Disappearance of 2 piece thumb&cuff on gloves

Max27

2 minutes ago, Max27 said:

youll see it on some, in some others like the Optik, the v8 xp, eflex/retroflex, and the ritual gloves are a few examples of the really flat cuff gloves im talking abt

I actually use an Optik lol. Maybe what makes it feel as curved as gloves I've had in the past is how much the wrist pad/anchor is floating off of it. Thing's great actually.

I see what you mean between those two pictures for sure. I mostly ignore CCM products, so my knowledge of them is incredibly limited.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, keeperton said:

I actually use an Optik lol. Maybe what makes it feel as curved as gloves I've had in the past is how much the wrist pad/anchor is floating off of it. Thing's great actually.

I see what you mean between those two pictures for sure. I mostly ignore CCM products, so my knowledge of them is incredibly limited.

it looks so much straighter in pics 

Screenshot 2018-09-17 at 9.41.49 PM.png

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Wow, is that on fully in the overhead pic? That's like a hand strap and not a wrist strap. 

If I had to ditch Vaughn tomorrow,  I'd go Warrior.  I think.

It is... just held on by the back of your hand. Feels weird at first if you're new to it... but you can square it up to virtually any angle and no worries about it coming off on hard shots. Solid cuff so it's more rigid if you take a shot while pressing an angle.

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

To be fair though, if that Warrior cuff was split that would have zero affect on wrist mobility. 

Wrist mobility isn't a function of the cuff on the face of any glove.

Exactly.

5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

To be fair though, if that Warrior cuff was split that would have zero affect on wrist mobility. 

Wrist mobility isn't a function of the cuff on the face of any glove.

what i mean is that i feel the way my glove curves in so much in a way gives more mobility bc of how far out i can positon it, and i wear it super loose. and the curved cuff allows me to push my hand out far and still maintain good coverage of my glove side. at least the way i hold my glove hand and play. everyones different, another goallie could try playing the way i do and not know what theyre doing in the slightest

1 minute ago, CG35 said:

It is... just held on by the back of your hand. Feels weird at first if you're new to it... but you can square it up to virtually any angle and no worries about it coming off on hard shots. Solid cuff so it's more rigid if you take a shot while pressing an angle.

Exactly.

Yeah, that a convincing testimony.

Warrior stuff seems awesome.  Haven't tried any, but man, I really want to.

9 minutes ago, Max27 said:

ya sure!

Here's a quick photo dump. Links because I didn't properly size them and my Chromebook is being fussy on imgur.

https://i.imgur.com/FtuHd9z.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6p8LA5Q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wGRZIX9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UIz37IV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4BYJgnh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OPvBYLm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/j6ESiwZ.jpg

6 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, that a convincing testimony.

Warrior stuff seems awesome.  Haven't tried any, but man, I really want to.

I can back that up. I've always cranked on my gloves incredibly tight, which made the Warrior feel weird as hell, but it stayed on just fine the entire time.

My last glove was a CCM premier and it really catered to my more blocking style of play, but I didn’t like the 590 break and I don’t like the 580 and 600. I believe the 2 piece has some flexibility to it and helps you flex your stick more when playing the puck, and when you catch it has a kind of snappy feel. Sometimes if it’s an awkward overhead catch it might flex back a little but the puck doesn’t come out.

one other thing is if you get a puck where the break is it might hurt a little bit but nothing too bad. 2 piece gloves are not out of style no matter what anyone says. The way the cuff is curved really helps to funnel it into the pocket of your glove is down for chest shots, rvh, etc. I love it and I don’t plan on switching out of it, no matter if you hate or love vaughn, their two pieces are unreal

18 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

My last glove was a CCM premier and it really catered to my more blocking style of play, but I didn’t like the 590 break and I don’t like the 580 and 600. I believe the 2 piece has some flexibility to it and helps you flex your stick more when playing the puck, and when you catch it has a kind of snappy feel. Sometimes if it’s an awkward overhead catch it might flex back a little but the puck doesn’t come out.

one other thing is if you get a puck where the break is it might hurt a little bit but nothing too bad. 2 piece gloves are not out of style no matter what anyone says. The way the cuff is curved really helps to funnel it into the pocket of your glove is down for chest shots, rvh, etc. I love it and I don’t plan on switching out of it, no matter if you hate or love vaughn, their two pieces are unreal

The best glove is whatever works for your game... if that’s a two-piece Vaughn... then thats what you use.

The evolution of the one piece cuff was driven by market demand for consistency, both from a shot-by-shot and day by day basis.

When I say "shot-by-shot" I mean the consistency of pucks going off the cuff:

• Under the red rectangle:
    • With a traditional two piece, taking shots between the cuff and heel of the catcher would result in weird pop offs, depending on where the shot hits.
    • Think of this as a knee roll on a goalie pad.  It's functionally inconsistent.
  • Under the blue rectangle:
    • Shots hitting the heel of the cuff would cause the cuff to kick back, again causing weird rebounds.
  • These issues are virtually non-existent with the one piece cuff.
    • The tradeoff is forward flexion, if you prefer it.  you could roll the cuff forward.

image.png.19e1e5a0a189ad12adb275ddade14aa2.png

Over time, you'd find that two piece cuffs would start to break down and bend back, sacrificing coverage.
Here's Price in a one piece glove.  Notice his hand positioning with the one piece, you fill a bit more space.

image.png.a778d2e985a598f7ca17f902dc3a4b9b.pngimage.png.ab673c0de608445ee6b1cbe7b7c11691.png

I think the one-piece cuff is just an evolution of gear. It's probably a little more stable, looks better, easier for graphics, probably easier to make, etc. No real reason to keep the 2-piece cuff I guess. Same with leather straps getting replaced by velcro. Evolution, practicality, easier, etc.

9 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

The evolution of the one piece cuff was driven by market demand for consistency, both from a shot-by-shot and day by day basis.

When I say "shot-by-shot" I mean the consistency of pucks going off the cuff:

• Under the red rectangle:
    • With a traditional two piece, taking shots between the cuff and heel of the catcher would result in weird pop offs, depending on where the shot hits.
    • Think of this as a knee roll on a goalie pad.  It's functionally inconsistent.
  • Under the blue rectangle:
    • Shots hitting the heel of the cuff would cause the cuff to kick back, again causing weird rebounds.
  • These issues are virtually non-existent with the one piece cuff.
    • The tradeoff is forward flexion, if you prefer it.  you could roll the cuff forward.

image.png.19e1e5a0a189ad12adb275ddade14aa2.png

Over time, you'd find that two piece cuffs would start to break down and bend back, sacrificing coverage.
Here's Price in a one piece glove.  Notice his hand positioning with the one piece, you fill a bit more space.

image.png.a778d2e985a598f7ca17f902dc3a4b9b.pngimage.png.ab673c0de608445ee6b1cbe7b7c11691.png

The bending back I get, but I still get maximum coverage in the pocket area with the LT98. This isn’t the greatest picture and I didn’t have my c/a on b/c I was volunteering, but the pocket is huge! Coverage hasn’t been in issue for me when I actually put my glove out more as I have a tendency not to do that. 

CFE23C51-6B5C-4688-93F5-DCB124917938.jpeg

Archived