Pad curvature question

A10airknight

So I have worn my new Vaughn pads (xfp) on the ice about 10 times, and Ive noticed that the right pad is starting to curve in at the top, while the left has remained straight. Since this is the first new set of pads that I have ever owned, I was wondering if this is normal, or if it is something to be concerned about. I was also curious if this os just the pad breaking in, and if it will settle or continue to get worse. Pics are below. The straight pad is first, the curved one is second. Thanks!

20180904_225131.jpg

20180904_225102.jpg

26 minutes ago, A10airknight said:

So I have worn my new Vaughn pads (xfp) on the ice about 10 times, and Ive noticed that the right pad is starting to curve in at the top, while the left has remained straight. Since this is the first new set of pads that I have ever owned, I was wondering if this is normal, or if it is something to be concerned about. I was also curious if this os just the pad breaking in, and if it will settle or continue to get worse. Pics are below. The straight pad is first, the curved one is second. Thanks!

It's normal and won't affect anything. It's mostly due to breaking in and leaning on your pad while waiting for the play. My V4's did it, my R/GT's did it. Always on the right side as that's the side i end up leaning on.

If anything, it can be a benefit as now the thighrises are slightly offset and will bump into each other less while skating.

I do not believe this is your issue, but...

I purchased brand new Premier IIIs in 2013. They were old stock - likely due to the navy, red, white color combination that was not (is not?) popular at the time. Skated in them right away and was pleased. I noticed a bit of under-rotation with the left pad and began to investigate different strapping arrangements and such. After about a month, I noticed that the left pad had a twist along the Z axis (looking straight down as in your pictures) such that the top of the pad was facing inward and the toe was facing outward. What in the hell?!? This is a Lefevre made-in-Canada pad, all the bells and whistles, blah blah blah...

I took some measurements and note the differences between the right and left pad. I marked landmark areas that I believed to have suspect orientation. I began to understand that the face and back 'skins' of the left pad where sewn together with an offset of nearly 1". I removed the entire face of the pad, removing stitches and laces and got the whole left pad down to the foam core structure. Without the skin, you could clearly see there was no longer any twist. I degree'd the face skin about 1" relative to the back skin along the perimeter of the binding. I began stitching everything back together. When I began threading the lacing back into the pad, I immediately noticed that the holes for the laces lined up front and back, making the lacing portion very easy to do. Once finished, there was no indication that I had pulled the whole works apart - I was very fortunate and I took my time. The best part - the twist vanished. Made in Quebec, fixed in 'merica.

I still have the pads... and an ex-wife. Good riddance to both.

If you're truly concerned, contact Vaughn or a repair shop. If you are a sadist, try your own hand at the repair.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:36 AM, seagoal said:

A pic of your stance while waiting would probably explain it.

Do you lean forward, as though you were kicked in the stomach?

Firstly, thanks to all of you for responsing!

Seagoal, I will try to find a photo for you. But yes, your description fits my waiting position. Ive also noticed that since these pads are taller than my old ones, i occasionally butterfly on accident onto my stick. Guess which pad hits the stick more?

• 3 months later...
On 9/12/2018 at 8:31 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Who would ever do that? 

Oh... 

IMG_20171221_121349_427.jpg

Leaning on your pads as shown in your picture while the play in on the other side of the ice, will it help create the pad to curve towards the five hole when in butterfly to help eliminate any openings in the five hole? like the picture I have attached? I have the CCM eFlex II 860 pads -step below pro. Not sure if getting pads to curve at the top of the pad is due to the type of foams you have to ask for in getting a custom pro pad, or if this is something that can be done with stock retail pad? I have used my pads for 2 years and dont have as much curve as I want at the top to help me close the butterfly more like the attached image. The attached image is not me but what I want to achieve with how the pads look like a perfect U at the 5hole.

Capture.PNG

Archived