"Drunk Panda" Technique?

estogoalie

...ok, now that I have your attention, there is no "Drunk Panda" technique, I just made it up :) But actually, my question is really more about following the puck. Normally, when the puck is approaching, or in your zone, goalies normally are taught to follow the puck with their body/head facing the puck and always being in position and set up to stop a shot. Which makes sense.

...however, I noticed some goalies (Barry Brust comes to my mind, among others) just kind of stand there like they don't care, and only get into position when a shot is really imminent. I've noticed myself drifting into this habit now as I'm getting older, especially when playing back-to-back games and getting tired, I'll go into "energy conservation mode" and only move when I feel it's absolutely necessary. Don't get me wrong, I don't leave myself exposed and haven't let in any weak goals from being lazy. The idea is that an experienced goalie "knows" when a shot is imminent and when it's not. So instead of wasting energy moving when you know a shot won't come, save the energy and move only when necessary. 

"Drunk Panda" came to mind, because there are "standard" martial arts techniques, and then there are some of these "drunk" styles that are a little outside of the "norms". WHeich I feel this also falls under. Anyway, just curious to hear about breaking the "puck tracking" norms, especially from any goalie coaches out there...

• 1 month later...

Good clickbait.

I do the high-school-goalie-windmill-super-flared-butterfly-tiny-paddle-arms-out-post-to-post-butterfly-cup-checking style. I here the Floppy McFloppington method is quite effective though. I've also heard good things and had good experiences with the padstack method.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:33 AM, estogoalie said:

...ok, now that I have your attention, there is no "Drunk Panda" technique, I just made it up :) But actually, my question is really more about following the puck. Normally, when the puck is approaching, or in your zone, goalies normally are taught to follow the puck with their body/head facing the puck and always being in position and set up to stop a shot. Which makes sense.

...however, I noticed some goalies (Barry Brust comes to my mind, among others) just kind of stand there like they don't care, and only get into position when a shot is really imminent. I've noticed myself drifting into this habit now as I'm getting older, especially when playing back-to-back games and getting tired, I'll go into "energy conservation mode" and only move when I feel it's absolutely necessary. Don't get me wrong, I don't leave myself exposed and haven't let in any weak goals from being lazy. The idea is that an experienced goalie "knows" when a shot is imminent and when it's not. So instead of wasting energy moving when you know a shot won't come, save the energy and move only when necessary. 

"Drunk Panda" came to mind, because there are "standard" martial arts techniques, and then there are some of these "drunk" styles that are a little outside of the "norms". WHeich I feel this also falls under. Anyway, just curious to hear about breaking the "puck tracking" norms, especially from any goalie coaches out there...

Erik, I think it might be a question of: patience, or reading the play (threat) as it develops (d-man pressure or open lane or odd numbers, etc). Price seems to do this now and then. I've noticed doing the "energy conservation mode" myself when necessary. I think I've gained enough experience over the years to recognise when there will be a true attempt at scoring or the guy will panic and screw up the play altogether (Not all great minds think alike ;) lollll :D )

Zui Quan I think it's called. It's a martial art that mimics a drunk to throw off the opponent's timing.

In warm ups I used to pretend to have a bad glove hand or some area I knew I was strong in purposely because opposing coaches/players often watch for weak spots or tendencies in warm ups. Then they get boxed out on glove side all game long and look baffled.

I think calling it Brust-erfly would work better than drunken panda lol

39 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

I think calling it Brust-erfly would work better than drunken panda lol

You sir just won the internet of the day!

With regards to the original topic, yes I also agree that it's somthing you learn to recognize over time as to whether or not a shot is likely to come in or not.  Although I don't give into the "relax when you feel like there's not potential threat" too often for fear of a bad goal, I noticed since resuming play that it's something I can now predict much more accurately.

Archived