Disappearance of 2 piece thumb&cuff on gloves

Max27

What is the real reason for the 2 piece disappearing so quick and everyone switching to the 1 piece? Never really understood what is wrong w the 2 piece besides the looks could ruin some graphics, but athsetics arent really the buying point for something in terms of gear

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could be a push from the manufacturers to streamline and cut costs for production. There are cases that some people don’t like the flexibility that the two piece offers and some even fear that a puck can get in between the two pieces (silly as it sounds, but the old T-1000 had a protective piece between the cuff and palm); however- you may or may not be seeing a true two piece cuff. For example: Factory Mad offers a two piece cuff inside of a one-piece body; Warrior offered that quite a few years back with their Messiah glove.  

Durability is one reason. Lots of impact on a two piece cuff over time could make it loosey goosey, whereas that same impact over time would have less affect on a one piece.

I'm currently using a one piece for the first time in 23 years playing and notice just in general it is stiffer, less flexible,  and more solid in resistance to impact.

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

It could be a push from the manufacturers to streamline and cut costs for production. There are cases that some people don’t like the flexibility that the two piece offers and some even fear that a puck can get in between the two pieces (silly as it sounds, but the old T-1000 had a protective piece between the cuff and palm); however- you may or may not be seeing a true two piece cuff. For example: Factory Mad offers a two piece cuff inside of a one-piece body; Warrior offered that quite a few years back with their Messiah glove.  

seeing the newest 2 pieces, like the ones on the v8, the SLR, the Heritage glove, I dont see how a shot would get thru that. 

I remember in an old brians model, I think it was the Sub2 glove, they had a 2 piece dressed as a 1 piece and now call their gloves a ¨True¨ 1 piece

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Durability is one reason. Lots of impact on a two piece cuff over time could make it loosey goosey, whereas that same impact over time would have less affect on a one piece.

I'm currently using a one piece for the first time in 23 years playing and notice just in general it is stiffer, less flexible,  and more solid in resistance to impact.

yeah i could see that, but a lot of the weight on 1 pieces are supposedly put in the cuff area, appealing to blocking shots more than catching them. Not sure if thats true or not, as the 2 gloves ive had, being an old Reebok 6k, and a Vaughn Pro V Elite Thomas Greiss pro return glove, which have both been 2 piece, and the next glove im getting will be 2 piece as well. If it aint broke dont fix it, at least the way i see it :idk:

All cuffs are for blocking :)

I know what you mean, it is mostly just preference,  and for me at least, part of that is aesthetic.  As a recent convert to a solid cuff, I'll never go back. 

I think in a repeated lab testing environment of repeated impacts, a solid cuff wins.  In the real world, it is less relevant if the gloves are built right. 

On my last Vaughn glove, there's the spot on the corner where a chord connects the cuff to the body and the jenpro started to rip due to impacts from pucks.

That's what started my conversion.

Just now, seagoal said:

I know what you mean, it is mostly just preference,  and for me at least, part of that is aesthetic.  As a recent convert to a solid cuff, I'll never go back. 

I think in a repeated lab testing environment of repeated impacts, a solid cuff wins.  In the real world, it is less relevant if the gloves are built right. 

On my last Vaughn glove, there's the spot on the corner where a chord connects the cuff to the body and the jenpro started to rip due to impacts from pucks.

i havent had issues with my 2 piece offering less protection at all or any wear issues

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

but to each his own. I like the 2 piece bc it gives my wrist a wider motion range with my wrist  when postitioning myself, maybe its just me tho lol

1 minute ago, Max27 said:

but to each his own. I like the 2 piece bc it gives my wrist a wider motion range with my wrist  when postitioning myself, maybe its just me tho lol

Really?

Hmm. I'm not sure that makes sense. 

Whether or not the cuff is solid or split doesn't affect wrist mobility, right?

Just to clarify, you're talking about the face of the glove and not the back where your hand goes in, eh?

Really?

Hmm. I'm not sure that makes sense. 

Whether or not the cuff is solid or split doesn't affect wrist mobility, right?

Just to clarify, you're talking about the face of the glove and not the back where your hand goes in, eh?

it might just be specific to Greiss specs, but the Pro V Elites cuff is curved, and it, at least the way i position my glove, allows me to play with my hands a little farther out.
Could just be a mentality thing, but nonetheless It helps me with my glove hand thats weak-ish to begin with

I always found my wrist to be more mobile in a 2-piece, but that's not particularly something I want/need.

I don't think it really makes a huge difference, but having the pliability of the pads not being anchored to the entire glove lets it move around and whatnot. I like the on-piece since it stabilizes my not-so-great wrist and I feel like it takes hits more solidly, not letting me miss saves by allowing the glove to turn more.

@Max27 Aren't most cuffs like that now? I don't fully recall/have the desire to look it up, but every single glove I've ever owned since 98 has had a curved cuff. I'd never use something otherwise, too convenient.

Ah, right. 

Solid cuffs tend to be flatter, I think that's true.

Here's mine

cfa9e854b7263832_small.jpeg

it curves in at the end of the cuff how it does on the greiss one, could be something in the velocity line altogether. I havent used the v6 or v7, or any of the older models of the velocity so  i cant comment on it.

Just now, seagoal said:

That's a sweet mitt,  Max27.

Thanks! i love it lol

3 minutes ago, keeperton said:

I always found my wrist to be more mobile in a 2-piece, but that's not particularly something I want/need.

I don't think it really makes a huge difference, but having the pliability of the pads not being anchored to the entire glove lets it move around and whatnot. I like the on-piece since it stabilizes my not-so-great wrist and I feel like it takes hits more solidly, not letting me miss saves by allowing the glove to turn more.

@Max27 Aren't most cuffs like that now? I don't fully recall/have the desire to look it up, but every single glove I've ever owned since 98 has had a curved cuff. I'd never use something otherwise, too convenient.

youll see it on some, in some others like the Optik, the v8 xp, eflex/retroflex, and the ritual gloves are a few examples of the really flat cuff gloves im talking abt

Archived