• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

I hate it when they do that, especially when its 48mos. 0% interest.  Nice kit....Collector Series?  You play left handed?

Thanks, and yes- Collector's. Bought two when Best Buy got out of the MI business. I did add a 14" floor tom and a 22" Gong bass (set up as a floor tom) a few years back.

I play left handed, as it inhibits drunk fools from asking to play my kit!

Man I want one so bad, but I don't think the wife would go for it unless I gave up hockey or sold something with a motor first.  Maybe I could talk her into a Ludwig Classic.  I love the bluesy sound...John Bonham is my hero, but unfortunately I play more like Patrick Carney.  Either way I enjoy that heavy hitting thump that just accents a blues guitar so well.  I've tried to get that sound out of my Tama's but its just not happening.

54 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

Man I want one so bad, but I don't think the wife would go for it unless I gave up hockey or sold something with a motor first.  Maybe I could talk her into a Ludwig Classic.  I love the bluesy sound...John Bonham is my hero, but unfortunately I play more like Patrick Carney.  Either way I enjoy that heavy hitting thump that just accents a blues guitar so well.  I've tried to get that sound out of my Tama's but its just not happening.

What heads are you using?

Evans just re-introduced their Hydraulic "oil filled" heads. That might give a nice, fat sound. What shell wood are your Tamas?

I have the Imperialstars which are 6-ply Poplar with Evans G2 heads.  I get a decent punch out of the heads but Poplar shells are definitely more on the bright side, so its tough getting that sound I want.  I end up having to muffle the hell out of the drum to avoid the bright resonance.  I knew the sound I wanted when I got them and thought I could get it through tuning, but really I should have spent the money and gone with Mahogany or even Maple.

Well, then you would want to go up a weight. Does Evans still have the Ebony heads? They might have a different name. Dammit! Somestimer's is VERY. frustrating!!! They are slightly heavier than G2 with a black coating.

Otherwise, you can always go Remo Pinstripe or the new Evans Oil-filled. 

This cymbal does not disappoint! I thought that I loved a 70s Zildjian Earth Ride with my complement of Colorsound cymbals. Paistes always go well with other Paistes. 

The beef of that Mega Ride bell can't be denied! The shoulder gives a nice ping with a bit of wash. And of course the Colorsound finish does it's thing- darker attack, slightly dry sustain and of course the beauty of the coloured finish! The one thing with Paiste is that their mid-line offerings have the same quality as their pro offerings, just have a few less steps in their manufacture. 

• 2 months later...

A little late to this thread, but fellow drummer here as well :) Ludwig Epic set-up with Sabian HHX cymbals. I LOVE those hydraulic heads from Evans, I use them with single ply Remos on the resonant side. Man, this gives me the itch to play again, I haven't set up my kit in awhile!

ludwig.png

I was considering selling my cymbals to get a new set, not crazy about the sound.  Need something brighter.  I don't know whether to use Ebay or Reverb.  Just sold my Les Paul Standard for $700, so I could afford some additions, but I'm in search of the perfect 22" scale guitar.  I have such small hands and little dexterity that even the LP was too big.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my L80 cymbals and mesh heads (Pearl- they be's cheaper!) and I am digging them!!!!! Using resonant heads makes them have some tone!

Now I need to see if the Gen16 direct souce pickups can be used without the processor; if they can, then this is great news!

Archived