Speedskin wear

Westcoast Tender

So when I ordered my eFlex III, I decided to go with speedskin, I’m now wishing I ordered regular jenpro.  I’ve used them less than 20 times and the knee wings already have wear.  You can see from the front picture they’ve barely been worn.  Anyone else having wear issues with speedskin?

I have already contacted the store I ordered from and CCM “extended” the warranty period but that doesn’t exactly translate to rebuilding them in jenpro.  

The last pictures show the knee wings on my eFlex I pads.  Four years old with more than 400 ice times on them and no wear.

Any suggestions as to what I could do or put on the pads to lessen the wear would be appreciated.

CF96A0FD-2275-4E39-825C-99C27278E532.jpeg

653B5A26-0283-4314-81E6-D52F61EA660E.jpeg

2615D369-0E91-47A1-A83C-BE47431B8135.jpeg

798517BB-ADFA-4FD2-B93C-49CA88D718F5.jpeg

West coast what a disappointment - expecting my sons Premier Pro all speedskin shortly!

Question(s)

Is that wear from sliding on the ice or do the pads rub onto anything else?

Are these Eflex pros or not and does anyone know if the quality of materials vary from pro to lower level pads - they have in the past to on the Jenpro?

Is that the only region where you have encountered wear?

The speedskin on my Eflex 3.9 has no sign of wear after at least 75 ice times. To be honest though, I'm not a huge fan of how it feels. Jenpro feels stronger, to me, and aesthetically, I prefer how it looks. It is hard to argue with the benefits though, so with my new set of Premier II, I still got the sliding surfaces done in speedskin. Only a handful of games in so far, but no wear. The wear on your Eflex 3 looks odd. 

Flyers-  thanks for your input

Tol all - I will know quickly if there are any issues with the durability of speedskin as soon as my son gets his set. He's on the ice 5/6 times a week!

i agree that something that is not normal on Westcoasts issue - also the wear seems to be on the edges and not on the sliding section!

Westcost with all do respect you seem to have a weird strapping setup, could this be the issue could they somehow be rubbing on your kneestaks?

8 hours ago, Westcoast Tender said:

I’m not sure how you determined I have a “weird” strapping setup, especially from one close up of the knee wing.  I use the stock strapping setup, so if rubbing is happening from the stock strapping,  CCM needs to change something on their end.

West - it's just that I am not used to seeing any leather straps other than at the foot. SORRY not intended to insult you!

No worries.  The eFlex are probably one of the last hold backs still using traditional strapping.  I wear my new eFlex 3 straps exactly the same as the original four year old ones with no wear.

When I first noticed the wear, the store I bought them in put some glue substance on to hopefully stop the wear.  It’s worn off now.

Anyone know of something else that might work?

5 hours ago, Westcoast Tender said:

No worries.  The eFlex are probably one of the last hold backs still using traditional strapping.  I wear my new eFlex 3 straps exactly the same as the original four year old ones with no wear.

When I first noticed the wear, the store I bought them in put some glue substance on to hopefully stop the wear.  It’s worn off now.

Anyone know of something else that might work?

It looks to me like the material underneath bunched up behind that wear point on the inside of the knee wing and block. 

You could try taking out the knee stack from the pad, removing the foam block and flipping the wing inside out to see if there’s excess bits of Speedskin/Nylon that was folded over.

Unfortunately, I haven’t found a glue that sticks well to Speedskin yet.  

Have you reached out to CCM directly? Extending the warranty doesn’t really do much if the pad looks trashed after a season  

On 9/16/2018 at 11:41 AM, Big2 said:

Max not sure that's the reason - NHL goalies can get new pads anytime they want

ik,  im sure they dont want to have to get new pads every few weeks from wear like what you have pictured. Maybe yours was a fluke set bc ive never seen anyone have your issue

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Westcoast Tender said:

CCM allowed the warranty claim.  Cam at the Hockey Shop was fantastic to deal with. The replacement pads...almost all Jenpro, just a little weave on the front.

D14A7184-1333-49F4-9B61-E6B1741311BE.jpeg

Good luck on the replacement set and sorry the first set didn’t work out. 

For what’s it worth, maybe putting a bit of super glue over the worn areas could have kept it from spreading 

4 hours ago, Flyers27 said:

Glad the hockey shop took care of you. Cam is an awesome guy to deal with. I think you may have just gotten a lemon set, my P2 sliding surface is speedskin and there isn't a hint of wear after at least 30 skates. New pads look nice 👍

Westcoast - also glad to hear that you where taken care off by CCM and the Hockey Shop FYI my sons set is 100% speedskin and there are no issues. Hes on the ice on average 6 times a week since the beginning of the school year

6 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Good luck on the replacement set and sorry the first set didn’t work out. 

For what’s it worth, maybe putting a bit of super glue over the worn areas could have kept it from spreading 

The Hockey Shop put some heavy industrial glue on the wear for me when I first noticed it.  Stayed on for a few skates, then wore off. I was surprised CCM warranty’d them as the warranty normally covers structural issues not wear isssues, but obviously very pleased they did.

1 hour ago, Westcoast Tender said:

The Hockey Shop put some heavy industrial glue on the wear for me when I first noticed it.  Stayed on for a few skates, then wore off. I was surprised CCM warranty’d them as the warranty normally covers structural issues not wear isssues, but obviously very pleased they did.

Thanks for the update 

I have 0 abnormal wear on my P2s. My only wear is on the top corner of the inner edge. I’ve had that every pad I’ve had for the last 5 years 

13 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

It’s because Lefevre doesn’t stock it. It’s a timing and inventory issue.

NHL guys can get 10 sets a season if they want. A little knee wing wear wouldn’t detour them. 

ya ik they get gear whenever they want but ive heard nhl goalies say they hate breaking them in. remember holtby said something abt doing just anything to break them in

29 minutes ago, Max27 said:

ya ik they get gear whenever they want but ive heard nhl goalies say they hate breaking them in. remember holtby said something abt doing just anything to break them in

It depends on the goalie. Some like their pads fresh and firm.

3 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Speedskin just noticed this on my P2s under the landing... would this be covered by some sort of warranty? Not a big deal but still.

20181127_122606.jpg

I noticed the wear after the 9th time I wore them, so my claim was well within the 90 day warranty period.  I think that’s the only reason they replaced them.  I was told wear is not usually covered but because it happened pretty much right away they did.

Archived