Reidic mask foam question

RichMan

To all you the foam techies, and those familiar with Reidic masks, what type of heat moldable foam is the lining kit called exactly? I can't find anymore leads on Reidic company and suppliers. Because of this, I might have to create my own replacement foam to suit my needs.

Anyone able to chime in?

From some digging on GSBB: 

The mask padding is EVA foam, which is thermomoldable. Several mask manufacturers, including ReidiC use EVA foam. 

Below is a series of posts from two different threads regarding the use of EVA foams in masks.

Originally posted by c0nquistad0rian View Post
For what it's worth:

EVA (according to mcmaster):
Tensile Strength Range 6 to 50 psi
Tensile Strength 50 psi
Stretch Limit Range 201 to 250%
Stretch Limit 220%
Density Range .4 to 5 lbs./cu. ft.
Density 2 lbs./cu. ft.
Foam Structure Closed Cell
Texture Type Fine Cell
Foam Firmness Soft
Firmness, psi 5 (25% Deflection)
Compression Recovery Good
Properties Oil Resistant and Abrasion Resistant and Tear Resistant and Impact Resistant and Weather Resistant and Chemical Resistant and Electrical Resistant

vs. Rubatex:

The Rubatex that is used in goalie masks is Vynil Nytrile 310V, according to one noted mask maker who has since unfortunately left this board. There isn't one with that name in the product guide on the Rubatex site linked below. But, There are 7 that are marked with the green background for "athletic padding." If anyone knows which one is commonly used in goalie equipment, that could be helpful. 

Rubatex.com - Rubatex International, LLC - PRODUCT SELECTOR GUIDE

I'm a maltese gel wearer, but I'd personally like to know the answer to this.

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
EVA is available in many densities according to the manufacturer. It has been used in three/four mask brands that I know of for the last 3-4 years. (I'll mention which brands later if it doesn't start a war). It's also thermo-formable - I make chin cups and chin-slings from it.

Is it safe - have you heard of any complaints about it from users of four mask brands over the last 3-4 years. I spoke to the manufacturer at a fair and they were displaying one of the (canadian) brands that use it and I was privelige to the testing data. Yes it's safe.

FD

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
All one needs to do is buy some EVA foam in 1/2 inch (or thicker if required) - 30-40 kgs per M3 and you've got your thermo remouldable liner.

Search for EVA FOAM suppliers on the net.

FD

McMaster.com sells EVA foam at a fairly cheap price. 2 lbs per cu. ft., which is about 32.5 kg per cu. meter. $7.32 for a 12" x 12" x 1/2" sheet.

Just a few follow up items, since I had been investigating this EVA stuff out of curiosity:

The warm up time for EVA is 1 minute per mm at 140 degrees C (or about 285 farenheit). 1/2" thickness is 12.7 mm, so 12-13 minutes on that.

On 9/9/2018 at 3:04 PM, RichMan said:
Just got confirmation from ProMask themselves that they have indeed bought Reidic and will be updating their website within the next 2 weeks :D

I just hope it's not overpriced.

I bought the last white foam locally from Ochsner Hockey a couple of years ago for $100. I think the new black foam cost about the same directly from Reidic.

7 hours ago, RichMan said:

Black foam?

Yea, their supplier of the white foam stopped, so they had to find another. I bought a black liner as a replacement for my old mask, but didn't like it. Then I bought a new Reidic in 2016 with the black liner already in it, and it was OK. Not sure why I didn't like the first one. Maybe I didn't mold it the right way or who knows. 

The new black foam doesn't have the felt lining that sticks to the velcro, so it just has velcro strips stuck on it. Some were not stuck on very good, so I hot-glued them myself to make sure they are on good.

Hmmm, I don't know if the quality went down on the foam, just something different. The black foam is a little softer and since both sides are smooth (the white foam had one side that would stick to velcro) the velcro has to be stuck on separately. 

Oh, and it's a different foam from the Wall W4. The W4 foam looks more like JOFA foam, little cubes, sort of. I just didn't like the fit of the W4, altho I didn't heat-mold so maybe that would have made a difference. Altho I didn't like the chin either, so maybe not. The W8/W10 is a different mask all together, different mold, foam, etc. I liked the W10 alot, fit me great :) 

I just threw a Maltese kit into my Wall W6H... feels great. Another option out there might be the ECO Foam from goalieparts.com. Appears to be very similar to Maltese but they claim it's ~15% lighter. Just had a buddy pick up a blue kit and I will say I definitely like the die cut backplate and forehead pieces in the ECO kit much more than just the strips you get from Maltese. 

48 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

You can heat mold mask foam?  I would assume using a blow dryer?  I wouldn't wanna put my mask in an oven.

The foam only goes in the oven, at low heat just to soften it up, kinda like a skate oven. When you take it out and put it back in place, you then set the mask to your face in the proper position and press against lightly to create the custom mold. As it cools it hardens up to its original state. Works great.

10 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Nice concept.  Guess you'd have to have removable foam for that.

Yea, it's attached with velcro. Works great. Reidic has been doing it since about 20 years, I never understood why it still hasn't caught on with other mask companies. Well, except Wall W4 which is the only other mask I know of aside from Reidic that has a velcro removable liner.

Archived