2018/2019 Beer League Discussion

coopaloop1234

5 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Do you still play on this team?  Still use those jerseys?

Yea its always been like that for as long as I can remember.  We don't pay for fill in duty or pickup games but league teams its very rare that you get to play for free.

Unless my second comes out with a twin I will never have 3.  2 is my limit, and that's only because I don't want my son to be a lonely only child.  

Haha nah.  She's really not bad at all, I make it sound much worse than it is.

One company bought out all the rinks in Raleigh, next thing I know they want $20 per goalie for Stick & Puck, Pick-Up games, skills clinics, etc...OK, have fun shooting at posts then.  

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/5/2018 at 4:33 PM, itis121 said:

This summer I joined the ASHL. I got to pay half price but since I'm new to the league I got place into E division (individual team too). I ended up bringing my team to the championship just to be destroyed. 

My teammates asked me to play on their winter team so now I'm hyped. Even got to pick my Jersey number! Now I got to register for college intramurals when the time comes.

Same exact thing happened to me. Which team where you on? I might have played against you.

20 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Send me a pic of them. I'll ask the guys to see if they're interested.

Only the guys there from the start of the team of matching socks. (so 3 of us).

20 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'll take one when I get home from work but they look like this with more of a neon green.  Think Seattle Seahawks green
PHL_7.21.18 - ST vs KN-105.jpg

Dammit @coopaloop1234 I totally forgot to take a picture of the socks :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2018 at 11:02 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'll take one when I get home from work but they look like this with more of a neon green.  Think Seattle Seahawks green
PHL_7.21.18 - ST vs KN-105.jpg

Cool pic.

Your gear and positioning look pretty rad. Uniforms are swell to say the least.

Opposing player at the back door is rocking some sweet Eagle mitts, all black skates and a 1X lite twig. Same setup my pee wee playing son has.

Looks like the puck is slipping behind you (can see it by your right knee). Two defenders there... hey, it's men's league!

Not a good start for the team and I. I have battered goalie syndrome right now. I don't feel in synch with my defense. They aren't getting support from our forwards either. We battled back, but it was too late. I also played goalie for the team I skate out on. The first shot was a 3-on-0 and I hesitated on coming out of the net because I was thinking of knocking the net off Leggio style. Either way, I have given up too many goals for just two games (13), yet not a single one has been a direct shot or even a breakaway goal. Regardless, I don't feel "on".

Feels like I've had this funk come on since the first handful of games I returned from my groin injury in January. Don't know what it is anymore. I have a few solid stretches here and there, but I always feel just kinda off when I mentally review my games afterwards. I can't get comfortable in any of my gear. I can't get into a lot of these games the last few sessions, even after pumping myself full of caffeine. I get pissed after games, but not in them. It's like I'm on autopilot. I don't know if it's because I take shit way too seriously, or being a bit out of shape, or what. It's like I'm missing something.

@Moose75 Don't focus on it too much. Try to relax and have some fun. The harder you try to grab control, the less fluid you're going to be. We've all been there, I faced a good portion of last season like that. Keep at it.

As for me, decent start to the year. Matcon and Beavers are my actual teams, I'm just the backup for the Moose and Cats.

Nothing like getting smoked in div 8 hockey. God can it ever be frustrating to play behind. Thankfully, the guys make it worth it.

Untitled.png.d13b26f55549338efdb9b9dae582870d.png

The team I play with regularly has had a good start. Some of the guys have improved, the new faces have been solid and the all around team play has been great. All this means we will get moved up though, as we play in the bottom division. Still, it's been cool to see the improvement, and it's nice to be 3-0.

The team I sub for has not been so fortunate. In the 2 games I've played we've had 8 skaters, which has not fared well vs 3 lines. GA is 6 there, but when I'm facing around 50 shots, from good spots, I'm not too upset. Mostly. 

I'm having a blast in my 2nd year back after being away forever, and am happy each time I get on the ice. Working in the new pads has been a bit of a process, but I'm not complaining!

1 minute ago, Flyers27 said:

The team I play with regularly has had a good start. Some of the guys have improved, the new faces have been solid and the all around team play has been great. All this means we will get moved up though, as we play in the bottom division. Still, it's been cool to see the improvement, and it's nice to be 3-0.

The team I sub for has not been so fortunate. In the 2 games I've played we've had 8 skaters, which has not fared well vs 3 lines. GA is 6 there, but when I'm facing around 50 shots, from good spots, I'm not too upset. Mostly. 

I'm having a blast in my 2nd year back after being away forever, and am happy each time I get on the ice. Working in the new pads has been a bit of a process, but I'm not complaining!

Wolf Gang has always kind jumped between bottom and second bottom.

My buddy who just got into Goaltending is going to be playing for the Express this Friday. He's kind of hoping to get a full time spot.

Ahh okay cool. Express are a good group, they have a good captain. Their attendance has just been a bit low, but I know they are solid when they get their regulars out. They won their division last fall. We may end up in their division now though so my opportunities to play with them may be less. 

