with Trevor.

So yea, kind of familiar with the team.

Archived