General Equipment Tools?

goalie381

If this has been posted elsewhere, please point me in the right direction.

I'm new to the idea of modding/self maintenance of my equipment, and want to make sure I have the right tools. I'm sure some of this stuff is easily accessible at a fabric or craft store, but some guidance by those with experience would be great! A couple of things I need to mend include the palm of my Ritual G2 blocker (actually its near the thumb, its separating from the gusset). That could just be a heavier duty needle than a typical sewing kit has, but what about the thread?

The other part I'd like to fix with more than just super glue, is the binding around the toe of my Gnetiks. That seems a little more involved since its heavier duty string, and its going through "leather".

If there is a list of general tools for repair that can be compiled, that'd be a great start. Thanks so much to everyone in the community, it really is inspiring to see.

I use the heck out of my Awl for All. They sell them at the local hardware store - so it's cool for dudes.

Awl-for-All-Awl-Set.jpg

Comes with the waxed thread you'll need for all repairs. They have other colors and needles you can use. I use it for everything.

There are other awls like Speedy Stitch. They're good too.

Make a kit. Small tool box or whatever. I pick up stuff all the time. Get a good pair of scissors from the fabric store or whatever. I also use pliers a lot. I have a nice leatherman I usually carry everywhere. But any decent pair of needle nose pliers will be good.

I use cutting pliers too to cut string or whatever (they snip zip ties easily):

STY89-858.jpg

Curved upholstery needle: get it from Sara at PAW or Factory Mad. The bonus of buying the nice ones? You can sharpen the tip with a whet stone. 

Sail thread.

Speedy Stitcher, extra needles for that.

Nylon webbing. Buckles.

Super sharp shears for cutting leather. 

Hole puncher for leather.

Extra jenpro and 520 denier nylon, available either through Nash, Dennis or Sara. 

I would also get toe and thigh trims to keep around, Dennis or Sara can build you a couple of sets. You can either see about getting them to match your current pads or keep a couple of pair in black to match anything.

Elastic in different sizes.

Cord for repairs, etc. This would be the cord that assembles pads, gloves, etc. The brass needle is needed, as well.

Helmet parts: screws, nuts, snaps, etc. 

A nice little box to keep it all in. 

Most of what I am suggesting (except for the speedy stitcher) is only available through PAW or Factory Mad (and possibly Nash Sports). 

17 hours ago, goalie381 said:

Thanks for all of this, certainly will be a big help looking into repairs.

@bunnyman666, is there a specific reason to get the needles from Dennis or Sara, as opposed to something like this?

16 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I guarantee their needles are better. Been there, done that with crappy needles.

Yep, having a needle blow out on you when you are 20 stitches into a 50 stitch job is the absolute worst.
The cost difference is marginal.  You won't have to replace them as often.

5 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Yep, having a needle blow out on you when you are 20 stitches into a 50 stitch job is the absolute worst.
The cost difference is marginal.  You won't have to replace them as often.

Let alone it either a) not being NEARLY sharp enough or b) becoming duller than my jokes midway through the job.

Archived