I hope you don't mind but I used that pic you took for my profile. Only one I've got haha.

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Wolf Gang has always kind jumped between bottom and second bottom.

My buddy who just got into Goaltending is going to be playing for the Express this Friday. He's kind of hoping to get a full time spot.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:10 AM, MTH said:

Cool pic.

Your gear and positioning look pretty rad. Uniforms are swell to say the least.

Opposing player at the back door is rocking some sweet Eagle mitts, all black skates and a 1X lite twig. Same setup my pee wee playing son has.

Looks like the puck is slipping behind you (can see it by your right knee). Two defenders there... hey, it's men's league!

Thank you and yes that was indeed a back door goal.  Won that game 3-2 in a shootout.

First game with the new squad yesterday. I've been told that I flop in net by previous teammates, but this time the whole team agrees (Don't mean to brag but I consider myself to be a modern day Hasek). The thing that disturbed me the most was the fact that all four of my D-men don't understand what "man front" or "backdoor" means. So I assume they think I'm crazy shouting whenever the puck is in our zone or deaf and didn't hear a thing I said.

• 2 weeks later...

Our first game of this season was in our local WHL arena.  It's so freaking exciting and fun playing there.  It's a bit warm due to the lights, but it was an awesome game.  We lost 3-1, but I played well.

Our team has no scorer and I have to be the best player on my team, but it's a fun crew.

On 9/19/2018 at 9:33 PM, itis121 said:

First game with the new squad yesterday. I've been told that I flop in net by previous teammates, but this time the whole team agrees (Don't mean to brag but I consider myself to be a modern day Hasek). The thing that disturbed me the most was the fact that all four of my D-men don't understand what "man front" or "backdoor" means. So I assume they think I'm crazy shouting whenever the puck is in our zone or deaf and didn't hear a thing I said.

They're going to shank you in the shower.

I ended up getting back full-time with the team I played with last winter, then suffered a grade 2 ankle sprain in my baseball playoffs after the first league game.  

Got back last night after missing 2 games (3ish weeks), had a brace on my ankle that is designed to be worn inside a shoe/skate, but it was still too bulky and was awkward.  Shuffles, bflys, general movement was off all night.  Probably won't need the brace next week, so should be more comfortable then.

In the 2 games I've played we're 1-1 against 2 of the top teams.  5-3 win and a 6-3 loss.  Even with my ankle the way it was, I actually didn't give up any of the kinds of goals I figured I would.  I still make kick saves with my left pad, most of the goals were defensive breakdowns/just really nice puck movement from the other team.  Also a couple of point shots where a guy does a fly-by screen or just waves his stick at the puck.

Looking forward to getting my movement back on track. The first 4 games are just evaluation games to separate the league into divisions, so meaningful games start next week.

I'm back into the swing with winter season starting last month.  The team has played 3 games, I've been in for 2.  1-2 so far, both losses were 6-1 and the win was 7-0.  Goal fest every game, but I'd rather be on the positive side.  The win was my first game with this team, which was a nice start.  Missing our best forward last game kinda hurt a little, but we were outplayed the entire game.  Those games I feel like I have to do everything and I end up doing more harm than good.  Just need to calm down and do what I am supposed to do instead of worrying about every goal against.

I was also off the ice for about 4 months with sciatica earlier this year, and the strength in my left leg is still only about 80% pre-condition, so hopefully by the new year I'll be pretty much back to 100% which will help.  We have 7 evaluation games (1 against each team) and then trades may happen.  Last year there were none and I was behind the worst team.  This year we are bouncing around between good and bad so much I'm not sure what will happen, but hopefully the guys get it together sooner rather than later.  I'm not keen on another "get shelled every game" season.

I've given up 21 goals so far in 4 games...only 3 of them were clear-sighted shots. The rest are breakdowns or lack of coverage, or weird men's league bounces. Not good either way. Even more absurd - Somehow I'm still in the top 5 of goaltending in the tier. 

My team and defense is used to the old me that was good enough to bail them out when they took risks or played sloppy in our end. After two consecutive groin injuries last summer and a general decline in my game (for many reasons) they are more under the microscope with each mistake now.

I am currently in my third season of a "draft league" and second with the same team. So they like me enough to keep me around. Last season we went to the championship, but lost. This season through 4 games, we are in 2nd place in our division and I am currently ranked 2nd in GAA. 

I have been subbing around just to get more ice time.

Got to see a first last night in 23 years playing hockey.

We were playing a really fun , tight game with play to my right in the corner. 

The puck and the skaters end up up-ice and one of my D starts yelling at me and doing a strange thing with his stick. It was evident he was struggling to push something. 

A $1 bill fell out of someone's gear, ha. So he pushed it towards me and I put it in the net.

Next whistle,  I get the ref to come over and I fish it out for him. His response:

"Haha. Are you serious? Where'd that come from?"

(It fell out of someone's gear.)

"Awesome.  Thanks. Quick whistles for you pal."

So funny.  We won 5-3, I made 39 saves.

Archived